New Traeger Grill Announcement - Traeger Event scheduled for 3/30/22

Based on the app release notes and and online leaks, it appears this meater support is only for the new grill which makes zero sense since the meater plus thermometer is wireless and independent of the grill itself. It could still be recognized by the same app for any grill the app currently supports.

I completely agree. There are loads of customers with MEATER and WiFire Traeger's.

The ability to add your existing MEATER, MEATER+ or Block should be in the app.

I completely agree. There are loads of customers with MEATER and WiFire Traeger's.

The ability to add your existing MEATER, MEATER+ or Block should be in the app.
That would be a wise and prudent business decision. Giving more potential sales on the meater probe for those looking for options on probes. It would also be a good PR move for the existing customer base with the probes already

That would be a wise and prudent business decision. Giving more potential sales on the meater probe for those looking for options on probes. It would also be a good PR move for the existing customer base with the probes already
I bet they’d sell even more if it was integrated into one app.

If I have to manage 2 apps then might as well use my Traeger app and FireBoard, or Ink Bird, or…

It looks like they got rid of the T-850 and T-1300. If so, I think that's a bad move, considering the price jump. It may well be better than my yearish-old T-1300, but if they were to die, I'd think thrice (x 2) before considering spending almost double the cost. For me at least, I don't need/want an induction side attachment, and the little light will likely do nothing when there's actually food on the grill :)

Don't get me wrong - if someone gifted me one, I'd 100% take it, but given that's unlikely, just hoping my T-1300's stay strong for the next several years :)

Good luck to anyone who takes the plunge!!!!

The only real benefit I see of this new grill over my T-850 is the new 'easy cleanup' and that's yet to be determined how effective that really is. It's not a big deal for me to take a shop vac to mine every other use. I have no need for the induction top, or the storage areas. The biggest upgrade I was really interested in is incorporation of the Meater Plus into the same Traeger app, which they didn't address if this would work with the other grills, so I'm assuming not. There is no reason not to incorporate the Meater Plus with the other wifire grills.

Canadian prices are a tad more.
$4500 and $4900
Screenshot_20220330-110555_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20220330-110626_Chrome.jpg

Ouch

It looks like they got rid of the T-850 and T-1300. If so, I think that's a bad move, considering the price jump. It may well be better than my yearish-old T-1300, but if they were to die, I'd think thrice (x 2) before considering spending almost double the cost. For me at least, I don't need/want an induction side attachment, and the little light will likely do nothing when there's actually food on the grill :)

Don't get me wrong - if someone gifted me one, I'd 100% take it, but given that's unlikely, just hoping my T-1300's stay strong for the next several years :)

Good luck to anyone who takes the plunge!!!!
They still have the 850 and 1300 listed on the website. They have them marked as GEN 1.

The MEATER integration, easy clean feature, and storage cabinets are nice. Also liked how they designed it to be used in an outdoor kitchen set up. But even my IW650 is overkill for what I use it for.

Could anyone else tell from the presentation if the MEATER probes came with the new Timberline, or if they were an add-on option that might be available to us other WiFire users as well?

EDIT: Just did live chat with Traeger support and they're telling me that the MEATER probes will work with the new version of the Traeger app that was released yesterday. Anyone have one that can confirm?

Last edited:
Two meater probes come with the xl. Apparently it can log up to 4 wireless meater probes, and it has 2 wired probes included. Total of 6 probes at the same time.
From the video I saw they mentioned that the wireless meaters were Bluetooth connections to the grill. If they are using the grill as an interface between the app and meater probes, not sure if the app will see the wireless probes without the new grill
I hope I am wrong.

Engadget: Traeger's redesigned Timberline is full of smart grilling tech.

Mentions the meater probes
Screenshot_20220330-120741_Google News.jpg

Not sure how accurate the article is, so we won't know if this is correct or not

I was reading some of the comments on-line and it has some of the Traeger fanboys drooling and ready to hand over their money!

I was reading some of the comments on-line and it has some of the Traeger fanboys drooling and ready to hand over their money!
I can see that. Some of the improvements they made are definitely worthwhile if they work as advertised. The drip system and the burn pot, auger and fan location. All improvements over what they had previously. The ignition and fire management should eliminate any flameouts. It is supposed to detect and relight the fire if it goes out.
It just comes at a sticker shock price point.
It comes down to what one is willing to spend. I can't knock anyone foe spending that kind of money on a grill. I am guilty of it myself. I justified it in my mind, and bit the bullet and got what made sense to me.

Matt Pittman uploaded a video of him cooking on the new xl, it seems to produce a bit more smoke at the higher temperature when he was cooking the lobster. It is still a pellet grill, so smoke flavor will be what can be achieved from pellets.

Back