Wagyu Beef Tallow - The ultimate Brisket secret?

Costco does not have brisket in the coolers, but if you get a butcher and tel him what you are going to do with it and what you want it to weigh, he useally comes back with 2 or 3 to pick from…
once I pick he puts the price tag on….
Maybe my Costco is different, but there are always briskets in the coolers. They were there when I last checked two days ago. I assumed all of Costcos were like this.

Maybe my Costco is different, but there are always briskets in the coolers. They were there when I last checked two days ago. I assumed all of Costcos were like this.
I think that largely depends on what day you go in there, and how close it is to a big holiday where many are cooking brisket.
My Sam’s Club “usually” has them in the cooler too, unless it’s 2 days before 4th of July weekend, in which case they sell them just about as fast as they can put them out.

My Costco seems to always have briskets in the bunker but this week they were priced @$8.99/lb :oops:

You can easily make your own lard and tallow, I do it. I have a real little crockpot, maybe 1QT? I trim the excess fat off of my pork butts, briskets, sides of ribeye, etc when there is a lot of excess. I cube it into about 1/2" cubes and put it in the crockpot. It takes about 12 hrs to fully render down and when it's done, the meat that's in there sizzles like bacon when it's done. At that point the tallow or lard is amber in color but somehow it turn white when it cools. I run it through a strainer but I know guys who use cheese cloth. I strain it right into my Litehouse salad dressing jars and put it in the refrigerator. Shelf life seems to be unlimited. Some guys use some sort of press to press every drop they can out of the 'cracklin's' (the little pieces of meat that are in there) but I just lay them on paper towels and get as much grease out as I can. Lightly salt the cracklin's and enjoy a PA Dutch treat. They're not really all that good but you just have to try another pinch when you walk past them. Oh, my crockpot has no hi/lo, it just plugs in. If available guys report using 'low'.

Diet means no tallow for me... the good thing is, I shouldn't need it if I cook my beef the right way with TLC

I use it to season cast iron and to grease pans so stuff doesn’t stick.

Jeremy Yoder (The Mad Scientist) is very persuasive. I had ruled out using beef tallow for health reasons, but now I am thinking that I should at least try it once.

Playing on the Yoder name, if I had the cash and the space I wouldn't buy a Yoder grill (as Slim wants to do!), I would buy the Franklin offset smoker that Jeremy has endorsed so much! Of course, none of this is realistic. ☹️

Jeremy Yoder (The Mad Scientist) is very persuasive. I had ruled out using beef tallow for health reasons, but now I am thinking that I should at least try it once.

Playing on the Yoder name, if I had the cash and the space I wouldn't buy a Yoder grill (as Slim wants to do!), I would buy the Franklin offset smoker that Jeremy has endorsed so much! Of course, none of this is realistic. ☹️
Ever run a big offset?

I use it to season cast iron and to grease pans so stuff doesn’t stick.
I made a little jar of it for this only, I just cannot add it to my diet right now, Dr. got me restricted.

I made a little jar of it for this only, I just cannot add it to my diet right now, Dr. got me restricted.
I’m not restricted yet, that’s why I won’t add it to food, if I do it’ll be sparingly. 😉

I’m not restricted yet, that’s why I won’t add it to food, if I do it’ll be sparingly. 😉
Yeah, we need to start eating more seafood, chicken, and pork, and less beef.
I think the Traeger absolutely does the best whole chicken, even better than my offset. It kinda “skins” over the skin, and I think that helps retain a lot more juice.

I think the Traeger absolutely does the best whole chicken, even better than my offset. It kinda “skins” over the skin, and I think that helps retain a lot more juice.
It does that to almost every meat, but like that chicken I posted tonight, whole chicken, half skinless, and the skinless part had bark basically, it skinned about a 1/32 of the meat and the juice on this one was unreal...

Back