Ironwood XL slow warmup.

I was on the phone talking to CS yet again yesterday because I warmed up my unit to 450f and it got to its set point in about 25min, actually one of the quickest warmups I had. I threw my meat on the grill and started cooking. The temp was maintaining 460-450f. I went in the backyard to do something, and a little while later I came back to check on my dinner. Walked yp to my grill and it was at 340f. Well im home alone, unless the dog figured out how to open the lid to gey at me food, how and the heck did my grill loose that much temp. Well I feel I once again, I wasted a hour and a half of my life yet again. I asked to talk to a engineer, but they sent me to the supervisor and did more vids and checks. Got a email today that this is the design of this grill….
We are still enjoying the XL but we have been noticing these little quirks that Traeger says is normal.
Wait? What? The design of this grill? For this kinda money, I expect more. I finally made it to 450, opened the lid to add my burgers, and it subsequently dropped to 330 - it never reached 450 again. I am getting awfully frustrated-I wasn’t offered the video walk through, so I’ve no idea what is going on.

I continue to have similar issues with the new Ironwood, sometimes the grill works great, other times it has a really hard time getting up or back up to temp. I contacted Traeger and they sent me a tool kit and suggested I reseat some of the internal connections. I plan on doing that this weekend.

It sounds more like something to do with the programming of the controller to me, I'm really hoping a firmware upgrade fixes this.

I continue to have similar issues with the new Ironwood, sometimes the grill works great, other times it has a really hard time getting up or back up to temp. I contacted Traeger and they sent me a tool kit and suggested I reseat some of the internal connections. I plan on doing that this weekend.

It sounds more like something to do with the programming of the controller to me, I'm really hoping a firmware upgrade fixes this.
Please let me know if it works and if so, if you could share that tool kit.

Please let me know if it works and if so, if you could share that tool kit.

Will do. Traeger's support pointed out a peculiar issue where the grill seemed to indicate that the lid was opening, even when it was not. She noticed that during the warm up, the grill was reporting the lid was opening 2-3 times.

Here is the took kit they sent me:
traeger-tool-kit.jpeg

My lord, we are having the same issue. With CS yesterday, they said they saw numerous lid openings and I told them that not once had I opened the lid. All I got back was “that’s weird”. Did they sent you a new sensor as well?

My lord, we are having the same issue. With CS yesterday, they said they saw numerous lid openings and I told them that not once had I opened the lid. All I got back was “that’s weird”.

Glad to know I'm not the only one!

I also did the connection check over the weekend, didn’t find anything alarming or out of place. Not sure why the impact driver is needed tho, the screws came out easily for me with a screwdriver.

CS mentioned they also noticed my lid sensor was activated, but they could not tell me when if it was before my temp drop or when I actually lifted the lid. I think you guys are on to something, thinking about my instance more. When I actually opened the lid to turn over my meat, I thought it was odd that my temp went back to setpoint afterwards. When the lid sensor is activated, I noticed the fan and probably the auger slows down.

I also did the connection check over the weekend, didn’t find anything alarming or out of place. Not sure why the impact driver is needed tho, the screws came out easily for me with a screwdriver.

CS mentioned they also noticed my lid sensor was activated, but they could not tell me when if it was before my temp drop or when I actually lifted the lid. I think you guys are on to something, thinking about my instance more. When I actually opened the lid to turn over my meat, I thought it was odd that my temp went back to setpoint afterwards. When the lid sensor is activated, I noticed the fan and probably the auger slows down.
Interesting. I do notice that during the ignition and heat up, the fans and auger both slow and speed up at various points. Wasn’t sure if this was by design or if related to my issue.

Interesting. I do notice that during the ignition and heat up, the fans and auger both slow and speed up at various points. Wasn’t sure if this was by design or if related to my issue.

Hmm.. That got me thinking, I wonder if the fan is suppose to kick off if the controller detects the lid open? Seems like you would want it to kick off when the lid is open so it stops blowing smoke in your face?

Hmm.. That got me thinking, I wonder if the fan is suppose to kick off if the controller detects the lid open? Seems like you would want it to kick off when the lid is open so it stops blowing smoke in your face?
Yep the fan does slow when the lid opens, Im curious if the auger slows, I will have to check it out. When I see my grill temp reading low the next time I will see if the light is on with the lid closed.
yep CS supervisor told me its by design, I told them I have to turn super smoke on to get the fan speed up or turn the setpoint to over 400f on start up.

Yep the fan does slow when the lid opens, Im curious if the auger slows, I will have to check it out. When I see my grill temp reading low the next time I will see if the light is on with the lid closed.

yep CS supervisor told me its by design, I told them I have to turn super smoke on to get the fan speed up or turn the setpoint to over 400f on start up.
That is interesting - CS told me that to hit the higher temperatures, I should first set it to a lower temperature and once it hits that temp., to incrementally increase until desired temp. is reached.

For comparison, how long does it take your unit to reach, say 350?

Okay, cut the blue wire..... no wait, I think it's the red wire.... wait... oh boy, how many seconds are left?

Yep the fan does slow when the lid opens, Im curious if the auger slows, I will have to check it out.

That is interesting - CS told me that to hit the higher temperatures, I should first set it to a lower temperature and once it hits that temp., to incrementally increase until desired temp. is reached.

For comparison, how long does it take your unit to reach, say 350?
Not sure to 350f but on Tuesday it was up to temp SP of 450f within 25min.
Next time you notice your grill struggling to make temp, look to see if the lid light is on before you open the lid. I will do the same, I have never thought about the lid sensor until you guy’s mentioned it, and thinking back to everytime I noticed my grill stalled at a temp I have opened the lid.

Next time you notice your grill struggling to make temp, look to see if the lid light is on before you open the lid. I will do the same, I have never thought about the lid sensor until you guy’s mentioned it, and thinking back to everytime I noticed my grill stalled at a temp I have opened the lid.
Will do and will keep you posted. Definitely something wonky going on - it took me over 60 minutes to reach a temp of 250.

Will do and will keep you posted. Definitely something wonky going on - it took me over 60 minutes to reach a temp of 250.
Maybe locate the lid switch and bypass it or tape/zip tie it shut.

Back