Smoked Brisket: A How-To Primer

If this is the video where he is using a stick burner instead of his Traeger, you just have to remember that you aren’t going to get as much smoke as he did, by starting out at 225-250. Have you seen his “weekday brisket” video? That’s the recipe that I like to use on the Traeger..It’s almost a “can’t fail” way of cooking brisket on a Traeger, especially if you have a set of good leave in and instant read temperature probes.

And no, the probe that comes with the Traeger is not accurate, no matter how many times you calibrate it. The ambient probe in the Traeger is not very accurate either. A good probe set like FireBoard II or Thermoworks Signals, and an instant read like a Thermapen is a necessity if you want good results.
What kind of brisket are you cooking? Whole packer, flat, point? How much does it weigh?
As for the rubs, I’ve never used his Gospel rub, that he refers to as his “all purpose” rub. I suspect there is a reason why he likes to use Holy Cow/Holy Gospel on beef. I know the Holy Cow has lots of pepper in it and Holy Gospel doesn’t. I think Gospel has quite a bit of pepper in it also, so combining Gospel and Holy Cow might be a bit over the top. I’ve not tried it, so I really can’t comment.

Hickory should work fine, but “depth of smoke flavor” is very subjective, and you won’t get as much smoke flavor on a Traeger starting out at 225-250 as you would by starting at 7 pm and cooking overnight at 180-190. I like to use mesquite for any whole muscle beef, and hickory on pork, but again that is very subjective.
Thank you for such a detailed response.
Yes that’s the video, in the offset that he calls his texts style. Smoke wise I do appreciate that and as I’m on a 780 without even the super smoke option I am unlikely to get as much smoke.
Saw the weekday/10 hour options. I thought I’d probably get a better result going lower and longer so thought I’d follow this overnight one.
Yeah I appreciate that about the Traeger probe and hadn’t so much appreciated it about the ambient thermometer. I have an instant-ish read probe which I’ve been using, not a thermapen but other results have been good so hopefully fairly accurate. Maybe I should be upgrading to a thermapen. I do put the Traeger probe in but more a case of alert me to a lower point from which I’ll start the manual checks.
I’ve been looking at alternatives for leave in probes but probably not ready to go to those prices. I had been looking at the Meater ... any knowledge of this one?
Cooking a whole packet around 6kg/13.5lbs.
The holy gospel is apparently a blend of the all purpose gospel and the holy cow, not 50/50 apparently. So with a bit of estimating I may be ok. Used the all purpose on a pork butt and it was great.
Ok so possibly worth dropping the temp and starting earlier. My biggest concern was not being up in time for the key wrap stage and also the issue around pellet shortage during the night but I guess a bag even starting at 7pm should run me until 6am.

Also worth noting to keep things on topic, a great article, interesting read and thanks for posting.

I would pick Hickory over Signature. Will be trying Mesquite next.

I'd also second using the "Weekday Brisket" recipe, overnight at 180-190F

I've been using the 70-30 Holy Cow-Holy Gospel rub per their recipe, it's great, nice kick.

I would pick Hickory over Signature. Will be trying Mesquite next.

I'd also second using the "Weekday Brisket" recipe, overnight at 180-190F

I've been using the 70-30 Holy Cow-Holy Gospel rub per their recipe, it's great, nice kick.
Thanks! Just watched the weekday brisket video. I guess the main deferences to the Texas brisket are simply adjusting to get the best out of the equipment.
I guess opting for the slower and lower weekday gives a bit more control over the cook.

Thanks! Just watched the weekday brisket video. I guess the main deferences to the Texas brisket are simply adjusting to get the best out of the equipment.
I guess opting for the slower and lower weekday gives a bit more control over the cook.
Yes, more control, and more smoke, as pellet grills smoke most under 200F

Reference the meat church “Weekday brisket” video that he does on a Treager, the timing on a brisket trimmed down to 12-14 lb on a Treager is some 16-18 hrs and you can start it in the evening and leave it overnight.
I use Traeger “Texas beef blend “ or Oak

Saw the weekday/10 hour options. I thought I’d probably get a better result going lower and longer so thought I’d follow this overnight one.

