Help! I'm about to throw this thing in trash compacter

Cannot connect to WIFI....never has worked from day 1, spoke to merchant where I purchased it and he suggested buy a gaming router as they are more powerful and may work, well it didn't, now super smoke button not working so I cannot get it to forget network,

This piece of s**t needs to go, knew I shouldn't have bought it !!

Mark
I am with you. Absolute clueless implementation of WiFi (it reminds me of how difficult it was to get technology to work 30 years ago). Mediocre grill. Mediocre smoker. I am giving mine to someone I dont like much at all. Might look into a Kamado.....Note: to fix your wifi issue search for resetting it to factory.

I think it is best to use a dual band gigabit router. Mine has 2.4gHz and 5gHz channels for the main network and guest network. I dedicated the 2.4gHz guest network to my Traeger and it has worked like a charm since day one. Your router does have to be pretty close to the grill in my experience. Mine is only about 25 feet away and the grill says the reception is weak but it is stable and works without issue. Hope this is helpful.

The issue is the phone you use to set up the Traeger. It will switch back to 5 Ghz by default during setup of the grill, thereby losing connection to the grill. Do what the others in this thread have said. Set up your home network to have a different name for the 2.4 GHz band of your access point. Then force your phone to use the 2.4 GHz band during setup. Problem solved. You can go back to the 5GHz band on your phone once the Traeger is fully set up. The reason why Traeger does not use the 5GHz Wifi band is because it does not penetrate well through walls and grills are outside.

I feel your pain. I was unable to get my new Pro 780 connected. It turned out that the controller was faulty. They sent out a new controller and once I installed it and completed the initial set-up, things have been rock-solid. It's been nearly a month now and everything is wonderful.

I found the Traeger tech support people to be very friendly and they genuinely try to help. With that said, some seem to be more knowledgeable than others in my experience.

Good luck!

My guess is the tech support people outnumber all other departments combined....glad I went old school... most of this forum is dedicated to glitchy apps and software....
I don't need to adjust my smoker Temps whilst at the home depot.

My guess is the tech support people outnumber all other departments combined....glad I went old school... most of this forum is dedicated to glitchy apps and software....
I don't need to adjust my smoker Temps whilst at the home depot.
I get why the tech bells and whistles are not important to everyone–fair point. In my case, I actually wanted the connectivity and that was a selling point for me. I'm a busy guy and often lose track of time. It's been really handy to monitor my cooks from my basement office or get alerts when my meat is done or needs to be wrapped. Downloading recipes to the grill from the Traeger app has also been handy.

Cannot connect to WIFI....never has worked from day 1, spoke to merchant where I purchased it and he suggested buy a gaming router as they are more powerful and may work, well it didn't, now super smoke button not working so I cannot get it to forget network,

Mark
I have the same problem. Traeger knows it's an issue. They sent me a new controller board which I have to install. They claim this will make it work. I have my doubts. They need to focus on being a grill/smoker rather than being a computer. It sure has left a bad impression on me.

Mark
My grill sat for two months after I had it for a year and half. It worked great when we got it. Then they did an update to the software. Finally figured out the update and our new router couldn’t talk to each other. We have the timberline 1300. We changed internet companies thus the new router. It was a variable 5.0 megahertz. We needed a 2.4 so we added our old router with the new. Took 4 or 5 tries before it connected. Had to unplug router and forget network several times. It finally connected and has accepted more upgrades since then. Tell the person you bought it from that stronger router isn’t the answer. Traeger website is of little help if you can get through to them. Good luck. Don’t give up. I almost did myself. The grill works great now.

Mark
I had this issue when I first bought mine. Go to your WiFi settings on your phone and forget the network of your grill. Then delete the grill from the Traeger app on your phone followed by deleting your Traeger app completely. Then go to your settings on the grill and click about grill and hold the ignite button For 5-10 sec which does a factory reset. Re-download the app and redo the connection process. Give it a couple minutes after your grill finds the WiFi connection to download files/update firmware.

Hope this helps!

Based on when the OP started this thread (early Nov 2019), it would indicate that the grill was manufactured month(s) earlier, thus it would have come with version 1.x of Firmware installed, and since it has NEVER successfully connected, it would NOT have received ANY updates to a later version of Firmware ...

