Which Smoker should I buy between these 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

enginelord

Media
Reaction score
Grill
none
I have the opportunity to buy (for the same price), either a Pro34 or a Century 885. I am in a cold climate, neither seem to be double walled. I like a lot of smoke and with the Century seems to be an issue. (maybe both?) Anyone have a recommendation?

I have the opportunity to buy (for the same price), either a Pro34 or a Century 885. I am in a cold climate, neither seem to be double walled. I like a lot of smoke and with the Century seems to be an issue. (maybe both?) Anyone have a recommendation?
Pick ‘em. Intend to shy away from anything specifically made for the big box stores personally. Just me. I feel like they use up old stuff. That said, the pro 34 is older stuff. The pro 780 is much newer technology. I would bite the bullet and pay for the upgrade personally.

Pick ‘em. Intend to shy away from anything specifically made for the big box stores personally. Just me. I feel like they use up old stuff. That said, the pro 34 is older stuff. The pro 780 is much newer technology. I would bite the bullet and pay for the upgrade personally.
I can get either one from guys in my area. Both used only 4 times. Each is $500. But If I was to choose with no budget, then I'm about the Ironwood 650. (I don't need a big size). But I'm not spending $1500 on a smoker right now. So the question is really focused on the choice between those 2 models. You made no mention of the Century 885/ is that a Pro 780 big box style?
Thank you for your response.

I can get either one from guys in my area. Both used only 4 times. Each is $500. But If I was to choose with no budget, then I'm about the Ironwood 650. (I don't need a big size). But I'm not spending $1500 on a smoker right now. So the question is really focused on the choice between those 2 models. Thank you for your response.
I think they’re basically the same components. No?

Is one older than the other? Is one WiFi? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Is one older than the other? Is one WiFi? 🤷🏼‍♂️
Well this quote addresses the 885 only -"This grill is equipped with Traeger’s new control system which includes the D2 drivetrain and WiFier controller". So yes. And both about same age. The Century 885model is NLA. Been upgraded to the Ironwood series which is definitely a better model. So it is stuck between the old and the new. Bottom pic is the 885 Century. Top is the Pro 34
1642900902735.png
1642900852300.png

Between the two I would go Century because it has the newer controller

Thank you both for your input. I kinda figured that may be the answer. The Century is the first generation auto-control and does not allow for a heavier smoke application. And due to the older style exhaust vent (higher up) it does not allow smoke to be used as effectively. So without control I was concerned. The Pro 34 is manual control, which does allow for more control, meaning I can figure out a way to adjust as needed manually. Not sure if that is possible, but the 885 did sell for more when new, just no longer available due to design I read.

Last edited:
The Century is the first generation and does not allow for a heavier smoke application. And due to the older style exhaust vent (higher up) it does not allow smoke to be used as effectively. The Pro 34 is manual control, which does allow for more control.
The pro 34 is essentially a 10 year old grill with that controller.

The Century is the first generation and does not allow for a heavier smoke application. And due to the older style exhaust vent (higher up) it does not allow smoke to be used as effectively. The Pro 34 is manual control, which does allow for more control.
You can control the D2 (Century) controller from anywhere in the world from your phone that has an internet connection.

I will say this. Your earlier post said you like a lot of smoke. Depending on what you mean by that neither may be a good option as the pellets as is produce a clean smoke. It’s going to be more of a hint than a heavy smoke fwiw.

You can control the D2 (Century) controller from anywhere in the world from your phone that has an internet connection.

I will say this. Your earlier post said you like a lot of smoke. Depending on what you mean by that neither may be a good option as the pellets as is produce a clean smoke. It’s going to be more of a hint than a heavy smoke fwiw.
Thanks again for the responses. You guyz rock. I do like the 'option' of having an above average of smoke into the meat. But the 'option' is what I want but beggers cannot be choosers. I have smoked old school up till now where do or die i am in full control. Ima gettin' a little more lazy and/or intoxicated these days so some monitoring help would be welcomed.

All I will say is - beware of the temperature control on Traeger. For some reason, Traeger isn’t
giving much attention to the temperature controllers. It’s a common issue with Treagers. I bought my second Traeger about 6 months ago. My new smoker cooks at a temperature 20 cooler than indicated. I installed a third party analog thermometer to keep tabs on the temperature. I now set the temp 25 degrees (settings are in 25 degree increments) hotter than what the recipe calls for. I never use the internal temp probes because of the error. I use a kitchen IT digital thermometer for watching the IT.
So in a nutshell, if I were buying a new grill knowing what I do now, I’d do some homework and land on something other than a Treager.

All I will say is - beware of the temperature control on Traeger. For some reason, Traeger isn’t
giving much attention to the temperature controllers. It’s a common issue with Treagers. I bought my second Traeger about 6 months ago. My new smoker cooks at a temperature 20 cooler than indicated. I installed a third party analog thermometer to keep tabs on the temperature. I now set the temp 25 degrees (settings are in 25 degree increments) hotter than what the recipe calls for. I never use the internal temp probes because of the error. I use a kitchen IT digital thermometer for watching the IT.
So in a nutshell, if I were buying a new grill knowing what I do now, I’d do some homework and land on something other than a Treager.
FWIW I'm pretty sure it probably fluctuates a bit. Even the highest end kitchen oven will fluctuate +/- 25 degrees. Meaning a 50 degree overall swing potential. Since your controller is a 25 degree increment, it is quite old technology and I'm pretty sure isn't even their PID equivalent.

Most of the top manufactures are realizing that steady temps equal less smoke profile. There is a bit of R&D ongoing to move away from the rock steady PID temp control in favor of an average fluctuating control which can provide a more pronounced smoke profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back