What's cooking today? đŸ”„ Pics are necessary!

Other than using St. Louis style ribs next time, what else do you plan to change with your next cook?

What temp temp was your oil?
Really I don’t think I would change anything because they had a great texture and I liked the rub. I keep a breading I make for chicken tenders and country fried steak in a big container, it has flour, seasoned bread crumbs, seasoning salt and black pepper in it. I rolled the ribs in it and my deep fryer was on high so around 375 degrees. Didn’t take but couple minutes. After frying I brushed them with a family recipe tomato based brown sugar with medium heat bbq sauce. They are good and different. I still like my regular whole racks of ribs that are falling off the bone but these are still really good.

8.57 lb pork butt,
No wrap cook with bear mountain oak. I’ve really enjoyed these pellets. Love the bark I get and the flavor. Happy Saturday!

Attachments

• IMG_2758.jpeg
    IMG_2758.jpeg
    324.1 KB · Views: 10
Not really cooking anything
Smoking some salt and paprika (not true smoked paprika like you can buy, but this method gets me close)
Breaking out the Bradley Electric for thos task
20240803_074251.jpg20240803_074628.jpg
20240803_074641.jpg20240803_110911.jpg20240803_110915.jpg

Last edited:
What's your recipe?
It was about 4-1/2 lbs of wings. I sprinkled them with Holy Voodoo and about 1-1/2 teaspoons of baking powder, tossed them and left them in the fridge until I was ready to cook (about 3-4 hours). Heated the grill to 250°F. Just before I put the wings on I used 2 tablespoons of copycat KFC breading and quickly tossed.
On the grill and turned after an hour. And then checked them at the 2 hour mark. Perfectly crispy skins, so they were done. Temp check showed 180-200 for the wings. Most being close or at 200. That ensures the fat under the skin is rendered and your skin crisps
The breading may not be necessary but I find it helps the sauces to adhere better

It was about 4-1/2 lbs of wings. I sprinkled them with Holy Voodoo and about 1-1/2 teaspoons of baking powder, tossed them and left them in the fridge until I was ready to cook (about 3-4 hours). Heated the grill to 250°F. Just before I put the wings on I used 2 tablespoons of copycat KFC breading and quickly tossed.
On the grill and turned after an hour. And then checked them at the 2 hour mark. Perfectly crispy skins, so they were done. Temp check showed 180-200 for the wings. Most being close or at 200. That ensures the fat under the skin is rendered and your skin crisps
The breading may not be necessary but I find it helps the sauces to adhere better
Is the copycat KFC a commercial product, or can you share that recipe too?
Thanks,
-PH

What is the reasoning behind using baking powder?

Is the copycat KFC a commercial product, or can you share that recipe too?
Thanks,
-PH
20240806_171617.jpg

I use the MSG, but it's optional
I added 1 tablespoon of baking powder and 1/2 cup of rice flour to help with make it even crispier. But it isn't necessary

If you want as close to KFC as possible, these folks used to make it for the Colonel and although they can't make it 100% identical, they say you can't taste the difference when you use their product

Edit to add this photo which is reported to be the actual hand written recipe from the colonel
Screenshot_20240811_212355_Chrome Beta.jpg

Last edited:
What is the reasoning behind using baking powder?
It helps achieve the crispy skin we all look for on chicken and especially chicken wings. I used much less than recommended because I added a tablespoon to rhe KFC mix above as well as 1/2 cup of rice flour
Screenshot_20240806_172122_Google.jpg

Noticed RustyJakes recipe for wings, so decided to give it a try for chicken legs. (Costco had a sale; we like to keep a dozen of so in the fridge over the summer for ‘snack attacks’ and unexpected drop-ins.)

Followed Rusty’s rub suggestion (Holy Voodoo with baking powder) and a four hour marinate in the fridge. Didn’t try the KFC coating, but will next time. Put them on the Pro 22 at Smoke setting using a competition blend I picked up on sale. Then boosted the cook temp to 250Âș and let her run.
Using an instant-read thermometer, checked the meat temps as follow:
  • After 45’ - 145Âș. Skin had already firmed up.
  • 1:25’ - 175Âș. Nice golden brown.
  • 1:55 - 180+Âș. Redistributed the legs and turned over, applied a bit more rub.
  • 2:30 - 190Âș average.
  • 3:00 - 195Âș average: done. Removed legs from smoker to platter to rest for 15’.
Gave it a bite test: Excellent - moist meat, crispy skin with good flavour (Too heavy on the maple smoke; so competition blend now relegated to pork.) Just the right amount of spice on the lips (thanks, Matt) but not overpowering.
Next time: will use hickory pellets, and add a pretend KFC coating.
Next up: ribs on Monday.

Attachments

• 295-just went on.png
    295-just went on.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • 296_just came off.png
    296_just came off.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
Noticed RustyJakes recipe for wings, so decided to give it a try for chicken legs. (Costco had a sale; we like to keep a dozen of so in the fridge over the summer for ‘snack attacks’ and unexpected drop-ins.)

Followed Rusty’s rub suggestion (Holy Voodoo with baking powder) and a four hour marinate in the fridge. Didn’t try the KFC coating, but will next time. Put them on the Pro 22 at Smoke setting using a competition blend I picked up on sale. Then boosted the cook temp to 250Âș and let her run.
Using an instant-read thermometer, checked the meat temps as follow:
  • After 45’ - 145Âș. Skin had already firmed up.
  • 1:25’ - 175Âș. Nice golden brown.
  • 1:55 - 180+Âș. Redistributed the legs and turned over, applied a bit more rub.
  • 2:30 - 190Âș average.
  • 3:00 - 195Âș average: done. Removed legs from smoker to platter to rest for 15’.
Gave it a bite test: Excellent - moist meat, crispy skin with good flavour (Too heavy on the maple smoke; so competition blend now relegated to pork.) Just the right amount of spice on the lips (thanks, Matt) but not overpowering.
Next time: will use hickory pellets, and add a pretend KFC coating.
Next up: ribs on Monday.
Awesome! Sounds like it woked well for you. Maybe you didn't need to use the smoke setting? My chicken had a perfect amount of smoke at 250 for the whole time. One of the videos I watched the guy put them up to 425 at the end to get even crispier. I didn't think it needed that. The crispiness was like deep fried to me.
I only used the KFC coating to give a little substance to the surface to hold more sauce.

BRISKET TODAY.....last Pic was entering stall

Attachments

• 20240811_100731.jpg
    20240811_100731.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240811_091424.jpg
    20240811_091424.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240811_120820.jpg
    20240811_120820.jpg
    423.3 KB · Views: 6
Back