Pro 575 not achieving temperatures

I have no doubt Traeger will figure this out with time. I think they just released the D2 controller a little to soon before throughly testing it out and tweeking it. Once they do it’s going to be a game changer. I just ran out of patience lol.

Yup they will get it right. Remember that there were a small number of dealers who tested the d2 controllers in these units for a relatively short period of time over the winter months. Now that it has been released to the masses and we are critical and impatient and expect everything to be perfect out of the gate they have some fine tuning to do lol.

I really hope they do. I was extra worried since the last firmware update for the Ironwood series seemed to fix all of that grill's problems while the latest update for the 575 did pretty much nothing (at least for me). Makes one wonder if it's a hardware problem, which will make fixing it much more difficult.

That definitely could be possible, of which I didn’t want to wait and be a testing guinea pig for them to figure it out. Maybe it will be real soon, but then who really knows.

Yup they will get it right. Remember that there were a small number of dealers who tested the d2 controllers in these units for a relatively short period of time over the winter months. Now that it has been released to the masses and we are critical and impatient and expect everything to be perfect out of the gate they have some fine tuning to do lol.
Honestly, I don't think they deserve a pass. Their engineers surely had many, many opportunities to test both the new controller and the 575 grill itself before releasing it to the masses. If I plunk down $800 for a new grill, I expect it to work as advertised. If it doesn't, I expect the company to be actively reassuring me that they realize there is a problem and they are working hard to correct it. Neither of these things has been the case. As a long time loyal Traeger owner, I expected better.

Now that it has been released to the masses and we are critical and impatient and expect everything to be perfect out of the gate they have some fine tuning to do lol.

Very true. I normally never buy a first edition of products, like I did with the 575. It bit me lol.

I don’t want to be critical of the 575 but it just wasn’t within me to keep it and wait, my patience is flawed ha ha.

Honestly, I don't think they deserve a pass. Their engineers surely had many, many opportunities to test both the new controller and the 575 grill itself before releasing it to the masses. If I plunk down $800 for a new grill, I expect it to work as advertised. If it doesn't, I expect the company to be actively reassuring me that they realize there is a problem and they are working hard to correct it. Neither of these things has been the case. As a long time loyal Traeger owner, I expected better.
My personal theory is that the product was well tested and the pre-production units worked just fine. Lets be honest here...this is not a complex product. I think what messed them up was the factory in China. I have heard all kinds of horror stories about Chinese factories cutting corners by swapping out parts and using inferiors materials as soon as a product rolls out. Wouldn't surprise me if the issue is the RTD or one of the components in the D2 controller. The RTD in these units is a two wire sensor and two wire RTDs are very sensitive to wire resistance caused by impurities in the wires or cable length, etc. It's probably something as dumb as this. Doesn't make sense to me that there is an issue with the 575 but not the more expensive models. Very similar parts.

Last edited:

I do agree especially after $1800 Canadian but it is what it is at this point. Their customer service and response could be better for sure.

My personal theory is that the product was well tested and the pre-production units worked just fine. .

Very possible, at this point it’s all speculation. I have a speculative theory as well. Spring time and Memorial Day were coming up, grill sales go through the roof at this time of year. They as a business didn’t want to miss the mark for potential big profits without the new WiFi controller, like a lot of competitors already had. They may have rushed the product for the almighty Benjamin, and it bit them.

A lot of businesses get bit this way. They are in business to make a profit, perfectly normal. Sometimes they get in a rush though.

Here's the "canned answer" I got from Traeger customer service today:

Sent: June 2, 2019 8:59 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: RE: Thermocouple Troubleshooting - pro 575

Hi Ehle,

Thank you for reaching out to the Traeger Support Team. We apologize for the delay in our response.

We are sorry to hear that the temperature of your grill is not getting as high as you wish, it is a pleasure to assist you with this issue.

