Smoked Brisket: A How-To Primer

So, I cooked an 11 pounder, seasoned and placed fat side up after trimming. All I’ve learned and read is expect 8 hours or so. Mine went to 160 in 3 and after wrapping in foil went to 205 in 2. It was delicious! But...can I expect smaller briskets to cook that fast?
What was your pit temp?

What was your pit temp?
Per the Matt Pttman recipe on the Traeger app, 275. but the recipe states 5-6 hours before I wrap it. Almost blew it since I knew I had all this time, went back to bed (started it at 5 in the AM). Got up at 8 and went to check it, was already at 160, jumped into panic mode getting the wrap ready and everything else.

Per the Matt Pttman recipe on the Traeger app, 275. but the recipe states 5-6 hours before I wrap it. Almost blew it since I knew I had all this time, went back to bed (started it at 5 in the AM). Got up at 8 and went to check it, was already at 160, jumped into panic mode getting the wrap ready and everything else.
Ah, ya at higher temps, you've got to keep an eye on things! Glad it came out OK

So, I cooked an 11 pounder, seasoned and placed fat side up after trimming. All I’ve learned and read is expect 8 hours or so. Mine went to 160 in 3 and after wrapping in foil went to 205 in 2. It was delicious! But...can I expect smaller briskets to cook that fast?
That's fast !
I would double check the actual cooking temperature with a secondary thermometer placed closed to the meat.
I would be concerned about accuracy.
It could significantly screw up more heat sensitive meats that you attempt in the future.
Some folks here (me included) cook with secondary thermometers and do not pay much attention to the Traeger built in temperature probe.

Ah, ya at higher temps, you've got to keep an eye on things! Glad it came out OK
But then I tried a 20 pounder, set it at 180 per a friend who makes fantastic briskets, and 5 hours later, we still didn't break 100. I keep hearing from some keep it under 200 for the start, then bump it after the stall while others say to keep it around 225 - 275 for the entire cook.
That's fast !
I would double check the actual cooking temperature with a secondary thermometer placed closed to the meat.
It could significantly screw up more heat sensitive meats that you attempt in the future.
Some folks here (me included) cook with secondary thermometers and do not pay much attention to the Traeger built in temperature probe.
Ive got a secondary. This was done on my older Pro series 22. I noticed that it never managed to hit the temp I would set it, so wondered if maybe I was lower or higher than actually set. Always used a leave in for the meats, never trusted myself to tell when the meat was ready. I have upgraded to the Pro 780 and trust the temp settings on it. Will use the leave in outside the meat instead, just to be sure. Picked up my 12 pounder for Memorial day.

But then I tried a 20 pounder, set it at 180 per a friend who makes fantastic briskets, and 5 hours later, we still didn't break 100. I keep hearing from some keep it under 200 for the start, then bump it after the stall while others say to keep it around 225 - 275 for the entire cook.

Ive got a secondary. This was done on my older Pro series 22. I noticed that it never managed to hit the temp I would set it, so wondered if maybe I was lower or higher than actually set. Always used a leave in for the meats, never trusted myself to tell when the meat was ready. I have upgraded to the Pro 780 and trust the temp settings on it. Will use the leave in outside the meat instead, just to be sure. Picked up my 12 pounder for Memorial day.
On my Pro 780 actual pit temp is 15 to 20f below set temp and Traeger temp. So if I want 200f pit temp I have to set the grill to 220f. I used a 3rd party thermometer to verify.

On my Pro 780 actual pit temp is 15 to 20f below set temp and Traeger temp. So if I want 200f pit temp I have to set the grill to 220f. I used a 3rd party thermometer to verify.
A similar thing happens to my Pro 780. Pretty close.
I would not attempt using my smoker without my Fireboard ambient and meat sensor.
Too many things can go wrong...
And thanks to the guidance of fellow forum members !

That's fast !
I agree! That’s way to fast...There is no way that bark was set and ready to wrap after just 3 hours, no matter the IT. And, there is no way that the collagen was broken down after just two hours above 160. I bet that grill was running closer to 325-350 than 275, and/or the meat probe was way off. Or both!

Last edited:
I agree! That’s way to fast...There is no way that bark was set and ready to wrap after just 3 hours, no matter the IT. And, there is no way that the collagen was broken down after just two hours above 160. I bet that grill was running closer to 325-350 than 275, and/or the meat probe was way off. Or both!
The meat probe was checked with a separate instant read, and was only off by 1 degree, so I trust the leave in. It was really juicy and the bark set up pretty good, but the flat was drier than I wanted - which would make sense if the collagen hadn't broken down.

I will be closely monitoring the pit temp with my leave in, with the 780 meat probe in the meat. I will be verifying the temp with the leave in to be sure we stay as close as possible to 225.

So my question for everyone here, if I want to serve it around 4pm, its 11 lbs prior to cutting (butcher removed most of the deckle fat) so figure 10ish lbs cooking once I remove the rest. temp set between 225 and 250, fat side up, what time should I put this bad boy on, with at least an hour min for resting?

I have cooked exactly one brisket. I wrapped in paper at about 160 degrees. I used some injection (I forget what I used). It was getting late when I wrapped it, so after I wrapped the brisket, I put it in the oven at 225 degrees. I figured that since it was wrapped, there was not going to be much smoke getting to the meat. In the kitchen, I had light and electricity is a lot cheaper than pellets. After it got to 203 degrees and was the consistency of butter, I put it in a cooler for about an hour. It had a decent bark. The flavor was good, but the flat was pretty dry and the point was a lot drier than I had hoped.

I had planned to try a second brisket using mostly the same procedure, but to wrap it in foil.

I would appreciate any criticism and suggestions.

Thanks.

So my question for everyone here, if I want to serve it around 4pm, its 11 lbs prior to cutting (butcher removed most of the deckle fat) so figure 10ish lbs cooking once I remove the rest. temp set between 225 and 250, fat side up, what time should I put this bad boy on, with at least an hour min for resting?
Google Matt Pitmans “Weekday Brisket”
Cook it like that, and you shouldn’t run into any problems, providing you ACCURATELY monitor your pit temperature.

If that “leave in” thermometer is the one that came with the Traeger, it has to be the only one in existence that is accurate. 🤣

I have cooked exactly one brisket. I wrapped in paper at about 160 degrees. I used some injection (I forget what I used). It was getting late when I wrapped it, so after I wrapped the brisket, I put it in the oven at 225 degrees. I figured that since it was wrapped, there was not going to be much smoke getting to the meat. In the kitchen, I had light and electricity is a lot cheaper than pellets. After it got to 203 degrees and was the consistency of butter, I put it in a cooler for about an hour. It had a decent bark. The flavor was good, but the flat was pretty dry and the point was a lot drier than I had hoped.

I had planned to try a second brisket using mostly the same procedure, but to wrap it in foil.

I would appreciate any criticism and suggestions.

Thanks.
If it was dry, chances are good that it was overcooked, and wrapping in foil won’t help that. Wrapping in foil steams the meat, and IMO makes it taste like pot roast.
Monitor the pit temp and the brisket with an accurate leave in thermometer, and use an accurate instant read to verify.

That seams fast…( if you are over 250 you get less smoke ,I set my overnight temperature at 190…) but if everyone likes it then you did good….

Back