First full packer brisket cook

MJBunch

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780
Hey all, hope you had a great Labor Day weekend!

I cooked my first full brisket and the results were a solid "B". The Burnt Ends were fantastic while the flat was flavorful & tender but dry. I cooked them together & cut off the point after getting to temp. I'm curious how most people cook their full brisket. I watched a TON of videos and it looks like most people smoke the full brisket.

Thanks in advance for the discussion,

MJBunch

Attachments

• IMG_7300.JPG
    IMG_7300.JPG
    295.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7299.JPG
    IMG_7299.JPG
    341.8 KB · Views: 9
I'm curious how most people cook their full brisket. I watched a TON of videos and it looks like most people smoke the full brisket.
YES, and I keep the 2 layers intact and slice off the lone flat area for the burnt ends and other things.
Slice thru point and flat when carving, the rendered FAT between the layers is sometimes KEY to getting a moist flat in that area.
I take my dry flat area and those become just about anything you want... chopped for chilli, burnt ends, shredded for tacos, etc

Just SURF the site for brisket cooks, there's tons here and you will get the idea.

I do what the Mad Scientist BBQ man on YouTube tells me to do, just on a pellet grill since he is always using an offset. His brisket basics videos on trimming and cooking are fantastic. I buy whatever I find at Costco. No need for anything fancy.

I trim it the day before and then put lots of salt and pepper over everything. Let it sit in the fridge for a day and start it the night before I am going to eat it. This last time I started it about 8:45pm at 225 on the grill. Fat side up, flat towards the flame. I have the trimmings in a foil pan to render down and make a lot of liqud fat.

The next morning I go poke at it with my finger. I don't care about temperature at this point, I have no probes in there, I want to see if it jiggles when I move it and my finger can easily sink into the fat. This can be anywhere from 6am to 8am. Once that happens I pull it and pour the fat on the meat side of the brisket and wrap in butcher paper, reverse the direction of the brisket, stick a probe through the paper, and let it go until 205. This only takes a couple of hours more.

Next up is the cooler rest. I wrap the wrapped in butcher paper brisket in beach towels, put it in my big cooler that is also stuffed with towels, and leave it for as long as I can before eating. It could be from 9am until 2pm, depends on what the plan for the day is. Then I take it out, slice it up, and wonder why I don't do this more often.

Here are some pics from the last two times.

PXL_20240704_190015098.jpg

PXL_20240704_190604118.jpg

PXL_20230529_175954326.jpg

PXL_20230529_180502626.jpg

Latest Discussions

Back