Our grills will fluctuate in temperature. This is completely normal. It occurs in your electric home ovens and will occur on your grill. On average, your fluctuations should be no more than +/- 25°F. If your grill performs outside these parameters, you can follow the next troubleshooting steps:
Check start-up procedure. When ready to cook, set your Traeger Grill directly to desired temperature and preheat with the lid closed for approximately 15 minutes.
Ensure shutdown was done properly. Your grill needs to run a whole shutdown cycle before being turned off.
Check pellet quality. Pellets should be stored in a dry, airtight container to prevent moisture and humidity from compromising pellet quality. Pellets may be compromised if they are light in color, not shiny, dusty, break easily or the bag has a lot of sawdust in it.
Clean fire pot.
With the issue that your inside probe does not read the same temperature that you are measuring I will like to explain to you some things:
  1. We measure the temperature in 3 separate points one inch above the lower grill grate
  2. The thermocouple is used as a reference and the displayed temperature is the average temperature inside the grill.
  3. The grill is going to be hotter on the chimney side of the grill as the airflow/heat goes from the hopper side to the chimney side.
so this may be why the probe has a different temperature.

Let us know if you have further questions, we encourage you to call our hotline number 1-800-TRAEGER and someone from our experts will be happy to assist you.

Regards,
Marcos P.
Traeger Gills

Sent: Sat, Jun 1, 2019 02:51 PM -07:00
Subject: RE: Thermocouple Troubleshooting - pro 575
Hi.
In addition to the info below, I did the basic traeger recipe for roasted baby potatoes today. 25 minutes at 400 degrees is what the recipe says. It took 70 minutes with my grill set at 400 to have them to done. The baby potatoes were the size of a golf ball or smaller. The oven thermometer I had in the grill did not register a temp above 300 degrees.
Thanks

-------- Original message --------
Date: 2019-06-01 7:43 a.m. (GMT-08:00)

Hi.
The trouble-shooting below did not indicate a problem with the thermocouple. The display of the ambient temperature upon grill start appears to be correct.
As reported, what I am experiencing is that when the grill is in use (and my grill is a Pro 575, not the models listed in the trouble shooting instructions sent to me), is that while the grill displays a certain operating temperature, the actual temperature inside the grill, as measured by a quality oven thermometer, is approximately 30% lower.

I am unable to get the grill to obtain an actual operating temperature above 360 degrees.

The following is what I get. These measurements were taken during an outside temperature of 60 degrees, no wind, no rain, using Traeger pellets.
Each measurement was at the set temperature for at least 10 minutes with the grill lid closed so that grill display temperature was well stabilised.

Grill Display temperature Actual temperature in the grill (measured at centre of main grate via mechanical thermometer)
450 360
400 320
350 290
300 250
250 210
200 150

As mentioned, my grill is at the latest firmware level (01.01.01)

There are at least 3 threads on the Traeger user forums for this issue. It appears that many are experiencing this and are not happy:
https://www.traegerforum.com/threads/pro-575-not-achieving-temperatures.65/
https://www.traegerforum.com/threads/pro-575-temperature-issues.138/
https://www.traegerforum.com/threads/pro-575-not-achieving-temperatures.206/page-2#post-1220

I am significantly concerned by this and believe that it creates a health safety concern as following the various Traeger recipes and relying on the temperature display on the grill will lead to under-cooked meats and the distinct possibility of food poisoning.

I need to know by June 6th whether this will be resolved or I will need to return my grill to the retailer.

Thanks,
Dan Ehle

Here's the "canned answer" I got from Traeger customer service today:

Sent: June 2, 2019 8:59 AM
Subject: Re: RE: Thermocouple Troubleshooting - pro 575

Hi Ehle,

Thank you for reaching out to the Traeger Support Team. We apologize for the delay in our response.

We are sorry to hear that the temperature of your grill is not getting as high as you wish, it is a pleasure to assist you with this issue.

