Is there an after market shelf that is bigger than my OEM shelf

Propwashed

Reaction score
Grill
timberland xl
I have a Teaeger Timberland XL and i bought the traeger shelf for it which is surprisingly narrow, a meat plater cant fit on ot with the grill hood shut. Its only about 4 useable inches wide.

I have a Teaeger Timberland XL and i bought the traeger shelf for it which is surprisingly narrow, a meat plater cant fit on ot with the grill hood shut. Its only about 4 useable inches wide.
I made my own using some brackets from Amazon. I also used an nsf rated top that can drop as well to allow cover to go on and ease of wiping down spaying with water. Takes a bit of doing make a decent template of hole locations.

Attachments

• IMG_1614.jpeg
    IMG_1614.jpeg
    154.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1616.jpeg
    IMG_1616.jpeg
    134.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1619.jpeg
    IMG_1619.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1618.jpeg
    IMG_1618.jpeg
    71.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1617.jpeg
    IMG_1617.jpeg
    103.5 KB · Views: 19
I made my own using some brackets from Amazon. I also used an nsf rated top that can drop as well to allow cover to go on and ease of wiping down spaying with water. Takes a bit of doing make a decent template of hole locations.
thanks its a great idea

Same with the Gen 2 Ironwood, the grill hood handle when down takes up a disproportionate amount of shelf space, don't recall the available shelf space on the Pro 575 being quite as narrow. Not sure whether it is an ill thought out design unless the pop and lock style bracket on Gen 2 models limits shelf width for some reason?

IEjoe's shelving is impressive but pop and lock brackets presumably aren't readily available, I was wondering about bolting a food rated top over the original Traeger shelf or better still some sort of clip on arrangement? On my to do list! ;)

Same with the Gen 2 Ironwood, the grill hood handle when down takes up a disproportionate amount of shelf space, don't recall the available shelf space on the Pro 575 being quite as narrow. Not sure whether it is an ill thought out design unless the pop and lock style bracket on Gen 2 models limits shelf width for some reason?

IEjoe's shelving is impressive but pop and lock brackets presumably aren't readily available, I was wondering about bolting a food rated top over the original Traeger shelf or better still some sort of clip on arrangement? On my to do list! ;)
I am buying a restaurant quality cutting board made out of High Density Polypropylene ( 30x18x.5 inches) it will be easy to cut to size. My first thought was to attach it to the OEM shelf if there is clearance between the attached cutting board and the handle. if there is not clearance of .5 inches then I will buy the collapsible brackets IE Joe mentioned above. but I think we all agree the existing OEM shelf is waisted real estate. But will the added shelf make the grill top heavy???

Last edited:
I think Traeger wanted to keep the cabinet doors operational with shelf folded down. It is narrow but barely allows doors to clear.

Good point certainly for the Gen 2 Timberline and Timberline XL but for the Ironwood it doesn't really apply.... conversely I suppose a one size fits all approach is easier and more cost effective. ;)

SteveQ's explanation makes since. I still need a place to put the platter for this years turkey and the Christmas prime rib . Maybe i can find a 18 inch wide Stainless steel prep table on wheels .

I notice Etsy have just a pair of pop and lock brackets available leaving you to provide your own worksurface, I bought a couple of items from the company that makes them for my Pro575 and was impressed. For those with Traeger PAL grills this may be the best way forward, I would have held off buying a Traeger PAL shelf if I had known at the time although shipping to the UK from the US doubles the price! :rolleyes:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1598539205/traeger-pal-folding-shelf-brackets?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=traeger&ref=sr_gallery-1-9&sts=1&content_source=f06357a5678d01c0185651b734b88a131a0db468%3A1598539205&search_preloaded_img=1&organic_search_click=1

Back