Silverton 620 - Thoughts?- Regrets? Issues?

I own a Traeger Ironwood 885. I looked at all the alternative Traeger versions, including the ones at Costco.

When Costco contracts with a manufacturer to produce a Costco exclusive model, it is likely to have some attractive features not available with standard models. However, to meet the specified Costco price point, the manufacturer might well cut corners in some less obvious aspects of the manufacturing process so they can provide the features Costco wants at the price Costco demands and still make a profit doing so. I am ALWAYS cautious buying Costco exclusives. Sometimes they are a great bargain; other times they are not. Buyer beware!

When looking at the Costco models, I liked some of the features, but I concluded that the workmanship was not as good as some of the Traeger standard models. That is why I purchased the Ironwood 885, even though it was more costly than the Costco exclusives. That is how my price to value analysis was made. However, for others, the Costco models might be exactly what you need at a price you can afford. You will have to make that assessment for yourself.

I'm was (probably still am) fairly ignorant about pellet grills - they had a Traeger road show going on that day at Costco. I didn't even know it was a Costco exclusive at the time, but thanks for the info, I will definitely keep that in mind next time.

And just to reiterate, this grill is solid, EXCEPT for the drip tray issue. And I was bummed they chose to blame me rather than do the right thing and replace the rusty pan - not to mention kept me in the chat for an hour only to tell me I suck at teh maintenance. :D Anyway, previously all I used was a gas grill and an electric smoker, but the convenience and ultimately, the flavor, it provides over gas, has convinced me this is the way from here on out.

I'm was (probably still am) fairly ignorant about pellet grills - they had a Traeger road show going on that day at Costco. I didn't even know it was a Costco exclusive at the time, but thanks for the info, I will definitely keep that in mind next time.

And just to reiterate, this grill is solid, EXCEPT for the drip tray issue. And I was bummed they chose to blame me rather than do the right thing and replace the rusty pan - not to mention kept me in the chat for an hour only to tell me I suck at teh maintenance. :D Anyway, previously all I used was a gas grill and an electric smoker, but the convenience and ultimately, the flavor, it provides over gas, has convinced me this is the way from here on out.

The drip tray is made of steel on all the Traeger grill. Thus, over time the tray WILL rust. I keep a sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil on top of my tray to keep drips off the tray as much as possible.

There is a forum member who has a metal shop. He will produce a drip tray to fit your specific model of grill made of stainless steel which should outlast the grill itself. Due to the size and weight of the tray, the cost for the tray plus shipping will vary depending upon the grill model and how far it has to ship. My tray is still in decent shape, but I might order one of the stainless replacement when it gets to that point.

Here is a reference to the thread for ordering if you are interested.

https://www.traegerforum.com/thread...model-and-zip-and-i-can-get-you-a-quote.4157/

I've had mine since Feb of last year. Mine has a rusted drip tray as well, been treating that as i can. Tonight I started doing the 350F for 20 minutes and 450F for 20 minutes thing to make sure it's in decent condition, but it went to sleep 10 minutes into the 450F part. I've checked the internet connection, cleaned it the fire box, checked for any updates, nothing amiss as far as i can tell. I was looking forward to smoking a brisket starting tomorrow morning, but, now I'm stumped. Anyone else having this Sleep Mode issue?

I'm late to this thread but created an account just to post on the 620. I've had mine just over a year and I regret buying it. It is beyond fussy, meaning there is always something I have to mess with to get it up and running. I keep it clean and have had problems with it igniting, getting up to temperature, and even holding temp. When it cooks it creates awesome food, but it can sometimes take a very long time to get it ready to cook. The app is also terrible. Not reliable at all but thats for a different thread. In closing, wouldn't recommend and wouldn't buy again.

Hello All,

been reading a bunch on here trying to determine a grill to purchase.. Silverton 620 is on that short list (as is the Pro 575/780) Any reasons not to look at the Silverton? I hear lots of bad things about them
I bought the 810. Had a few initial problems, all related to shipping issues. Traeger has parts. I bought to replace my electric smoker. No pellet grill can produce the flavor I go from my electric that smoldered wood chips. All Traeger grills except the NEW ones with the burn pot clean out are a REAL PAIN TO CLEAN! Bottom line. The silverton works. And I bought for the storage cabinet. Wish I bought Camp Chef Woodwind and a srperate storage cabinet.

I've had mine since Feb of last year. Mine has a rusted drip tray as well, been treating that as i can. Tonight I started doing the 350F for 20 minutes and 450F for 20 minutes thing to make sure it's in decent condition, but it went to sleep 10 minutes into the 450F part. I've checked the internet connection, cleaned it the fire box, checked for any updates, nothing amiss as far as i can tell. I was looking forward to smoking a brisket starting tomorrow morning, but, now I'm stumped. Anyone else having this Sleep Mode issue?
Call tech support. It is a known issue with the power switch.

Just bought the Silverton 620 from costco. I cooked one chicken so far and it was good. The probe didn't give me the right temperature though, but I think I need to calibrate it. I did put it in ice water as suggested but I don't think I kept it in there long enough. The internal temp from the probe was 118 when my own thermometer said about 165.

The chicken, just a regular full chicken with rub cooked at 375, tasted good and was juicy. Almost all of it was done, a small part wasn't. But it was my first time cooking anything on it.

I'm also realizing that all the wind where I live (and it's constantly very windy) might mess up keeping a stable temperature.

I'll review it sometime in the future once I use it more. I'm a complete beginner and novice at grilling and smoking.

