What's cooking today? 🔥 Pics are necessary!

Mine are sitting at about 175 right now. Hit a stall around 1 this morning. According to the graph. I was sleeping like a baby. Cook to temp not time so I don't really care. I don't wrap my cooks because of what it does to the bark. I just let it push through on its own. They appear to be pushing through now We're not eating till after lunch anyway so I've got plenty of time.

Sorry folks. Wrong picture for early this morning.

bostonbutt12hours07032023.jpeg

And now they are really looking good.

bostonbuttgettingthere07032023web.jpeg

Last edited:
Mine are sitting at about 175 right now. Hit a stall around 1 this morning. According to the graph. I was sleeping like a baby. Cook to temp not time so I don't really care. I don't wrap my cooks because of what it does to the bark. I just let it push through on its own. They appear to be pushing through now We're not eating till after lunch anyway so I've got plenty of time.

View attachment 21515
Like you said, cook to temp not time. They are looking good! I put my two on around 8:30 last night and went to bed about 11. I left my phone in the living room and actually slept in for a change until close to 8 am. They was getting close to the twelve hour mark when I took this picture and one is at 174 other at 179. The Traeger probe is in the one at 174, it was showing 158. That’s 16 degrees off! I calibrated the probe before the cook. For those that don’t use a third party thermometer, this is a big difference and makes a HUGE difference in your results. I’m now at 190ish on each. About done.

Attachments

• IMG_8998.jpeg
    IMG_8998.jpeg
    335.4 KB · Views: 23
I swear my next pork shoulder is going to be a no-wrap!! Those look amazing!! Set me a place for dinner!!

@tomhooper & @Shedd what temp are your Traegers set to?

-PH

Last edited:
I swear my next pork shoulder is going to be a no-wrap!! Those look amazing!! Set me a place for dinner!!

-PH
Mine was initially set on 225 on the Traeger’s controller but actually varies from 212to220 so it cooks lower than setting. I turned it up about an hour ago to 250 and added a third party probe on cooking grate, it’s actually at 235 at grate/meat level. Low and slow, probably another hour then wrap and put in the Yeti until dinner time this afternoon.

Like you said, cook to temp not time. They are looking good! I put my two on around 8:30 last night and went to bed about 11. I left my phone in the living room and actually slept in for a change until close to 8 am. They was getting close to the twelve hour mark when I took this picture and one is at 174 other at 179. The Traeger probe is in the one at 174, it was showing 158. That’s 16 degrees off! I calibrated the probe before the cook. For those that don’t use a third party thermometer, this is a big difference and makes a HUGE difference in your results. I’m now at 190ish on each. About done.
I threw my Traeger probes in the trash soon after getting the pit. I use Meater and GrillEye Pro and just set the temp on the pit to match the ambient I want on the third party probes.

-PH
I run mine at around 215 ambient. What I set the Traeger on varies with the heat of the day. I think I ran mine at 225 on the Traeger last night. Held ambient at 215 perfectly.

I run mine at around 215 ambient. What I set the Traeger on varies with the heat of the day. I think I ran mine at 225 on the Traeger last night. Held ambient at 215 perfectly.
Yeah that’s the way I do too. The Traeger probes are not reliable, I only re calibrated mine and use it to prove a point to a friend. I also have a Meater plus probe in each butt. I don’t monitor my ambient temps on butts since I’ve learned my Traeger runs under the set temp. I actually just took one off at 203 and put it in the Yeti. Got about a half hour on the other one.

Attachments

• IMG_9006.jpeg
    IMG_9006.jpeg
    300.2 KB · Views: 27
Mine are off. Had to hack a chunk off of one of them to take out to my in-laws, 85 and 90 years old and still in great shape. Then ripped them apart and letting them cool a bit before I pull them. Don't want to burn my little fingers.
I'll put them in a foil pan, cover them, then put them back in the Traeger on warm till we get ready to eat. Here in about an hour or so.

bostbuttoffthepit07032023web.jpeg

bostonbuttrippedapart07032023web.jpeg

I cooked three racks of St. Lewis ribs on my 780 Pro today. I put Hog Waller on two and Sweet Preacher on the other. I set my temp around 225 for 3 1/2 hours then wrapped for 2 hours. I don’t put mine back on the grill. I cooked these for me. I enjoy soft easily pulled away from the bone instead of the competition style ribs.

