Ironwood XL slow warmup.

What's strange is I used mine last night and set a stop watch when I fired it up. The temp was set to 400 degrees and it got there in just under 15 minutes. The cook came out great, it had no problem recovering after I open the lid to flip the burgers.

traeger-bugers4-july23.jpeg

What's strange is I used mine last night and set a stop watch when I fired it up. The temp was set to 400 degrees and it got there in just under 15 minutes. The cook came out great, it had no problem recovering after I open the lid to flip the burgers.

View attachment 21460

Burgers look great! I broke down and called CS when pre-heat to 250 stalled at 225 after 50 minutes. No solution other than maybe thermocouple or sensor. Ok, fine, so send me one. Nope, let’s try a few things once the machine is cool. Like, come on. I have no cranked it to 350, it is stalled at 288, and has been for about 30 minutes. Seems obviously a sensor or temp controller but can’t get any traction with CS.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve used mine a bunch on this set of days off and so far I have not had a abnormal temp stall. I’m cooking ribs at the moment.

Finished the Ribs, they turned out amazing. The cleanup was, holy crap a pain. Does anyone else that has a new XL or timberline find the inside of their grill extremely greasy? I clean this XL alot more often than my 885. I feel like adding tinfoil to the grease pan to help cleanups, but even my grills are greasy to remove even after a heating to 500f.

I guess this explains the amount of grease on The inside of the cook box. This is my first long cook with this grill and it was a mess on the inside, and the cook was not hitting my recipe cook benchmarks for my ribs.
I’m at my end of the rope spending time and pellets on this grill. More parts are being sent again.

Yes they did accept my Fluke meter, they normally do not accept third party temp devices, but I trust my meter over the grill reading. I did the same test on my 885 and it showed 15-30 deg between the readout on the grill vs the Fluke meter.

Attachments

• IMG_2603.jpeg
    IMG_2603.jpeg
    262.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_7590.jpeg
    IMG_7590.jpeg
    277 KB · Views: 44
I guess this explains the amount of grease on The inside of the cook box. This is my first long cook with this grill and it was a mess on the inside, and the cook was not hitting my recipe cook benchmarks for my ribs.
I’m at my end of the rope spending time and pellets on this grill. More parts are being sent again.

Yes they did accept my Fluke meter, they normally do not accept third party temp devices, but I trust my meter over the grill reading. I did the same test on my 885 and it showed 15-30 deg between the readout on the grill vs the Fluke meter.
Lordie, what are they sending now? I can’t even get CS to admit there is a problem!

Finished the Ribs, they turned out amazing. The cleanup was, holy crap a pain. Does anyone else that has a new XL or timberline find the inside of their grill extremely greasy? I clean this XL alot more often than my 885. I feel like adding tinfoil to the grease pan to help cleanups, but even my grills are greasy to remove even after a heating to 500f.
No pictures?
I’ve got a 780 and it’s only got a narrow top rack however I always use a drip pan lined with foil on my bottom rack and I use a aftermarket rack I suspend on bricks above the drip pan. No mess other than on the aftermarket rack but I always spray it with Grilling Pam, easy cleanup!

No pictures?
I’ve got a 780 and it’s only got a narrow top rack however I always use a drip pan lined with foil on my bottom rack and I use a aftermarket rack I suspend on bricks above the drip pan. No mess other than on the aftermarket rack but I always spray it with Grilling Pam, easy cleanup!
You can’t see the pics? One pic is a pic of my meter reading approximately 350f the inside temp, while the grill is showing and maintaining a temp of approximately 450f.
The other pic is of ambient temp.

This grill is the dirty SOB compared to my other Traegers I own. I said to customer service, how can I have blue smoke when the grill is at a setpoint of 500f and maintaining that temp. At that temp my meter was showing 380f. There is another thread on here about a timberline XL experiencing the same.

Last edited:
Lordie, what are they sending now? I can’t even get CS to admit there is a problem!
Can you see my pics?

They are sending me a new thermocouple wire, which I feel is not going to help. I personally think the scaling is off, my meter and the grill read the same temp when at ambient, but the grill temp rises quicker than my meter the difference in the readings gets worse as the temp increases.
I asked for a supervisor after I got frustrated with the person I was talking to, when they said there was nothing wrong with my grill.

I also asked the supervisor to put a note on my file to stop repeating the same troubleshooting steps everytime I call and wasting time, these grills definitely have a issue, and I expressed my desire to return it because I am tired of wasting my time with it.

I had no lid warnings on either of my tests today with CS.

You can’t see the pics? One pic is a pic of my meter reading approximately 350f the inside temp, while the grill is showing and maintaining a temp of approximately 450f.
The other pic is of ambient temp.

This grill is the dirty SOB compared to my other Traegers I own. I said to customer service, how can I have blue smoke when the grill is at a setpoint of 500f and maintaining that temp. At that temp my meter was showing 380f. There is another thread on here about a timberline XL experiencing the same.
I was referring to pictures of the “amazing ribs”

Lol, no did not get a pic of them. They were very tasty. I like a “on the bone” type of rib, so I don’t follow the 3-2-1 method but it was 3-2-1 timing on this grill, its my recipe and my findings today, confirmed my suspicions on my grill performance. How long time wise I cooked them, they should of been fall off the bone.
Until I get, or if I ever get to a solution on this new ironwood, I think the XL is getting benched and the 885 is my starting QB.

Lol, no did not get a pic of them. They were very tasty. I like a “on the bone” type of rib, so I don’t follow the 3-2-1 method but it was 3-2-1 timing on this grill, its my recipe and my findings today, confirmed my suspicions on my grill performance. How long time wise I cooked them, they should of been fall off the bone.
Until I get, or if I ever get to a solution on this new ironwood, I think the XL is getting benched and the 885 is my starting QB.
Good to have options

I've noticed the same thing. I seem to spend more time cleaning the new one vs the old one.

It might be a stretch, but I've also thought about whether the placement of the grease bucket beneath the grill could impact the food. Specifically, when the grease heats up, could its aroma seep back into the food that's being cooked?

I've noticed the same thing. I seem to spend more time cleaning the new one vs the old one.

It might be a stretch, but I've also thought about whether the placement of the grease bucket beneath the grill could impact the food. Specifically, when the grease heats up, could its aroma seep back into the food that's being cooked?
If so maybe add some liquid smoke to the grease bucket 😎 JK

Back