The “Weekday Brisket” is definitely not a 10 hour cook. More like 18-20 hours.
Low and slow at 180-190. I like to start around 5 pm at 180. That way I can up the heat to 250 in the morning and have it done early or keep the temp around 225 and have it done later. Gives you lots of options, and you don’t have to worry about it not being done on time.

The “Weekday Brisket” is definitely not a 10 hour cook. More like 18-20 hours.
Low and slow at 180-190. I like to start around 5 pm at 180. That way I can up the heat to 250 in the morning and have it done early or keep the temp around 225 and have it done later. Gives you lots of options, and you don’t have to worry about it not being done on time.
Thanks, yes sorry I was meaning I was weighing up both the weekday and the 10 hour options alongside the Texas brisket. So all three. Thanks for clarifying in case though.
So with your 5pm start are you wrapping really early the next day? I think the longer cook is going to suit me as it seems I can comfortably leave all night and then have lots of time to get finished and rest for a late afternoon feed.

Reference the meat church “Weekday brisket” video that he does on a Treager, the timing on a brisket trimmed down to 12-14 lb on a Treager is some 16-18 hrs and you can start it in the evening and leave it overnight.
I use Traeger “Texas beef blend “ or Oak
Thanks. Struggling with pellet options in the UK. Looking at stock I think I have the options of mesquite or hickory for this cook. Any thoughts on the better option welcome.
Otherwise I would have followed suit and gone for oak.

Thanks, yes sorry I was meaning I was weighing up both the weekday and the 10 hour options alongside the Texas brisket. So all three. Thanks for clarifying in case though.
So with your 5pm start are you wrapping really early the next day? I think the longer cook is going to suit me as it seems I can comfortably leave all night and then have lots of time to get finished and rest for a late afternoon feed.
You can wrap as soon as the bark is set, and you are satisfied with how it looks. Cooking overnight, the bark will definitely be set by morning. I usually don’t wrap at all. Wrapping is just a process to speed the cooking through the stall 150-180 IT.
Once you wrap, and up the temp, it should hit 200 IT in 3-5 hours, depending on what you wrap with, set temp, and how accurate the ambient temp is in your grill. Again, don’t rely on the Traeger ambient probe. Most are way off...
Yes, the FireBoard is pricey... about the cost of three ruined whole packer prime briskets...

You can wrap as soon as the bark is set, and you are satisfied with how it looks. Cooking overnight, the bark will definitely be set by morning. I usually don’t wrap at all. Wrapping is just a process to speed the cooking through the stall 150-180 IT.
Once you wrap, and up the temp, it should hit 200 IT in 3-5 hours, depending on what you wrap with, set temp, and how accurate the ambient temp is in your grill. Again, don’t rely on the Traeger ambient probe. Most are way off...
Yes, the FireBoard is pricey... about the cost of three ruined whole packer prime briskets...
Ha ha fair point and one I said to myself! Thanks for the guidance!

Thanks. Struggling with pellet options in the UK. Looking at stock I think I have the options of mesquite or hickory for this cook. Any thoughts on the better option welcome.
Otherwise I would have followed suit and gone for oak.
The oak gives a stronger smoke flavor, low and slow gives a good smoke ring and bark….
oak hickory and mesquite give the strongest smoke flavor…

You might also think about “Oak chips” in a smoke tube, if you want a stronger smoke flavor

So, I cooked an 11 pounder, seasoned and placed fat side up after trimming. All I’ve learned and read is expect 8 hours or so. Mine went to 160 in 3 and after wrapping in foil went to 205 in 2. It was delicious! But...can I expect smaller briskets to cook that fast?

Back