Which Smoker should I buy between these 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Treager I have was bought new 6 months ago directly from Traeger. So it’s not old technology.
Yes, the temp does fluctuate up and down by 20-25 degrees through the cooking process, just as my old Traeger did. But the average temp is pretty much where your controller is set…i.e. set at 225 and it will fluctuate between 205-245, give or take a few degrees.
That’s not the case with my new Traeger. If I set it at 225, it shows fluctuations as I mentioned, but in reality the true temp is 20 degrees lower. This was verified by the analogue thermometer I installed. In other words, if the Traeger temp is reading 230, the true temp is only 210.
Until I figured out the problem, it resulted in under cooked meats requiring additional cook times.

The Treager I have was bought new 6 months ago directly from Traeger. So it’s not old technology.
Yes, the temp does fluctuate up and down by 20-25 degrees through the cooking process, just as my old Traeger did. But the average temp is pretty much where your controller is set…i.e. set at 225 and it will fluctuate between 205-245, give or take a few degrees.
That’s not the case with my new Traeger. If I set it at 225, it shows fluctuations as I mentioned, but in reality the true temp is 20 degrees lower. This was verified by the analogue thermometer I installed. In other words, if the Traeger temp is reading 230, the true temp is only 210.
Until I figured out the problem, it resulted in under cooked meats requiring additional cook times.
I hate to be the one to break it to you, but if you are only able to adjust temps in 25 degree increments then it is very old technology. This doesn't mean it won't work or they still don't sell it. It's significantly less expensive than the current technology. You are correct though, it will take longer if the temps are lower.

Then Traeger is selling very old technology. It’s a brand new grill bought directly from Traeger
Yes, they sell a wide range of products utilizing a range of technology. From the Timberline and Ironwood models down to the analog controlled models. The price is reflective of the level of build and technology utilized. Did you not look into the various models and notice the vast differences? They all work, but the higher priced models obviously have a better build quality and their highest level of technology. Heck, even their best models are currently using their technology from a few years ago. It usually takes at least a few years or more for them to launch new stuff. That’s probably a good thing as it allows them to ferret out any problems before the product hits the marketplace.

You should know that the grill technology you are using was good enough to win world championships in the competition bbq circuit in years past. So, in the right hands, it’s more than adequate to produce the very highest quality of bbq. It just doesn’t have some of the bells and whistles of the newer stuff. Enjoy!

I the right hands? This is my second Traeger. I’ve been using Traeger’s for about 15 years. I know about the background of Traeger’s as a friend has been very successful at the Houston Rodeo BBQ Cook-off using a Traeger. In fact he sold me my first Traeger.
What I have been saying is the Traeger temp control isn’t up to par, regardless of the technology. I’ve read a number of posts saying such.

I the right hands? This is my second Traeger. I’ve been using Traeger’s for about 15 years. I know about the background of Traeger’s as a friend has been very successful at the Houston Rodeo BBQ Cook-off using a Traeger. In fact he sold me my first Traeger.
What I have been saying is the Traeger temp control isn’t up to par, regardless of the technology. I’ve read a number of posts saying such.
Sure.

I believe if you focused more on reading instead of being condescending you would get what this dude is saying, which is a very common Traeger problem - his temp probes are off by an offset of around 20 or 25 degrees. He's not talking technology, or increments, but offset.

Mine is the same way. If I want to cook at say 270 then I need to set my Traeger to 300. Offset.

He isn't, i don't believe, saying that his dial only changes in 25 degree increments. What he is saying is that the difference between what his traeger says the temp of the pit is and what it actually is varies by 20-25 degrees consistently. Mine does the same.

I believe if you focused more on reading instead of being condescending you would get what this dude is saying, which is a very common Traeger problem - his temp probes are off by an offset of around 20 or 25 degrees. He's not talking technology, or increments, but offset.

Mine is the same way. If I want to cook at say 270 then I need to set my Traeger to 300. Offset.
I simply don’t think it’s a big deal or really a problem. If you can read you’d notice I mentioned that the very best kitchen ovens are routinely off by more the 20 degrees. It’s no big deal cuz no one realizes it. This is a mountain of a mole hill issue. There are tons of OCD type people that vacillate over every insignificant detail. But hey, it’s just my opinion and it’s as valid as yours to me. 😁 I don’t know how many people enjoy anything. The are busy being dissatisfied. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I simply don’t think it’s a big deal or really a problem. If you can read you’d notice I mentioned that the very best kitchen ovens are routinely off by more the 20 degrees. It’s no big deal cuz no one realizes it. This is a mountain of a mole hill issue. There are tons of OCD type people that vacillate over every insignificant detail. But hey, it’s just my opinion and it’s as valid as yours to me. 😁 I don’t know how many people enjoy anything. The are busy being dissatisfied. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Ah, it is a big deal if you want to cook at 270 and you're cooking at 240 (+/- 10 or so degree throughout). Doesn't mean your OCD. Doesn't mean you can't enjoy. Just means you want to know the temperature of your grill so you can plan you cook.

Pretty easy concept, or so I thought.

YES, a very common issue and we all know exactly how to compensate for it with our 3rd party probes mounted next to the Traeger probe and adjust for the temp you seek. The Traeger factory RTD is a cheap piece of :poop: ... not to be trusted for accurate internal temps by itself.
All I will say is - beware of the temperature control on Traeger. For some reason, Traeger isn’t
giving much attention to the temperature controllers. It’s a common issue with Treagers. I bought my second Traeger about 6 months ago. My new smoker cooks at a temperature 20 cooler than indicated. I installed a third party analog thermometer to keep tabs on the temperature. I now set the temp 25 degrees (settings are in 25 degree increments) hotter than what the recipe calls for. I never use the internal temp probes because of the error. I use a kitchen IT digital thermometer for watching the IT.
So in a nutshell, if I were buying a new grill knowing what I do now, I’d do some homework and land on something other than a Treager.

This is not wrong, it is your opinion and yes, it is a common issue and we all have on the Traeger. I just happen to use a more reliable and expensive probe than you, but you have the right idea. HOWEVER, you should install it next to the factory RTD to know exactly how much to adjust the Traeger temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back