Pro 575 Unable to connect to wireless.

bhamwrxman

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
I consider myself to be better than average when it comes to technology but connecting my grill within the app it becoming frustrating. I have tried all of the resets (wifi and factory), reinstalling the app, used a step- by-step I found on this website and still unable to connect. From what I can tell, my iphone tries to connect directly to the Traeger Wifi access point instead of staying connected to my home wifi when going through the steps. I purchased a wifi extender thinking that would help. The wifi extender is 10 feet from the grill but my phone still tries to drop my home wifi for the Traeger wifi access point.

I turned off the bluetooth and cellular data on my phone when trying to pair and that didn’t help either. It’s safe to say that my opinion so far is that Traeger makes an average grill with poor electronics.

Attachments

• IMG_1078.png
    IMG_1078.png
    88.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1079.png
    IMG_1079.png
    42 KB · Views: 3
My Ironwood 650 wouldn't connect to my wifi, so on my iPhone, I changed a security setting: "Private Wi-Fi Address" to off. It finally connected after I did that, but I had also set "Private Relay" to off the day before, so it might have been the combination that let the Traeger connect. BTW, I think I want those security settings on, so I have yet to turn them on and see if the Traeger maintains its connection. Worth a try on your iPhone to get connected- it immediately downloaded a software update when I got it connected.

... From what I can tell, my iphone tries to connect directly to the Traeger Wifi access point instead of staying connected to my home wifi when going through the steps. I purchased a wifi extender thinking that would help. The wifi extender is 10 feet from the grill but my phone still tries to drop my home wifi for the Traeger wifi access point.
To setup Traeger WiFi, you have to first connect to the Traeger access point. Complete the steps while connected to the Traeger access point. While completing the steps you'll provide your Traeger with your home WiFi 2.4GHz access point name and pass code. After the steps are complete you can disconnect from the Traeger access point. From then on your Traeger and Traeger app will communicate over your home WiFi/phone WiFi (or home WiFi thru internet to Cellular).

Last edited:
The issue with connecting the grill is that it only works with 2.4 gHz WiFi. Most routers today provide both 2.4 and 5 gHz networks and cell phones with try to connect to the faster 5 gHz. To make matters worse, some routers use the same SSID for both networks for seamless switching. Thus, you might not know which network your phone is using.

To set up your grill, go into your phone settings and disable 5 gHz WiFi. That will force your phone to use 2.4 gHz. Then connect the phone to your grill using Bluetooth. The Traeger app will guide you through the process of loading the SSID and password for your 2.5 gHz WiFi network, Hopefully, that will allow the connection.

The issue with connecting the grill is that it only works with 2.4 gHz WiFi. Most routers today provide both 2.4 and 5 gHz networks and cell phones with try to connect to the faster 5 gHz. To make matters worse, some routers use the same SSID for both networks for seamless switching. Thus, you might not know which network your phone is using.

To set up your grill, go into your phone settings and disable 5 gHz WiFi. That will force your phone to use 2.4 gHz. Then connect the phone to your grill using Bluetooth. The Traeger app will guide you through the process of loading the SSID and password for your 2.5 gHz WiFi network, Hopefully, that will allow the connection.
Unlike the Ironwood, the OPs Pro575 doesn't have Bluetooth.

Thanks everyone. I am going to try to troubleshoot again today. Going to smoke wings and cook a pizza for the games.

I had the same issues and realized I was not connecting to the correct Access Point (AP). So I checked my router and confirmed which SSD was configured for 2.5 gHz. Then I reset the grill and connected my phone (that had the Traeger App) to the 2.5 ghz AP and confirmed I had internet connectivity via speed test from my phone. Then I ran the Treager application again and once the phone connects to the grill it will ask for the password of the AP. Note at that point you are directly connected to the grills AP, not your router. If you get that far it will work. It does a number of things like sending password, checking connectivity, etc. but then will update the grill with new software and then disconnect from your app. Once that is done you can connect your phone to any AP in the house and it will reach the grill. The Traeger App needs a little more work, but once it connects you are golden.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I was able to get it to connect.

I downloaded the app to my wifi only ipad and was able to connect through the ipad. Now it is on my network. 👍

Back