Status
Not open for further replies.

Sloppysalmon219

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
Guys,
I been a 20 year charcoal user and got my 1st Traeger a few weeks back. I got a pro575 and love it.

The ? I have is I have used oak, maple, plum, and apple and competition blend. Idk if I'm just so used to the charcoal tasted but I'm not tasting a difference between all of them. I have used traeger pellets and the competition is pit boss.

I'm just thinking of mixing all of them and just using them together

Some pellet brands leave the bark on the wood when they make pellets. I think those pellets give a smokier flavor some people enjoy. Not sure which brands but I bet google knows. People concerned about health affects might be horrified to know the bark is being used. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Just a cheap east idea to try. Find a brand that’s highest rated that has bark in the mix. Worst thing is your out 10-20 bucks.

Guys,
I been a 20 year charcoal user and got my 1st Traeger a few weeks back. I got a pro575 and love it.

The ? I have is I have used oak, maple, plum, and apple and competition blend. Idk if I'm just so used to the charcoal tasted but I'm not tasting a difference between all of them. I have used traeger pellets and the competition is pit boss.

I'm just thinking of mixing all of them and just using them togethe

Guys,

Almost same situation,
Guys,

Similar, forever Charcoal switched to Pro 575 last summer. Occasionally I sense the flavor in pellets but I wonder if its more of a mental "wanting" to recognize the differences. With charcoal it was everytime undeniable charcoal flavor. I've noticed the differences in smoke/flavor/taste more so since moving away from Traeger brand pellets. Have not tried pit boss but may soon since seeing a 40lb bag for 17 bucks.

Camp chef sells pellets with charcoal in them and I think kingsford does as well.

Any experience with them?
You can definitely detect the charcoal in them. It’s not overpowering. I’ve only used the camp chef ones once. I know guys like Heath Riles (pro cook) uses the kingsford ones. It’s worth a try for 10-20 bucks IMO. You might love them.

1641673229641.jpeg

Camp chef ones

Pit Boss makes a Charcoal Blend
20220108_124450.jpg20220108_124544.jpg
Lumberjack makes a Charcoal/Hickory blend also
20220108_124501.jpg20220108_124610.jpg

I find the Lumberjack has a bit more wood smell to the smoke. I don't find that any of them are a replacement to a Charcoal BBQ.
I did find the pellets to be really hard and the Traeger auger would sometimes sound like it was binding to break some of them. My one and only auger fire was with using them. I had started with a clean vacuumed grill, so I am at a loss as to what caused it
I am using them currently to season my Yoder. Auger is short on this grill and I haven't heard any straining yet

Pit Boss makes a Charcoal Blend
View attachment 8125View attachment 8126
Lumberjack makes a Charcoal/Hickory blend also
View attachment 8127View attachment 8128

I find the Lumberjack has a bit more wood smell to the smoke. I don't find that any of them are a replacement to a Charcoal BBQ.
I did find the pellets to be really hard and the Traeger auger would sometimes sound like it was binding to break some of them. My one and only auger fire was with using them. I had started with a clean vacuumed grill, so I am at a loss as to what caused it
I am using them currently to season my Yoder. Auger is short on this grill and I haven't heard any straining yet

(Thread jack)

I am excited to hear your thoughts on the Yoder.

You can definitely detect the charcoal in them. It’s not overpowering. I’ve only used the camp chef ones once. I know guys like Heath Riles (pro cook) uses the kingsford ones. It’s worth a try for 10-20 bucks IMO. You might love them.
I've spent more on worse!😁 thanks.

I'm cooking with Pit Boss "Competition" blend, which I believe is Hickory, Maple, and Apple blended. I'm looking to pickup a 100% charcoal or charcoal blend next as well.

Anyone mix their own blend? I was going to mix hickory maple and apple and charcoal soon
I mix mine all the time... but I'm never using charcoal.
Charcoal pellets ruined on guys auger in here a while back when they first came out... and Rusty had his one and only auger fire from them... they are too hard, like little rocks. It's not worth taking a chance on my Traeger for lousy charcoal smell.

Anyway, like I said, I mix hickory and mesquite as a norm

A lot of people, depending on what cooker you come from are disappointed with the smokiness of a pellet grill compared to their old stick burner. While I think my Pro 780 produces the right amount of smoke for my families taste I too have tried several different types of pellets and can't say I can notice a difference. I started with some high end stuff and tried everything in between. I settled on Smoke Ring brand maple hickory cherry as I can get them locally for under $15.00 (40 lbs) and everything I have cooked with them comes out good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back