Best Xmas gift - but I suck at bbqing.

Kitkat

Reaction score
Grill
Pro series 22
Hello all! I am here because my wonderful father bought me a Traeger Pro 22 for Christmas! I primed it, seasoned it and set out to make some awesome burgers (figured I'd start simple). I followed a recipe on the Traeger ap. I thought 10 minutes per side on high seemed a bit much, so I planned to cut 5 minutes off after the flip. While the burgers tasted good and had a killer smoke ring, they were well done and a bit dry.
After the burgers went wrong and as I have a 6lb bone in ribeye roast to cook today for my husband's birthday, I thought it might be best to research some Traeger recipes outside of the Traeger ap.

The Traeger recipes are often way off in terms of time. Here's a good link to a site I use fairly often. Just search for "prime" since you are making a ribeye roast, but you'll see that if you are slow-smoking it, expect about 30-35 min/lb.

HeyGrillHey

The Traeger recipes are often way off in terms of time. Here's a good link to a site I use fairly often. Just search for "prime" since you are making a ribeye roast, but you'll see that if you are slow-smoking it, expect about 30-35 min/lb.

HeyGrillHey
Was planning on using Roadrunner18's recipe (and keeping a close eye on the internal temp). I did see a post about binding or tying the roast prior to searing. Any thoughts on that?
Figured I'd start around 2pm for a 6 pm dinner.
Hope it turns out better than those burgers.

Welcome to the forum @Kitkat 🍻 I think it just takes a bit of experimenting to really get it perfect. I'm still trying to perfect burgers as well. Let us know how the ribeye roast comes out.

HeyGrillHey
That is a good site! I'm going to try the Dr. Pepper Jalapeno jerkey next week. Thanks

Hopefully you have a thermometer that is close. Also I would go ahead and check your Traeger thermometer while your at it. They are notoriously inaccurate. it would be a shame to ruin a prime rib. You will learn that cooking with temps is more important than time. While it is nice to get close every piece of meat will cook a little differently depending on several variables. A few weeks ago I cooked three 4 pound chuck roasts. #1 and #2 were about 8 degrees different and the third one was almost 30 degrees behind them. They were all about the same size and all went on at the same time.

Welcome to the forum @Kitkat 🍻 I think it just takes a bit of experimenting to really get it perfect. I'm still trying to perfect burgers as well. Let us know how the ribeye roast comes out.
I have just put my Chipotle BBQ Cheeseburger recipe up on the recipe section

Welcome to the forum Kitkat . Good BBQ is a hobby and skill, it takes time to develop and get proficient, dont get discouraged. I will state that ironically, burgers on the Traeger , to me anyway, are not as easy as a low and slow pork butt. Traeger's are best low and slow, so the burger and steak thing , although it sounds easy, takes some time to learn on your Traeger. Welcome and keep going !!

Get a grill grate for amazing burgers!!
Crank it to 450 475.
I do smash burgers and oh my goodness
Use SPG from Kosmos Q and absolutely perfect every time. Maybe 3 minutes a side Maybe.
The grill grate works wonders on steak as well

Latest Discussions

Back