New RTD

davidceder

Reaction score
Grill
BBQ075
I have an early generation Texas smoker about 13 years old.(BBQ-075) I just replaced my controller and was wanting to experiment with having my RTD probe mobile within the smoker. I would like to mount it on the grill closer to where the food is actually smoking. This is not difficult for me to do but I am not sure if it is safe or wise to use the woven cloth wires on most of the RTD probes within the grill area and I cannot seem to find a 2 wire RTD probe that has stainless steel jacketed wires.
Any comments or ideas are welcome.

I have an early generation Texas smoker about 13 years old.(BBQ-075) I just replaced my controller and was wanting to experiment with having my RTD probe mobile within the smoker. I would like to mount it on the grill closer to where the food is actually smoking. This is not difficult for me to do but I am not sure if it is safe or wise to use the woven cloth wires on most of the RTD probes within the grill area and I cannot seem to find a 2 wire RTD probe that has stainless steel jacketed wires.
Any comments or ideas are welcome.
The insulation isn't your everyday cloth. It's going to be woven glass braid or woven silica braid or refrasil braid. Glass rating starts at 500'F. Refrasil (impure silica) starts at about 870'F and pure silica starts about 1100'F.

Last edited:
Back