Silverton 620 - Thoughts?- Regrets? Issues?

jdebuhr

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885, Weber Genesis Platinum
Hello All,

been reading a bunch on here trying to determine a grill to purchase.. Silverton 620 is on that short list (as is the Pro 575/780) Any reasons not to look at the Silverton? I hear lots of bad things about them

Hello All,

been reading a bunch on here trying to determine a grill to purchase.. Silverton 620 is on that short list (as is the Pro 575/780) Any reasons not to look at the Silverton? I hear lots of bad things about them
Check out the reviews on the Traeger website. They aren’t good overall, but I haven’t read them all. Could be the same issues as with other grills “pit temp is odd and near probe is trash”. Worth a look though

Check out the reviews on the Traeger website. They aren’t good overall, but I haven’t read them all. Could be the same issues as with other grills “pit temp is odd and near probe is trash”. Worth a look though
Yep, most are temp is off, couple were stripped screws, damaged in shipping. Pretty much what is here, same on Costco website

Picked mine up today from Costco and no issues with anything being damaged inside the box. Pretty simple and basic process putting it together. Plugged it in, turned it on, put pellets in the hopper and completed the seasoning process flawlessly. Only issue was not able to connect to my Wi-Fi..yet.

Thanks, I ended up getting a Ironwood 885.

Question are you trying to connect your WiFi with an iPhone?

Yeah I tried for 2 hours to get my Ironwood to connect. I finally tried an Android phone and it instantly connected. There might be an issue with their iPhone app when first connecting , of course that is just my opinion.

After I connected the grill with the. Android app it works fine on the iphone

Yeah I tried for 2 hours to get my Ironwood to connect. I finally tried an Android phone and it instantly connected. There might be an issue with their iPhone app when first connecting , of course that is just my opinion.

After I connected the grill with the. Android app it works fine on the iphone
Thanks for the info…

Bought one two months ago, already had to replace display, now switch doesn't work, replaced it with a new one, same thing, blinks, don't work. Silverton 620 Very frustrating!

I've had my Silverton 620 for just over a year and it's worked fairly well. The wifire can be frustrating at times, probably the worst part, but it's always cooked well for me. However, the reason I found these forums is because the drip tray has about 1/4" of rust left before it disintegrates into a fine powder and I was wondering if anyone else had this issue. I got on the chat with Traeger support, because I heard they were solid, but they blamed my maintenance. Can someone please explain to me what maintenance would keep this thing from rusting? LOL It's kept covered under a covered porch and I keep it clean. I suspect Traeger gambled on some cheap chinese steel and now they're paying the price for all these things rusting out. I must say, the rest of the unit is solid, though. Anyway, I digress, I have to post one public message before they'll allow me to PM the guy selling stainless drip trays, so here I am. ;)

In closing, I really like the unit and have cooked many fine meals with it. I smoked a brisket this weekend and it was the best one, yet - in spite of the wifi flaking out. Just FYI, I had a Pixel 6 and it worked up until this weekend. After several tries, it would not reconnect, so I tried my Samsung tablet and that worked great. Wish I knew why it acts up like that, but as long as it keeps cookin, I'll deal with it.

I've had my Silverton 620 for just over a year and it's worked fairly well. The wifire can be frustrating at times, probably the worst part, but it's always cooked well for me. However, the reason I found these forums is because the drip tray has about 1/4" of rust left before it disintegrates into a fine powder and I was wondering if anyone else had this issue. I got on the chat with Traeger support, because I heard they were solid, but they blamed my maintenance. Can someone please explain to me what maintenance would keep this thing from rusting? LOL It's kept covered under a covered porch and I keep it clean. I suspect Traeger gambled on some cheap chinese steel and now they're paying the price for all these things rusting out. I must say, the rest of the unit is solid, though. Anyway, I digress, I have to post one public message before they'll allow me to PM the guy selling stainless drip trays, so here I am. ;)

In closing, I really like the unit and have cooked many fine meals with it. I smoked a brisket this weekend and it was the best one, yet - in spite of the wifi flaking out. Just FYI, I had a Pixel 6 and it worked up until this weekend. After several tries, it would not reconnect, so I tried my Samsung tablet and that worked great. Wish I knew why it acts up like that, but as long as it keeps cookin, I'll deal with it.
I doubt you could have done anything differently. Sometimes its just bad metal. Seasoning the drip tray with oil when you got the grill may have bought you some time. I think your best option is the replacement trays from this thread. You wouldn't have this problem again
Thread 'Heavy stainless steel drip trays and heat shields. Send me a PM with model and zip code. I will get you a quote' https://www.traegerforum.com/thread...del-and-zip-code-i-will-get-you-a-quote.4307/

They updated the app on android for the pixel phone, my app updated today
Screenshot_20230411_192345_Google Play Store.jpg

Last edited:
I own a Traeger Ironwood 885. I looked at all the alternative Traeger versions, including the ones at Costco.

When Costco contracts with a manufacturer to produce a Costco exclusive model, it is likely to have some attractive features not available with standard models. However, to meet the specified Costco price point, the manufacturer might well cut corners in some less obvious aspects of the manufacturing process so they can provide the features Costco wants at the price Costco demands and still make a profit doing so. I am ALWAYS cautious buying Costco exclusives. Sometimes they are a great bargain; other times they are not. Buyer beware!

When looking at the Costco models, I liked some of the features, but I concluded that the workmanship was not as good as some of the Traeger standard models. That is why I purchased the Ironwood 885, even though it was more costly than the Costco exclusives. That is how my price to value analysis was made. However, for others, the Costco models might be exactly what you need at a price you can afford. You will have to make that assessment for yourself.

Last edited:
I own a Traeger Ironwood 885. I looked at all the alternative Traeger versions, including the ones at Costco.

When Costco contracts with a manufacturer to produce a Costco exclusive model, it is likely to have some attractive features not available with standard models. However, to meat the specified Costco price point, the manufacturer might well cut corners in some less obvious aspects of the manufacturing process so they can provide the features Costco wants at the price Costco demands and still make a profit doing so. I am ALWAYS cautious buying Costco exclusives. Sometimes they are a great bargain; other times they are not. Buyer beware!

When looking at the Costco models, I did liked some of the features, but I concluded that the workmanship was not as good as some of the Traeger standard models. That is why I purchased the Ironwood 885, even though it was more costly than the Costco exclusives. That is how my price to value analysis was made. However, for others, the Costco models might be exactly what you need at a price you can afford. You will have to make that assessment for yourself.
This, Exactly! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I doubt you could have done anything differently. Sometimes its just bad metal. Seasoning the drip tray with oil when you got the grill may have bought you some time. I think your best option is the replacement trays from this thread. You wouldn't have this problem again
Thread 'Heavy stainless steel drip trays and heat shields. Send me a PM with model and zip code. I will get you a quote' https://www.traegerforum.com/thread...del-and-zip-code-i-will-get-you-a-quote.4307/

They updated the app on android for the pixel phone, my app updated today
View attachment 20788
Thanks for the info! My old phone was a Pixel 6, but my new one is a 7. I'll try again when I get a chance.

And thanks, I contacted Shawn, but ultimately, I'm probably going to get an Amazon special to get me by for a while. If and when I upgrade to a pricier grill, this would be a great option.

Back