What's for dinner tonight? Dinner ideas?

So this is happening, Cold Smoked King Salmon!

Using Hey Grill Hey recipe, Salt/Brown Sugar & Spice cure for 24+ hours. I vac sealed them for fridge friendly curing.

Next up is rinse and 4-8 hour rack dry in fridge, then 24 hour cold smoke with alder in the Bella smoke generator.

Fingers crossed!

Salmon1.JPG

Attachments

• Salmon2.jpg
    Salmon2.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Salmon3.jpg
    Salmon3.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Salmon4.JPG
    Salmon4.JPG
    290.1 KB · Views: 40
I’ve read to many negative things about cold smoking meat to try it.

Beef Back Ribs. Came out GREAT!
  • Used a mixture of Meat Church rubs - Full Gospel and Holy Cow.
  • Left it in the refrigerator overnight
  • Slow-cooked for 5 hours at 220.
  • When the internal temp reached 185 I boosted the temp to 325 until the internal temp reached 205 (another 30 - 40 minutes) and hit it with BBQ sauce in the last 15 minutes.
  • No foil or wrapping
  • Insanely good
  • Give it a try
    picture of beef ribs.jpg

The Mrs and the daughters were visiting friends at their beach house, leaving Junior and I to a) fend for ourselves, and b) eat whatever we damn well wanted. Anyway, this was my second try at this pork tenderloin; a basic honey/apple juice/brown sugar marinade heavy on the thyme and black pepper. The last go around it turned out a bit underdone for my taste with a IT of 145; this time I let it get to 150. Not sure how it looks (I think this is the 1st time I took a picture of the food I was about to eat,) but between the 2 of us we ate it all.
IMG_0930.jpg

So this is happening, Cold Smoked King Salmon!

Using Hey Grill Hey recipe, Salt/Brown Sugar & Spice cure for 24+ hours. I vac sealed them for fridge friendly curing.

Next up is rinse and 4-8 hour rack dry in fridge, then 24 hour cold smoke with alder in the Bella smoke generator.

Fingers crossed!

View attachment 4102

GOOD LUCK ma man

Well... I started a Brisket 18 hours ago, and it is still not up to temperature.

My first brisket. I guess that is what I get for getting a 16 pound brisket at Costco.

Smoked it at 225 for 8 hours. Wrapped in paper and set temp at 250 for another 8 hours. Set the temp to 275 (2 hours ago) because I'd like it to finish some day...

Well... I started a Brisket 18 hours ago, and it is still not up to temperature.

My first brisket. I guess that is what I get for getting a 16 pound brisket at Costco.

Smoked it at 225 for 8 hours. Wrapped in paper and set temp at 250 for another 8 hours. Set the temp to 275 (2 hours ago) because I'd like it to finish some day...
What temp is it at now?

It is consistently 195+ all over, which is *much* better than last time I checked 60-90 minutes ago.

And for the first time it doesn't feel like tense muscles, it is finally feeling a lot softer.

It is consistently 195+ all over, which is *much* better than last time I checked 60-90 minutes ago.

And for the first time it doesn't feel like tense muscles, it is finally feeling a lot softer.
Good to hear, keep probing it until the probe goes in and it feels like butter. I would expect it to be any time now 195 to 205 respectively. The get us a few pics! 😁

Good to hear, keep probing it until the probe goes in and it feels like butter. I would expect it to be any time now 195 to 205 respectively. The get us a few pics! 😁
Good tip! I pulled it. Butter is a good way to describe it. I haven't fully unwrapped it yet, and won't for an hour -- at which point I'll demolish as much of it as my belly can handle! The juices on my fingers smell and taste AMAZING.

Good tip! I pulled it. Butter is a good way to describe it. I haven't fully unwrapped it yet, and won't for an hour -- at which point I'll demolish as much of it as my belly can handle! The juices on my fingers smell and taste AMAZING.
Yep, let it rest and chow down! Glad it got done and worked out for ya!