Attachments

• IMG_9047.jpeg
    IMG_9047.jpeg
    300.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_9066.jpeg
    IMG_9066.jpeg
    323.1 KB · Views: 24
As many of you know I’m from South Carolina and we have a dish we cook that goes along with pulled, smoked chicken, and ribs . It’s called HASH! It’s still popular in our state, unfortunately not as much as it was when I was growing up but many of the “true” BBQ Joints (restaurants) still have it. It’s also sold all across the state on holidays (July 4th, Memorial Day and Labor Day) by charity organizations like Police Clubs, Shriners, churches, etc as well as some individuals for profit.
The ingredients vary depending on the area of our state. Mine is made with 20 lbs beef (chuck roast) and 20 lbs pork (Boston butts) and 20 lbs yellow onions. For this batch (my small batch) I use a very old #12 cast iron wash pot, it’s rigged up to sit on a homemade Lp gas burner. This pit yields 8 gallons of hash.
I cube the meat, add to pot with some water and boil meat until tender. I remove the meat to cool a bit and chop the onions then add to the liquid in the pot along with some seasonings. I grind the meat then add back to the pot and let it all cook down some. I then add a few more ingredients like vinegar and mustard then turn off the heat and cover the pot and let it sit a couple hours. It’s great over rice or on a bun. Some folks cook really small amounts in a pot on the stove and it’s good as well. I have a big family as well as a big group of friends so I can’t get away with making a little bit. I will end up vacuum sealing and freezing the leftovers. Hopefully someone will recognize this and chime in.

Attachments

• IMG_9043.jpeg
    IMG_9043.jpeg
    311.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_9048.jpeg
    IMG_9048.jpeg
    277.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_9056.jpeg
    IMG_9056.jpeg
    238.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9065.jpeg
    IMG_9065.jpeg
    301 KB · Views: 27
Yeah I also cooked something else! I had ribs on the Traeger, has in the pot and put a whole chicken in a small pot on my Webbers side burner to boil until falling apart. I made another Deep South dish of Chicken Stew. I removed the chicken pieces and poured the broth into a Dutch oven on the stove in the house (ribs and has was done and it was really hot in my outdoor kitchen this afternoon. I added a chopped onion and seasoning then cooked the broth down to a concentrate while I separated the chicken meat from the skin and bones. Then added cream, milk more seasoning and the pulled apart chicken. We eat this in a bowl with saltine crackers.
Okay I know I’m boring people by now, this is it for a few days or so I’ve got a house I’m building started so I’ll be working outside this week and it’s gonna be hot. Probably be eating out some for sure.

Attachments

• IMG_9055.jpeg
    IMG_9055.jpeg
    244 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9067.jpeg
    IMG_9067.jpeg
    242.5 KB · Views: 21
Yeah I also cooked something else! I had ribs on the Traeger, has in the pot and put a whole chicken in a small pot on my Webbers side burner to boil until falling apart. I made another Deep South dish of Chicken Stew. I removed the chicken pieces and poured the broth into a Dutch oven on the stove in the house (ribs and has was done and it was really hot in my outdoor kitchen this afternoon. I added a chopped onion and seasoning then cooked the broth down to a concentrate while I separated the chicken meat from the skin and bones. Then added cream, milk more seasoning and the pulled apart chicken. We eat this in a bowl with saltine crackers.
Okay I know I’m boring people by now, this is it for a few days or so I’ve got a house I’m building started so I’ll be working outside this week and it’s gonna be hot. Probably be eating out some for sure.
Love a good chicken stew

Smoked some chicken breasts. Used that mad scientist method of wrapping in foil with butter. Turned out really good.

Attachments

• 39A4DFA9-4BE0-4635-88EA-21000F5F0395.jpeg
    39A4DFA9-4BE0-4635-88EA-21000F5F0395.jpeg
    257.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 0544162C-3E03-4AAD-8BE4-AC3B98CC84E2.jpeg
    0544162C-3E03-4AAD-8BE4-AC3B98CC84E2.jpeg
    285.3 KB · Views: 29
Got some family coming to town for my FIL's 90th. Still in great shape and sharp as a tack.

Grabbed some St. Louis ribs. Sweet Baby Ray's for the binder. Mixture of Meat Church Texas Sugar and Holy Voodoo for the rub.
I'll get them on the pit here in a little bit.
stlouisribs07142023.jpeg

stlouisribsbinder07142023.jpeg

stlouisribsbinderrubbed07142023.jpeg

Last edited:
Back