not enough smoke flavor from my 850

I've been for 20+ years, you cannot expect a Traeger to make the same smoke environment as an offset charcoal/wood chunk burner does.
It is impossible to reproduce the smoke 'flavor' you are used to with a Pellet smoker. It burns wood pellets and has no way of giving a charcoal taste or even a real wood taste. I use 2 smoke tubes with wood chip/pellet mix and I'm totally satisfied with the results I get.
In many cases on our old offsets we were getting 'dirty' smoke at times which gave a flavor you probably got used to and which is RARE if ever on a Traeger.
You.can buy charcoal pellets

I actually just ordered it. I will reply back after I'm able to cook with it.

Just watch your temps close... this will most likely make your pit run hotter than your setting.

I just did dual smoke tubes on my recent pork butt cook... when the tube got down to "hot coals" (last stage) they made my set temp of 200 go to 235-240° until they went out. I would be most certain wood chunks would play with your temps, probably not something you would use on a low temp overnight cook.
I'm just saying

Just watch your temps close... this will most likely make your pit run hotter than your setting.

I just did dual smoke tubes on my recent pork butt cook... when the tube got down to "hot coals" (last stage) they made my set temp of 200 go to 235-240° until they went out. I would be most certain wood chunks would play with your temps, probably not something you would use on a low temp overnight cook.
I'm just saying
I plan on running this for the first few hours only while I'm awake to give it smoke. It's supposed to run for 2 to 3 hours. Then I'll leave it to pellets when I'm asleep.

I plan on running this for the first few hours only while I'm awake to give it smoke. It's supposed to run for 2 to 3 hours. Then I'll leave it to pellets when I'm asleep.

Possible to provide a review/results on your maiden Heavy D voyage ? Be greatly appreciated!

I look forward to your report!

So I have used this a few times and tje results are mixed. It did seem to offer better smoke flavor that is not the issue. Tje problem for me was controlling the temps.

I used full splits in each side not chunk with lava rocks.

I initially ignited the wood runni g around 275 for 20 mins or so and then lowered the temp to my desired set point.

It was still running hot and I had to crack the lid and it still ran about 20 degrees hotter. After an hour and a half it stopped smoking and I thought it was burned through the logs.

Later in the cook of my brisket I cranked up to 250 after wrapping. This is when things got crazy the wood reignited it wasn't fully burned up bit I didn't know. I walked away and the temps skyrocketed to 500 plus and I had a mess on my hands.

I has a similar experience the second time I cooked but not as crazy. I haven't used it since.

TBH I'm thinking about selling my traeger and getting the new woodwind pro that accounts for adding wood chunks.

So I have used this a few times and tje results are mixed. It did seem to offer better smoke flavor that is not the issue. Tje problem for me was controlling the temps.

I used full splits in each side not chunk with lava rocks.

I initially ignited the wood runni g around 275 for 20 mins or so and then lowered the temp to my desired set point.

It was still running hot and I had to crack the lid and it still ran about 20 degrees hotter. After an hour and a half it stopped smoking and I thought it was burned through the logs.

Later in the cook of my brisket I cranked up to 250 after wrapping. This is when things got crazy the wood reignited it wasn't fully burned up bit I didn't know. I walked away and the temps skyrocketed to 500 plus and I had a mess on my hands.

I has a similar experience the second time I cooked but not as crazy. I haven't used it since.

TBH I'm thinking about selling my traeger and getting the new woodwind pro that accounts for adding wood chunks.

Thank You for the review/response.. Where did you source/purchase the splits that were used? If purchased from store... were they kiln dried per chance? Did you try propping the lid open to vacate some heat?
I’ve also been looking at the new camp chef option. Reviews seem to be pretty good.

Thank You for the review/response.. Where did you source/purchase the splits that were used? If purchased from store... were they kiln dried per chance? Did you try propping the lid open to vacate some heat?
I’ve also been looking at the new camp chef option. Reviews seem to be pretty good.
I got the splits from my wood pile it is just seasoned wood not kiln dried. I did very t it during the initial cook to keep the temps around 20 degrees higher. But later when I cranked the heat to 250 it reignited it and I walked away before I realized what happened it had fully reignited the logs and was 500 plus degrees. Ended up pulling the brisket out to save it and finished it in the oven.

I got the splits from my wood pile it is just seasoned wood not kiln dried. I did very t it during the initial cook to keep the temps around 20 degrees higher. But later when I cranked the heat to 250 it reignited it and I walked away before I realized what happened it had fully reignited the logs and was 500 plus degrees. Ended up pulling the brisket out to save it and finished it in the oven.
Thanks for the report. I was considering getting this some time ago and was hesitant because the website said that you may have to leave the open as it will get hot. Your report made me decide not to get this.

I am not sure it will be better with the Woodwind Pro. It accepts only small splits, but will also require careful monitoring. An external smoke generator, such the Smoke Daddy, may be the best approach.

Thanks for the report. I was considering getting this some time ago and was hesitant because the website said that you may have to leave the open as it will get hot. Your report made me decide not to get this.

I am not sure it will be better with the Woodwind Pro. It accepts only small splits, but will also require careful monitoring. An external smoke generator, such the Smoke Daddy, may be the best approach.
The part about having to leave the door open was a no go for me also. Having to monitor it closely for 3 hours. No thanks.

Having access the pull out drawer on the Woodwind Pro should make it easier to adjust for temp and add small amounts at a time instead of needing to fully load the Smoke Daddy. I went ahead and ordered the Smoke Daddy Heavy D... I’ll report back when I get a few cooks under my belt. I have a few different “fuel” ideas that I’m thinking might work.

@rtb1982 How long did it take to receive your order from Smoke Daddy?

Latest Discussions

Back