Traeger is sending me new probes because the one I have is at least 10 degrees high (and fluctuates in its reading about 7 degrees). While I was on the line with them I asked if they could send me the stats of my current cook -- and they could! The reason why the cook took so long is that I waited too long to raise temp as will be evident with these numbers:

set at 225 degrees -- 11.5 hours (I subtracted about 25 minutes for ignition, heat up, and noticing the grill is ready... actually with a 0017 ignition time it would be more accurate if I had subtracted about 45 minutes, oh well).
set at 250 degrees -- 6.2 hours
set at 275 degrees -- 2.3 hours

Next time, I think I need to smoke about 8 hours at 225, and then immediately go to 250, or maybe even 275. AND start with a smaller brisket.
I started the cook at 1am, finished the cook at 9pm. 20 hours is zoiks.

Maybe someday stats will be available in the app.

P.S. I used almost exactly 20 pounds of pellets.

P.P.S. This is what the raw data looked like -- they must be using eastern time, 03:17 on this timeline was just after midnight here (pacific time).
-----------------------------------
SILVERTON 810 - ROADSHOW - February 9, 2021 3:17 AM
TEMP SETTING # 225 F
HOW LONG- 716 min
AVG- 224.68 F
HIGH-249 F
LOW-37 F
TIME TO TEMP-19 min
SUPER SMOKE-True --- (also - I added a smoke tube)
AVG. AMBIENT TEMP-63.74 F

TEMP SETTING #250 F
HOW LONG- 374 mins
AVG- 249.19F
HIGH- 264F
LOW-190 F
TIME TO TEMP- 4 min
SUPER SMOKE- False
AVG. AMBIENT TEMP- 72.54 F

--- Note: I added 50 minutes to this last one, since they sent me the email about 50 minutes before I finished cooking.
TEMP SETTING #275 F
HOW LONG- 86 min
AVG-274.05 F
HIGH- 293 F
LOW- 214 F
TIME TO TEMP- 5 MIN
SUPER SMOKE- False
AVG. AMBIENT TEMP- 69 F

Total cook time: 19:38

Last edited:
Traeger is sending me new probes because the one I have is at least 10 degrees high (and fluctuates in its reading about 7 degrees). While I was on the line with them I asked if they could send me the stats of my current cook -- and they could! The reason why the cook took so long is that I waited too long to raise temp as will be evident with these numbers:

set at 225 degrees -- 11.5 hours (I subtracted about 25 minutes for ignition, heat up, and noticing the grill is ready... actually with a 0017 ignition time it would be more accurate if I had subtracted about 45 minutes, oh well).
set at 250 degrees -- 6.2 hours
set at 275 degrees -- 2.3 hours

Next time, I think I need to smoke about 8 hours at 225, and then immediately go to 250, or maybe even 275. AND start with a smaller brisket.
I started the cook at 1am, finished the cook at 9pm. 20 hours is zoiks.

Maybe someday stats will be available in the app.

P.S. I used almost exactly 20 pounds of pellets.

P.P.S. This is what the raw data looked like -- they must be using eastern time, 03:17 on this timeline was just after midnight here (pacific time).
-----------------------------------
SILVERTON 810 - ROADSHOW - February 9, 2021 3:17 AM
TEMP SETTING # 225 F
HOW LONG- 716 min
AVG- 224.68 F
HIGH-249 F
LOW-37 F
TIME TO TEMP-19 min
SUPER SMOKE-True --- (also - I added a smoke tube)
AVG. AMBIENT TEMP-63.74 F

TEMP SETTING #250 F
HOW LONG- 374 mins
AVG- 249.19F
HIGH- 264F
LOW-190 F
TIME TO TEMP- 4 min
SUPER SMOKE- False
AVG. AMBIENT TEMP- 72.54 F

--- Note: I added 50 minutes to this last one, since they sent me the email about 50 minutes before I finished cooking.
TEMP SETTING #275 F
HOW LONG- 86 min
AVG-274.05 F
HIGH- 293 F
LOW- 214 F
TIME TO TEMP- 5 MIN
SUPER SMOKE- False
AVG. AMBIENT TEMP- 69 F

Total cook time: 19:38
Or do the exact same cook with the same size brisket and start at 9pm instead of 1am. Especially if it turned out really good! I usually start mine between 8pm and 10pm. the night before for supper the next night.

Back