Our grills will fluctuate in temperature. This is completely normal. It occurs in your electric home ovens and will occur on your grill. On average, your fluctuations should be no more than +/- 25°F. If your grill performs outside these parameters, you can follow the next troubleshooting steps:
Check start-up procedure. When ready to cook, set your Traeger Grill directly to desired temperature and preheat with the lid closed for approximately 15 minutes.
Ensure shutdown was done properly. Your grill needs to run a whole shutdown cycle before being turned off.
Check pellet quality. Pellets should be stored in a dry, airtight container to prevent moisture and humidity from compromising pellet quality. Pellets may be compromised if they are light in color, not shiny, dusty, break easily or the bag has a lot of sawdust in it.
Clean fire pot.
With the issue that your inside probe does not read the same temperature that you are measuring I will like to explain to you some things:
  1. We measure the temperature in 3 separate points one inch above the lower grill grate
  2. The thermocouple is used as a reference and the displayed temperature is the average temperature inside the grill.
  3. The grill is going to be hotter on the chimney side of the grill as the airflow/heat goes from the hopper side to the chimney side.
so this may be why the probe has a different temperature.

Let us know if you have further questions, we encourage you to call our hotline number 1-800-TRAEGER and someone from our experts will be happy to assist you.

Regards,
Marcos P.
Traeger Gills

Sent: Sat, Jun 1, 2019 02:51 PM -07:00
Hi.
In addition to the info below, I did the basic traeger recipe for roasted baby potatoes today. 25 minutes at 400 degrees is what the recipe says. It took 70 minutes with my grill set at 400 to have them to done. The baby potatoes were the size of a golf ball or smaller. The oven thermometer I had in the grill did not register a temp above 300 degrees.
Thanks

-------- Original message --------
Date: 2019-06-01 7:43 a.m. (GMT-08:00)

Hi.
The trouble-shooting below did not indicate a problem with the thermocouple. The display of the ambient temperature upon grill start appears to be correct.
As reported, what I am experiencing is that when the grill is in use (and my grill is a Pro 575, not the models listed in the trouble shooting instructions sent to me), is that while the grill displays a certain operating temperature, the actual temperature inside the grill, as measured by a quality oven thermometer, is approximately 30% lower.

I am unable to get the grill to obtain an actual operating temperature above 360 degrees.

The following is what I get. These measurements were taken during an outside temperature of 60 degrees, no wind, no rain, using Traeger pellets.
Each measurement was at the set temperature for at least 10 minutes with the grill lid closed so that grill display temperature was well stabilised.

Grill Display temperature Actual temperature in the grill (measured at centre of main grate via mechanical thermometer)
450 360
400 320
350 290
300 250
250 210
200 150

As mentioned, my grill is at the latest firmware level (01.01.01)

There are at least 3 threads on the Traeger user forums for this issue. It appears that many are experiencing this and are not happy:
https://www.traegerforum.com/threads/pro-575-not-achieving-temperatures.65/
https://www.traegerforum.com/threads/pro-575-temperature-issues.138/
https://www.traegerforum.com/threads/pro-575-not-achieving-temperatures.206/page-2#post-1220

I am significantly concerned by this and believe that it creates a health safety concern as following the various Traeger recipes and relying on the temperature display on the grill will lead to under-cooked meats and the distinct possibility of food poisoning.

I need to know by June 6th whether this will be resolved or I will need to return my grill to the retailer.

Thanks,
Dan Ehle
Of course I don't buy this 3 average business since that means the other two reference points must be even higher than the so-called average that the thermocouple is calibrated for (so around 495 in the 460 case, which means there is a 135 deg swing in temp across the grill surface - yikes!). In any event, why does the Ironwood series not have this problem since their last firmware update?

Again not bashing Traeger, I picked up a GMG Jim Bowie wifi last night. It is holding temps well. Definitely not off the mark. I checked it during burn in last night with a oven therm spot on at 350 degrees. Alot more cooking space vs. the 575 and holding temps well. Just letting you folks know who are looking for an option to the 575 issues. The pic on the right is the lid therm. Beer can chicken cooking right now! Have a great memorial day cook all.

View attachment 256View attachment 257

I know you have only had the Jim Bowie a little over a week now, but what do you think? I was just about the get a Traeger 575 until I started doing a little reading. Now it is making it really hard to spend that much on something I hope will work correctly. I was going to get a Daniel Boone before I found the 575. I guess I will just have to look at the GMG again. I don't think there is a local dealer though.