Firmware 1.x STOPPED BEING SUPPORTED by the current Traeger App & Cloud back-end in Mid-May 2020 ... it is OBSOLETE / VINTAGE / DEPRECATED ... it will NEVER connect ... FULL STOP ...

Until a replacement controller board is installed with Firmware version 2.00.01 or later, everyone's advice on how to resolve getting the WiFIRE Controller setup and running is moot ...

Based on when the OP started this thread (early Nov 2019), it would indicate that the grill was manufactured month(s) earlier, thus it would have come with version 1.x of Firmware installed, and since it has NEVER successfully connected, it would NOT have received ANY updates to a later version of Firmware ...

Firmware 1.x STOPPED BEING SUPPORTED by the current Traeger App & Cloud back-end in Mid-May 2020 ... it is OBSOLETE / VINTAGE / DEPRECATED ... it will NEVER connect ... FULL STOP ...

Until a replacement controller board is installed with Firmware version 2.00.01 or later, everyone's advice on how to resolve getting the WiFIRE Controller setup and running is moot ...

I purchased my grill about the same time as th OP in Australia and the current Ironwood series were not in the country then, that's why I asked him if the controller was the same as in the picture I posted The OP has a gen 1 grill, The firmware for our grills is diffrent to the new models. And they are not having the same issues as the new controllers. I think his issue is his WIFI setup.

I ha e a timberline 850 with the D2 controller and only 3 months old. Started out great but lost connectivity with a pushed out update. So after tens of hours online through tech support they finally mailed me a new controller. I was able to delete the old app and reinstall the new one. The grill has always worked great and is super flexible..had a green egg that was good but lots of effort..traeger is effortless but the WiFire needs to be sorted out. Once you have a new controller, you will like the grill! Go right to a WiFi supervisor at traeger, don’t spend any time with basic support is my advice.

My Traeger Ironwood worked flawlessly for the first 6 months, that’s when Traeger changed the software platform. The smoker worked but I did not have WiFi ability. Called Traeger several times. They sent me instructions. Total BS! Then I finally spoke with someone at Traeger who knew what he was talking about. Downloaded the new software. He also suggested that I leave my power on to the smoker overnight once a week for any updates...just like on a computer. Haven’t had a problem since.

I purchased my grill about the same time as th OP in Australia and the current Ironwood series were not in the country then, that's why I asked him if the controller was the same as in the picture I posted The OP has a gen 1 grill, The firmware for our grills is diffrent to the new models. And they are not having the same issues as the new controllers. I think his issue is his WIFI setup.

If it is a Gen1 Grill ... same issue - they stopped supporting version 2 of the Firmware on the Gen 1 grills back in early-to-mid May and have a brief section on this via the WiFIRE Status Page ...

If you have an AC controller running 02 firmware and are having issues connecting it to WiFIRE®, please call our Customer Service team at 1(800) Traeger and we will get you a replacement controller with the most up to date firmware.​
So if a Gen1 version of a grill running version 02 of Firmware, or a D2 WiFIRE Controller running version 1.x of Firmware, you end up in the same place - needing a replacement controller since the Firmware was never updated to a supported version prior to the old version(s) of Firmware being deprecated and unsupported ...

You simply cannot connect via the current App version and Traeger Cloud back-end with Firmware versions that are no longer supported ... to recap ... OBSOLETE = version 1.x on a D2 WiFIRE Controller & version 2 on a Gen1 AC-powered controller ...

With regards to the OP - he has never responded with what version of Firmware is installed on the controller ... Gen1 Controllers do NOT have Config Version files, and as such, have no listing for that value under Menu->Settings->About Grill, so that is one easy way to differentiate from a Gen1 to a D2 WiFIRE Controller ...

EDIT: I agree with you magoo40 that there is a connectivity issue with regards to his Wi-Fi setup that will have to be addressed ... but until a supported controller is installed in his grill, he cannot tackle the setup issues ... if this had been resolved before May, his controller would have updated and things would continue to work, but since it has never been setup, the unsupported firmware is now the primary blocker ...

Last edited:
Sorry you’re having all these problems. I have a pro 575 that I got last fall, and it hooked up to wifi...my crappy 50-70 speed wifi...through concrete walls to the outside...without fail right from the start. Wish I could tell you what I did to make it work. But it just does. So at least there’s hope! It even worked flawlessly with the newly updated app.

Back