Ironwood 895 power switch broke again!

Rick&Kris

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 886
Beautiful long weekend, perfect for smoking a pork loin. Pulled the perfect fit tarp from our beautiful Ironwood 885 and ready to fire it up. Went to turn on the power switch, and the whole switch popped out and landed on the ground. No way to power it on. Devistation!! I think dear hubby may have shed a tear. This is the 2nd time this has happened and we have only had the smoker for about 3 years. How does this keep happening?? We are thinking there is an engineering fail and when we pull the tarp off, it catches the switch. Called Traeger support, they are shipping a new switch. But what a letdown. I am thinking about trying to devise some type of cover for the switch to try and protect it. Any ideas? Either that or the switch is a piece of crap and Treager needs to do better. No smoking for us this weekend. Very disappointed.

I've never had an issue with the rocker switch on my Ironwood 885. I just don't tie the cover underneath the pellet hopper.

The rocker switch is an inexpensive part. Take the old broken switch to your nearest hardware store and get a suitable replacement. It should cost under $10. Keep it as a spare.

There are rocker switch guards that prevent the switch from being bumped accidentally, but I do not know if it would help with kssssa cover getting caught on the switch.

Do you routinely turn the switch off after every cook. I never turn mine off, even if I am working on the grill. I just unplug the cord to disconnect power. The switch stays on, even during the winter season.

Actually the switch (assuming) has two wires connected to it, you can disconnect the wires from the switch and tape them together to make contact and then plug it in. When done simply unplug it. Basically bypass the switch.

Beautiful long weekend, perfect for smoking a pork loin. Pulled the perfect fit tarp from our beautiful Ironwood 885 and ready to fire it up. Went to turn on the power switch, and the whole switch popped out and landed on the ground. No way to power it on. Devistation!! I think dear hubby may have shed a tear. This is the 2nd time this has happened and we have only had the smoker for about 3 years. How does this keep happening?? We are thinking there is an engineering fail and when we pull the tarp off, it catches the switch. Called Traeger support, they are shipping a new switch. But what a letdown. I am thinking about trying to devise some type of cover for the switch to try and protect it. Any ideas? Either that or the switch is a piece of crap and Treager needs to do better. No smoking for us this weekend. Very disappointed.
Traeger is garbage. I’m in the same boat. I nice beautiful weekend, go lite my grill just to find out I need a part but the weekend is here now. So very very frustrating.

I’m going to have to go get something better but wish I’d never spent this much on a lemon. I feel your pain and I’m sorry you have a bad grill too.

My grill lites but Temperature setting does not stop it from going to maximum heat and doesn’t let up. What do you cook at 500 degrees +. Pizza? I don’t want pizza, I want to smoke some ribs low and slow.

Traeger is garbage. I’m in the same boat. I nice beautiful weekend, go lite my grill just to find out I need a part but the weekend is here now. So very very frustrating.

I’m going to have to go get something better but wish I’d never spent this much on a lemon. I feel your pain and I’m sorry you have a bad grill too.

My grill lites but Temperature setting does not stop it from going to maximum heat and doesn’t let up. What do you cook at 500 degrees +. Pizza? I don’t want pizza, I want to smoke some ribs low and slow.

Since you are a new member, you might not realize that this forum is not affiliated with Traeger. AFAIK, no Traeger employees participate in or monitor the forum. Thus, your calling your Traeger grill "garbage" will not have any impact. The members here are those who routinely use Traeger grillls as well as others outdoor cooking appliances to make awesome meals.

If your grill is still under warranty, contact Traeger customer service for assistance with your issue. I have not had to deal with them, but others have reported that they are responsive.

Not really wanting to make an impact I’m just hoping to help anyone who is thinking of a new purchase. I appreciate what you said about this not being the best forum for complaints but if I can save one person….

Not really wanting to make an impact I’m just hoping to help anyone who is thinking of a new purchase. I appreciate what you said about this not being the best forum for complaints but if I can save one person….
Just because you had difficulty with your grill does not mean that you are in a majority.

Traeger grills are far from perfect, but if you frequent other grilling forums, you will find similar complaints from users with issues.

There is no perfect outdoor cooking appliance, but if you are willing to spend $5000, you can buy a Yoder YS1500S and come close to perfection. You can buy 6 of the Traeger 575 grills for that sum.

When I was in the market for a grill, I looked at the Pro 575, but decided to spend twice the price for an Ironwood. However, lots of guys here are using Pro series grill successfully.

I don't know what is wrong with your particular grill. Perhaps it is a manufacturing defect, perhaps it was not assembled properly, perhaps there are operator issues. That is why I suggest contacting customer service and let them help you work though the issue.

I’m just hoping to help anyone who is thinking of a new purchase

I think the way to help others is not to slag Traeger off per se but highlight for example when you bought the grill, whether it has ever worked properly, if it has when did the problems start, what the problem is (you have done that 👍) has it been used, cleaned and maintained as per Traeger instructions, have you contacted the dealer and or Traeger support, were they helpful or otherwise, did they send the relevant parts in a timely fashion, evidence as to why the problem on a new under warranty unit is unresolvable?

It may well be a lemon but the vast majority of Traeger purchasers are very happy with their none lemon acquisitions and if it is indeed a lemon / garbage it needs to be an evidence based lemon / garbage illustrating how Traeger have failed to correct the issue. That is a true measure of Traeger or indeed any other company to my mind.

Latest Discussions

Back