Of course I don't buy this 3 average business since that means the other two reference points must be even higher than the so-called average that the thermocouple is calibrated for (so around 495 in the 460 case, which means there is a 135 deg swing in temp across the grill surface - yikes!). In any event, why does the Ironwood series not have this problem since their last firmware update?
I personally think the Ironwood doesn't suffer as much from this issue because it has the downdraft exhaust and the air mixes around to a much greater extent vs the Pro series. I'm not seeing huge gaps or huge temperature swings on my Pro 575 anymore. I smoked a bunch of jerky yesterday with the grill set at 200F and the 575 typically cycled up and down between 185 and 220. The Taylor oven thermometer was showing maybe a 10F gap. Friday night's chicken was set to 350F and the gap was about 20F with very little movement up and down.

I personally think the Ironwood doesn't suffer as much from this issue because it has the downdraft exhaust and the air mixes around to a much greater extent vs the Pro series. I'm not seeing huge gaps or huge temperature swings on my Pro 575 anymore. I smoked a bunch of jerky yesterday with the grill set at 200F and the 575 typically cycled up and down between 185 and 220. The Taylor oven thermometer was showing maybe a 10F gap. Friday night's chicken was set to 350F and the gap was about 20F with very little movement up and down.
You could very well be right. Even so, the amount of temperature variance inside the 575 is still bothersome. I've done 2 cooks on my RecTec Stampede now, one low temp for reverse seared ribeyes and one high temp (550 deg!) for some brats last night. The temp in the middle of the grill measured with my calibrated ThermPro was within 5 deg of what the controller stated and the temp varied by no more than 3-5 deg throughout both cooks. Of course with all the stainless it has a lot more thermal mass than the 575 and it vents thru slots out the back rather than a smokestack. Maybe that really helps with the stability. I am glad though that your 575 seems to be behaving itself a lot more than mine did.

MY latest poke at T customer service and their response 'working as designed...'

Traeger Grills
303K people like this
Product/Service
Wed 8:46 AM
Dan

What's up with the pro 575 and temperatures? I can't get mine to go above 360 and the controller displays a temp that is 30% higher than actual temp. Customer service hasn't been able to resolve this and there appear to be lots of reports of this. Thanks
12:30 PM
Traeger Grills

Traeger Grills
Dan, Please make sure that you grill is updated to 01.01.01 and then trust the temp on the controller, We have pushed an update to fix minor bugs. We take temps from multiple points inside the barrel during production. We calibrate the controller to take a temp reading at the point where the thermo couple is located and we know what temps are happening in other parts of the barrel. When you set to 225, your barrel temp on average is going to be 225, air is moving around he barrel and you food is going to on average get hit with air that is heated to the set temp. To put simply, sit back relax and BBQ.

Hahah my favorite line.

"air is moving around he barrel and you food is going to on average get hit with air that is heated to the set temp"

Hahah on average get hit with air..

MY latest poke at T customer service and their response 'working as designed...'

Traeger Grills
303K people like this
Product/Service
Wed 8:46 AM
Dan

What's up with the pro 575 and temperatures? I can't get mine to go above 360 and the controller displays a temp that is 30% higher than actual temp. Customer service hasn't been able to resolve this and there appear to be lots of reports of this. Thanks
12:30 PM
Traeger Grills

Traeger Grills
Dan, Please make sure that you grill is updated to 01.01.01 and then trust the temp on the controller, We have pushed an update to fix minor bugs. We take temps from multiple points inside the barrel during production. We calibrate the controller to take a temp reading at the point where the thermo couple is located and we know what temps are happening in other parts of the barrel. When you set to 225, your barrel temp on average is going to be 225, air is moving around he barrel and you food is going to on average get hit with air that is heated to the set temp. To put simply, sit back relax and BBQ.
They are seriously delusional. Why should I not trust my calibrated ThermPro probe placed either next to their thermocouple or in the middle of the grill (where my meat will probably be sitting) ? Where exactly are these really hot spots inside the barrel that they want to report as reality?

Back