London Broil-Method or a Cut of Meat?

Don C

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Silverton 620
When I was in my local grocery store, I saw a cut of meat labeled as a "London Broil".

I always thought that London Broil was a "method" of preparing certain meats (i.e. preparing flank steak to be used on fajitas, etc.) & not a specific cut of meat.

Am I wrong?

It is my understanding that London Broil is a method of preparation as you state. Originally, London Broil was typically prepared from flank steak. Now you are more likely to see top round being labeled as London Broil as most people think the round is more suitable for ground beef than steak.

When cooked low and slow, most of the cuts from the round can become a nice meal. The one exception to this is eye of round. While the muscle looks much like a tenderloin/filet, it lacks the fat marbling and is one of the toughest cuts on the steer.

Funny: I thought London Broil was a cut of meat. Actually it used to be an expensive cut and flank steak was the "poor mans" London Broil. However, in current years, flank steak is now more expensive. Go figure.

BTW: My favorite way of cooking flank steak is to marinate it with Catalina Salad Dressing and cook it med rare over coals. Usually 2-3 mins then rotate 90°, another 2-3 min & flip, another 2-3 mins & rotate, another 2-3 and off. Quick Cook. Slice thin at a bias. Always on our table a couple of times a month.

-PH

Screenshot_20240906_122322_Chrome Beta.jpg

Who knows how accurate this website is. I always thought it was a way of preparing a flank steak. But I have seen it advertised in stores here as London Broil as the cut of meat.

View attachment 24545

Who knows how accurate this website is. I always thought it was a way of preparing a flank steak. But I have seen it advertised in stores here as London Broil as the cut of meat.
In your Link it states: London broil can be both a cut of beef and a way to prepare and cook a steak.

That answers my Question.

Whatever the cut of meat it happens to be these days there’s not enough fat for me to invest my time into smoking it. My $.02

The problem with saying London Broil is a "cut of meat" is that it might be a different cut of meat depending upon the butcher. Unlike some cuts of meat that have specific definitions such as Porterhouse steak and T-Bone steak that differ only by the width of the tenderloin, there is no specific definition of London Broil. You might find flank steak, top round and sirloin tip all labeled as London Broil in the meat case. All three of these cuts are flavorful, yet chewy cuts of beef that are best marinated before cooking.

Latest Discussions

Back