What's cooking today? 🔥 Pics are necessary!

Sauerbraten, for the Germans on the board, and some poppers/
IMG20220604160639.jpg

Smoked St. Louis style ribs, smoked beef roast and smoked corn on the cob. I am impressed with my beef roast smoke ring, my largest so far, it was delicious smoke flavor. The ribs were perfect. I changed my technique recently, and do all my smokes at 200F instead of 225F , for me the resulting smoke flavor is much better, just need more time, about 2 hours longer on average per cook.
View attachment 9519View attachment 9520View attachment 9521View attachment 9522View attachment 9523View attachment 9524

Do you usually separate your ribs before cooking? What are the advantages and disadvantages of doing so?

I have not yet tried cooking ribs. I have a full spare rib in the freezer, so I am looking at various techniques for the best results. Many people trim off the rib tips and cook them separately, but I have not seen many who cut between the ribs before cooking. That is why I am interested in your reply.

Do you usually separate your ribs before cooking? What are the advantages and disadvantages of doing so?

I have not yet tried cooking ribs. I have a full spare rib in the freezer, so I am looking at various techniques for the best results. Many people trim off the rib tips and cook them separately, but I have not seen many who cut between the ribs before cooking. That is why I am interested in your reply.
Great question. There is a scientific reason for this, I will share with you. It's complicated. Haha. I asked my wife to buy STL ribs at the store, and she returned with these that were pre cut and packaged that way from the store, That was the only STL ribs selection available apparently, so she did the right thing and bought them anyway. I was a bit confused by it as well, I would never purposefully cut them apart like that. But in the end they tasted great, but it was all that was available , I always prefer rib slabs of course. Not sure why they did it that way. First time I saw that.

Great question. There is a scientific reason for this, I will share with you. It's complicated. Haha. I asked my wife to buy STL ribs at the store, and she returned with these that were pre cut and packaged that way from the store, That was the only STL ribs selection available apparently, so she did the right thing and bought them anyway. I was a bit confused by it as well, I would never purposefully cut them apart like that. But in the end they tasted great, but it was all that was available , I always prefer rib slabs of course. Not sure why they did it that way. First time I saw that.

Thanks for the explanation.It is probably easier handling a full slab of ribs, but splitting them up does expose more surface area to smoke and seasonings as well as heat. Thus, I presume they would cook faster that way. There are lots of ways of getting the job done. I am glad your ribs turned out well. They certainly looked good.

What kind of size, temp and time you looking at??
I always do them the same way. I put them in a cold grill, top shelf, 225 F pit for 1 hour with 1/2 filled smoke tube, and it turns out the same every time, very easy. I forgot to get a smoke ring photo but the burgers get an excellent sized smoke ring ( 1/4 inch ) ,they really absorb that smoke flavor well.

I always do them the same way. I put them in a cold grill, top shelf, 225 F pit for 1 hour with 1/2 filled smoke tube, and it turns out the same every time, very easy. I forgot to get a smoke ring photo but the burgers get an excellent sized smoke ring ( 1/4 inch ) ,they really absorb that smoke flavor well.
So you put them in and then ignite the grill?

Yes, I started doing that just recently with all cooks, as I noticed a big difference in increased smoke flavor. The opposite of conventional wisdom, haha..
Not sure it’s counter to conventional wisdom. Cold moist meat absorbs the smoke best. The pellet grills billow dirty smoke upon startup that should definitely stick to the surface of your protein and cause the chemical reaction that produces the smoke ring. I dig the final product pictures for sure. If that’s your jam, rock on!

Back