Temperature Difference Actual vs. Display

SmokerBoy

Reaction score
Grill
Century 885
I have an almost new Century 885 and the difference between the actual temperature in the grill (oven thermometer) and what is showing on the display is way off. A temperature setting of 400 yields an internal temp of 305 at best. The higher I set the temperature it seems the larger the discrepancy. At a 475 setting I'm barely getting 375. Testing the ambient temperature readings everything looks correct. Anyone seen something like this before? I may have bought a lemon.

New to Traeger. Nothing we have cooked turned out juicey except chicken.. I follow the receipes to a tee an temps and probe temps never match up. Dissapointed.. Did ribs last weekend 250 degrees for six hours as per recipe. After six hrs probe temp was 135 raw pork.. Cranked up heat, not impressed with turn out

I’ve been using Traeger for many years and I had just swapped out my old reliable, accurate Big Tex for this new Century. Disappointed. It’s really a step backward. Nice new technology but the real test is in the food.

I have the same problem on a new Ironwood 885. Have you gotten anywhere with Traeger support?

I have the same problem on a new Ironwood 885. Have you gotten anywhere with Traeger support?
I haven't made any progress. I called tech support and they sent me a new temperature monitor probe but it hasn't made any difference. I think the problem is in the computer itself. I'm going to contact tech support again and see if there is a way to calibrate the computer to the probe. My max temp in the grill is 400 because the grill won't set higher than 500.

Thanks, I did the thermocouple replacement also, no change. Your temp problem is about the same as mine.

Interesting sidebar - when replacing the thermocouple, I had problems with stripping screws (not a mechanic) Traeger agreed they would send a person to do the work but it did not happen because the local dealer is short on techs. I got a call from Amy at Traeger saying they would take the unit back and send a new one because of the stripped screws. I was surprised. However, demonstrating my stupid honesty, I already paid a guy to install the thermocouple and furthermore, stupidly told Traeger. They then refused to return the unit because no stripped screws. Go figure!
Please let me know if you get anywhere.

Thanks, I did the thermocouple replacement also, no change. Your temp problem is about the same as mine.

Interesting sidebar - when replacing the thermocouple, I had problems with stripping screws (not a mechanic) Traeger agreed they would send a person to do the work but it did not happen because the local dealer is short on techs. I got a call from Amy at Traeger saying they would take the unit back and send a new one because of the stripped screws. I was surprised. However, demonstrating my stupid honesty, I already paid a guy to install the thermocouple and furthermore, stupidly told Traeger. They then refused to return the unit because no stripped screws. Go figure!
Please let me know if you get anywhere.
I had the same problem with the screws. I contacted tech support and there is no way to calibrate the computer. They sent me a link to one of their totally useless articles about the problems of using your own thermometer in the grill. I guess I'm stuck with a grill with max internal temperature below 400. Works for slow and low but not for roasting or higher temp baking.

I was able to get Traeger to do something about my temp differences. They kept telling me that my temperature readings were made with third party thermometers. So I said send me a Traeger thermometer and they sent me one of their Meater thermometers. I foolishly thought this was sent to finally define the temp differences between the controller and the cook chamber. As it turns it was just a bobble to pacify me. Another poke in my eye by Traeger, neat little unit that gives me real time temp data to further aggregate me.
Try it maybe you can get one also. Not that I want to bestow more aggravation on you.
Yesterday, Sunday, I thought I would try to get this thing to cooperate in some way. Another $50 in crappy food.
I am going to try to sell my unit but because the warranty is not transferrable, I do not know.

I was able to get Traeger to do something about my temp differences. They kept telling me that my temperature readings were made with third party thermometers. So I said send me a Traeger thermometer and they sent me one of their Meater thermometers. I foolishly thought this was sent to finally define the temp differences between the controller and the cook chamber. As it turns it was just a bobble to pacify me. Another poke in my eye by Traeger, neat little unit that gives me real time temp data to further aggregate me.
Try it maybe you can get one also. Not that I want to bestow more aggravation on you.
Yesterday, Sunday, I thought I would try to get this thing to cooperate in some way. Another $50 in crappy food.
I am going to try to sell my unit but because the warranty is not transferrable, I do not know.
If you think you are making crappy food because there is a temperature difference between actual and what the controller reads then maybe this sorta thing isn’t for you. I’d sell and purchase take out coupons. Otherwise, you can simply adjust and move forward. It’s not rocket science or brain surgery. Your oven will be off at least what a Traeger is off. Oh the horror. Good luck either way. 👍🏻

I find that when my food isn't any good that it's my fault, and not the grill.

My advice, which is worthless, is to stop trying to force the Traeger into what it's not (accurate temp readout), learn the nuances of the grill and then cook within those parameters. My temp is off and I somehow manage to make some tasty stuff once in a while. :D

I also find that Traeger isn't the best grill option for certain types of cooks. Perhaps that is another reason for your crappy food??

This is sorta a repeat of what I shared in another forum, but include it here again as this forum in Century 885 specific.

I saw about 25% difference across the entire operating range between actual and the display. The numbers below were read from another thermocouple placed next the factory installed one. Another set of measurements were taken directly from the thermocouple interface at the back of the controller, reading Traeger's thermocouple. Got the same results.
182'F vs 226'F
286'F vs 354'F
398'F vs 501'F
With none of the 'Make Now' recipes downloadable through the Traeger app cooking properly the app and grill were useless. The app was uninstalled and the grill returned to Costco.

Back