Just bought the Silverton 620 from costco. I cooked one chicken so far and it was good. The probe didn't give me the right temperature though, but I think I need to calibrate it. I did put it in ice water as suggested but I don't think I kept it in there long enough. The internal temp from the probe was 118 when my own thermometer said about 165.

The chicken, just a regular full chicken with rub cooked at 375, tasted good and was juicy. Almost all of it was done, a small part wasn't. But it was my first time cooking anything on it.

I'm also realizing that all the wind where I live (and it's constantly very windy) might mess up keeping a stable temperature.

I'll review it sometime in the future once I use it more. I'm a complete beginner and novice at grilling and smoking.

I have an Ironwood 885. Like you, I used the Traeger internal meat temperature probe for my first cook. I have never connected it again. I use either a 3rd party wireless thermometer or an instant read temperature probe to check meat temperatures. I do not trust the Traeger probe as I feel there is too much of the probe outside the meat exposed to the higher temp of the cook chamber.

Likewise, you are likely to find that the cook temperature on the controller is inaccurate. I find that my cook temps are about 10 degrees F low at 225F. However, if I want to cook at 400F, I need to set the controller to 450-F. Your particular grill might not respond the same as mine. You need to use a 3rd party temperature probe you can trust to measure the cooking chamber temperature near your items being cooked. You will find differences in temperature top to bottom, front to back, and left to right. Once you understand how your grill operates, it will be easier to achieve the results you want.

So far I've encounter only 3 issues with the 620 I have.
1. Temps on the Traeger display run 10-12% higher than actual measured in the grill as well as measured at the back of the controller where the thermocouple plugs in. I don't use the Traeger app because of that as none of the 'Make Now' recipes cook properly.
2. The calibrate meat probe function doesn't work. After a calibrate of the meat probe using a well stirred ice bath it reads 38' and 218 for boiling water. The offset function doesn't appear to be in degrees. A -6 offset gave me 30' from the ice bath and 210 for boiling water. A -5 offset resulted in 32' and 212', right where it needs to be. With that the probe seems to be accurate compared to a Thermapen at the end of a cook.
3. Grill will not regulate to set points below 230'. For example, when the set point is set to 165, the controller displays temp swings 204-215 during the cook phase.

Last edited:
So far I've encounter only 3 issues with the 620 I have.
1. Temps on the Traeger display run 10-12% higher than actual measured in the grill as well as measured at the back of the controller where the thermocouple plugs in. I don't use the Traeger app because of that as none of the 'Make Now' recipes cook properly.
2. The calibrate meat probe function doesn't work. After a calibrate of the meat probe using a well stirred ice bath it reads 38' and 218 for boiling water. The offset function doesn't appear to be in degrees. A -6 offset gave me 30' from the ice bath and 210 for boiling water. A -5 offset resulted in 32' and 212', right where it needs to be. With that the probe seems to be accurate compared to a Thermapen at the end of a cook.
3. Grill will not regulate to set points below 230'. For example, when the set point is set to 165, the controller displays temp swings 204-215 during the cook phase.
My 2 cents.

1. I do not use the Traeger app either. Set the controller 10-12% higher than your intended cook temperature. I normally cook at 225F, so I would set the controller at 250F.

2. If you have a Thermapen, use it as your reference. Do not ever trust the Traeger meat probe.

3. Remember that if you set the controller to 165F, the actual temp will be 150F. In the summer, I have often seen my Ironwood reach 150F just sitting in the sun before I ever ignite the grill. Even at 230F on the controller, the actual temp would be around 210F. The only time you would need to go below that is if you are trying to cold smoke salmon or jerky. If you are cooking meats, you need the actual temperature to exceed the boiling point of water. If you are near sea level, that will be 212F. If you are in the Cascades at 10,000 ft, water boils at 193F. Anything above about 3000 ft elevation might require adjustments in recipes.

My 2 cents.

1. I do not use the Traeger app either. Set the controller 10-12% higher than your intended cook temperature. I normally cook at 225F, so I would set the controller at 250F.

2. If you have a Thermapen, use it as your reference. Do not ever trust the Traeger meat probe.

3. Remember that if you set the controller to 165F, the actual temp will be 150F. In the summer, I have often seen my Ironwood reach 150F just sitting in the sun before I ever ignite the grill. Even at 230F on the controller, the actual temp would be around 210F. The only time you would need to go below that is if you are trying to cold smoke salmon or jerky. If you are cooking meats, you need the actual temperature to exceed the boiling point of water. If you are near sea level, that will be 212F. If you are in the Cascades at 10,000 ft, water boils at 193F. Anything above about 3000 ft elevation might require adjustments in recipes.
1. I do offset the set point higher for cooks 450' and below (500' set pt = 450'). Above that I have a metal sleeve 1/4 inch taller than the thermocouple that I drop over the thermocouple. I can get to 498' with 500' set pt..
2. I'll use both probes for awhile before I trust or not the Traeger meat probe.
3. When I set the controller to 165', temp swings shown on the controller are around 204-215'. With actual
temp swings 174-190'. Centered around 182', that is as low as this grill can go.
Elevation here 115ft. Pressure that day 30.11. Ignoring fractions, BP=212.

Some additional observations.
4. Has casters on all 4 legs, but they roll very stiff even though the wheels lock are off. I'll probably eventually replace them with casters that have bearings in the wheels.
5. The pit is double walled, but the split lid/top is very thin flimsy steel. Using the lid handle to steer the grill around the patio will bend/warp/distort the lid/top.
6. Front and side shelf are too small to be useful. I might remount them upside down so that they form trays.

Last edited:
Back