Poultry Traeger Orange Brine and Turkey Rub Kit

TraegarGM12

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780
Purchased the traeger orange turkey brine and rub kit and noticed it says it's for an 18-20 lb turkey but I'm only smoking a 12 lb turkey. Worried that using the whole packet will make it too salty or something. Any suggestions? Maybe use 3/4 of the packet? Not going to matter?

Any input appreciate thanks!

I have other turkey brine kits, they all say to use less of the brine if your bird is smaller than 'suggested'

Purchased the traeger orange turkey brine and rub kit and noticed it says it's for an 18-20 lb turkey

Oddly enough the Traeger app recipe for this kit says 12-16lb turkey, another online version (see below) says 12-14lb whilst presumably the instructions in the kit itself say 18-20lb?

I have an unopened kit ready for Xmas but don't want to open it just yet to check but having done my Xmas turkey in a Traeger using this kit without adjusting the brine concentration I cant praise it enough... best turkey ever according to my family peer reviews! :)

So for the past 3 years I have done 12-14lb turkeys using the whole brine packet and nobody has commented on them being over salty, conversely if you are concerned just use a bit more water to dilute the brine.

To date I have not used any bourbon as suggested as an optional extra.

Last edited:
Back