First meal on my new Ironwood

DaveSwenson

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood
I just cooked my first meal on my new Ironwood. A smoked pork tenderloin. It was delicious. I'm coming from a TEC infrared grill, which gets crazy hot. I love it but my wife doesn't like the char that is unavoidable on that thing.

My concern with the Traeger is that the displayed temperature was 50 degrees hotter than what I selected. I haven't tried using a 3rd party thermometer yet. Is this normal? I had 200 selected and the display was 250. I was using Super Smoke.

Well known fact that the on board temp readings are inaccurate. You really need third party probes. Mine runs 20 to 30 degrees cooler than the stated temp. I've learned my pit and know where to set it to get the temp I want. I normally cook at around 215. I set my Traeger at 235.

I just cooked my first meal on my new Ironwood. A smoked pork tenderloin. It was delicious. I'm coming from a TEC infrared grill, which gets crazy hot. I love it but my wife doesn't like the char that is unavoidable on that thing.

My concern with the Traeger is that the displayed temperature was 50 degrees hotter than what I selected. I haven't tried using a 3rd party thermometer yet. Is this normal? I had 200 selected and the display was 250. I was using Super Smoke.
Mine does similar. With a set pt of 225, the Traeger display shows temp swing regulation running 257-270. My 3rd party probe says 202.

At high temp set pts, the opposite happens. With a set pt of 500 on the Century 885 the display showed temp swing regulation either side of 500, but the 3rd part probe said 400. On the Silverton 620, similar but the 3rd party probe said 450.

Like any other cooking equipment it depends where you take the temperature in cooking area. Take it next to probe of oven. Most electronic thermometers have a setting in service/programming mode to set hysteresis. Basically dialing in the temperature of probe to what is being read by the control board.

Back