Pellets Pellet Dust Test ► Results Are In

I started storing pellets in these:

I keep the containers in a dry garage. They are nice. they hold about 20 lbs, and do a good job of catching pellets when I'm changing wood.

I started sifting pellets using one of these but it is a bit slow as it isn't very large. better than nothing I suppose.

View attachment 6816
If that isn't the wife's, maybe enlarging the holes will help, shouldn't take too long to do all of those

Did a thorough cleaning on the T grill today. Also did a pre sifting of new replacement nopened 20lb T Apple pellet bag. Emptied pellet hopper and did a auger clean out. Man did that take forever. Emptied hopper was Pit Boss Hickory. I know this bag was heavy on the dust on first pour. Used a third of the 20lb bag this weekend. The rest of the dust was on the photo and vacuumed today, The PB definitely had more dust then T. Plus the T pellets were in better shape. I hope the PB bags are just an older batch?
image upload software

Here's what I have for sifting pellets. Both from the dollar store, so pretty cheap investment
20210902_071344.jpg20210902_071330.jpg
Both purchased for pellets, so no worries about using the spouse's kitchen supplies.
I haven't had to drill out the holes on these, but it would be easy to do if I needed to.

Anyone recommend the kingsford brand pellets? Lowe’s has the hickory, oak, and cherry blend that I’d like to try.

I could see where Traeger makes an argument that their software for controlling auger feed so as to maintain the owners temperature setting is based on the properties of their patented pellets. Their energy density, their burn rate, etc. When designing that control loop software, you'd have to make some assumption about the fuel coming into the burn chamber...

It's interesting that other brands of pellets work just as well in terms of final outcomes. I guess they all behave the same in terms of burning properties, more or less.

From a marketing point of view, though, if I were Traeger, it would be a soft suggestion, because it would be unappealing (to me) to purchase a unit that demanded one exact brand of pellets. For Traeger likely their business plan is based on the old razor and razor blade business model, and they want you to keep buying pellets forever.

View attachment 7595I’ve switched to Furtado Farms pellets from Dickson BBQ in Canada. I’m mixing in a little of my last bag of Traeger pellets to use them up.
Thank for the great research, Slim.
I am happy with the Furtado Farms pellets. Very little dust in the bag, and not a lot of ash. Not disappointed with the volume of smoke produced with most of their woods. Hickory so far for me has yielded the best results for smoke flavor

I am happy with the Furtado Farms pellets. Very little dust in the bag, and not a lot of ash. Not disappointed with the volume of smoke produced with most of their woods. Hickory so far for me has yielded the best results for smoke flavor
Still waiting for the pandemic to end so I can make a pellet run to Canada! This place is about an hour away from me:

Anyone recommend the kingsford brand pellets? Lowe’s has the hickory, oak, and cherry blend that I’d like to try.
I would definitely recommend those, my Lowes cleared them out a while ago, wish I had more. The ones I bought were 100% Hickory, least dust I have seen of any pellets (almost none) but I dont tweak out on how much dust is in the pellets like some of the guys here, I just make casual observations. Reason being is, after smoking a few times, there is tons of dust everywhere inside the barrel of my smoker, I dont think a little extra dust going in is going to make much difference. Dont know if everyones smoker is that way, but I just blow it out with a leaf blower, or vacuum it out each time I clean the pellet burn chamber. Sorry for late reply, I can't even remember the last time I have been on this site, an emailed reply drew me to it.

Last edited:
The dust amount is more likely an indicator of the age and handling of the bag. Same with most charcoal. How the bag was loaded and unloaded. How many times the bags were handled. Etc.

I was at a road show last month and asked their Traeger Rep if they still made Oak Pellets' and the answer was no.. I asked him what would be a good replacement, he said that his preferred Oak pellet was "Lumber Jack 100% Oak"... Currently Walmart is selling them at $49.69 (2x 20 Lb bags) bought 4 bags... these were more than Traeger but they have dropped Oak pellet's So I will report when I have used them..

I was at a road show last month and asked their Traeger Rep if they still made Oak Pellets' and the answer was no.. I asked him what would be a good replacement, he said that his preferred Oak pellet was "Lumber Jack 100% Oak"... Currently Walmart is selling them at $49.69 (2x 20 Lb bags) bought 4 bags... these were more than Traeger but they have dropped Oak pellet's So I will report when I have used them..
Did he say why they stopped? Supply issues or just wanted to focus on their new “blends” maybe?

Be been using Lumberjack pellets in the new Timberline XL, so far so good. In the past on my old Mak Two Star General I used Bear Mountain and BBQers Delight with great results.

Be been using Lumberjack pellets in the new Timberline XL, so far so good. In the past on my old Mak Two Star General I used Bear Mountain and BBQers Delight with great results.
What happened to your Mak?

Back