not enough smoke flavor from my 850

I did not read all of the posts regarding smoke tubes but I am having a hard time thinking that after spending $1300 on my ironwood 650 I need smoke tubes. I have only used the grill 5 times and cans see smoke rings on my meats. I am going to try ribs this week on 321 recipe to compare to my Pro 22. What I am asking is do I really need smoke tubes
Many of us here have come to Traeger grills from charcoal grills or offset wood smokers. Compared to them pellet grills do not have an intense smoke flavor and we are trying get some of that by using smoke tubes. If you are a long time Traeger grill owner you may be happy without any smoke tubes. In fact, many do not like strong smoke flavors and prefer the milder smoke flavor of pellet grills.

I did not read all of the posts regarding smoke tubes but I am having a hard time thinking that after spending $1300 on my ironwood 650 I need smoke tubes. I have only used the grill 5 times and cans see smoke rings on my meats. I am going to try ribs this week on 321 recipe to compare to my Pro 22. What I am asking is do I really need smoke tubes

It all depends upon what you expect from your cook.

Smoke tubes will increase the smoke flavor, but you may or may not like. It also depends upon the type of pellets you use in the tubes. I have only done one cook so far with smoke tubes. I used a combination of Pit Boss Charcoal and Mesquite pellets and ended up with a really weird flavor. I will try milder pellets next time and perhaps just one tube.

You can get a couple of smoke tubes for about $20 so it is a fairly minor expense. If you get them, experiment to see what you like best: 0 tubes, 1 tube, or 2 tubes. Experiment with different pellets. However, if you are perfectly happy with the appearance and taste of your cooks, there is no need to use smoke tubes. It is your grill, your pellets, your meat, and your seasonings so you get to determine how best to combine them to achieve the results you desire.

Thanks Great input. This is my third Traeger so I have been very happy. However, I am not seeing much smoke from my Ironwood so far. Cooking a tri tip tonight. Will smoke it for 2 hours at 225 so should be a good test. For $20 I think it would be to have on hand especially for a low and slow brisket.

Tri tip salt and pepper only. 3.5 hours @ 225 degrees. 1/4 “smoke ring. I can not for any thing better.

Attachments

• 9B464604-2E0A-48CE-A16F-74E4804CD8A6.jpeg
    9B464604-2E0A-48CE-A16F-74E4804CD8A6.jpeg
    267.1 KB · Views: 34
Tri tip salt and pepper only. 3.5 hours @ 225 degrees. 1/4 “smoke ring. I can not for any thing better.

Looks delicious! What time should I show up for dinner??? :giggle:

I get my Century 885 on Monday! I am shifting from an electric smoke-n-tex to the treager. As I am not used to getting the stick/offset level of smoke I am optimistic that the Treager+smoking tube will far exceed the electric smoker! (I never get a smoke ring with the electric smoker fyi!) The amount of wood you can fit in the smoking tube is about the same as the smoking box (or more....). How much do the pellets flavor things? I usually smoke ribs/brisket at 212-225 and go low and slow. On the electric smoker I get great bark and a nice (but never overpowering) smoke flavor.

Over the years I have tried charcoal, propane, electric smokers - but never had a nicer one like the Traeger. The electric smoker is a solid cooker and is great for some things (nuts and veggies are great)....

Anyway - hopefully I will be able to set it up on Monday!

I plan to seal the door right away.

Any tips would be appreciated.

I understand what you're saying. I felt the same way when I got my Ironwood 650. So, I consider wood pellets a convenient fuel and not for any flavor. Plus, the Traeger is a lot easier to clean than my smoker.

Basically, if you want the traditional (BBQ joint) smoke flavor on your meat, you'll want to use a smoke tube filled with about 80% WOOD CHIPS and 20% wood pellets. Pack it down well as you fill it. Light and let it burn for about 45 minutes upright and it will stay lit for 3-4 hours. I've read that meat will only take about 3.5 hours of smoke, so let it smoke the whole time.

Here is a whole discussion about smoke tubes.... https://www.traegerforum.com/threads/smoke-tubes.2593/page-3#post-35166

I've tried the charcoal pellets recently, but if I use too many in the tube, the charcoal taste is too strong. I'm going back to the hickory pellets to fill in gaps in my smoke tube.

I've recently noticed that putting the lit end of the smoke tube towards the back of my Ironwood seems to make a difference in terms of it staying lit. I tried it facing the front and it was hard to keep it lit. Maybe more air moving in the back?

Bottom line is that the smoke from burning wood pellets (compressed sawdust) doesn't taste like the smoke from actual burning wood (wood chips). So, the smoke tube adds the traditional smoke you might be after.

Good Smokin'

Attachments

• smoke tube with wood chips.jpg
    smoke tube with wood chips.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Smoke from 2 tubes - more.jpg
    Smoke from 2 tubes - more.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I've tried the charcoal pellets recently, but if I use too many in the tube, the charcoal taste is too strong. I'm going back to the hickory pellets to fill in gaps in my smoke tube.

I second your comment about avoiding charcoal pellets in smoke tubes. The flavor is not good.

Charcoal pellets are great when you want to use high heat for grilling burgers, etc.

I understand what you're saying. I felt the same way when I got my Ironwood 650. So, I consider wood pellets a convenient fuel and not for any flavor. Plus, the Traeger is a lot easier to clean than my smoker.

Basically, if you want the traditional (BBQ joint) smoke flavor on your meat, you'll want to use a smoke tube filled with about 80% WOOD CHIPS and 20% wood pellets. Pack it down well as you fill it and it will stay lit for 3-4 hours. I've read that meat will only take about 3.5 hours of smoke, so let it smoke the whole time.

Here is a whole discussion about smoke tubes.... https://www.traegerforum.com/threads/smoke-tubes.2593/page-3#post-35166

I've recently noticed that putting the lit end of the smoke tube towards the back of my Ironwood seems to make a difference in terms of it staying lit. I tried it facing the front and it was hard to keep it lit. Maybe more air moving in the back?

Bottom line is that the smoke from burning wood pellets (compressed sawdust) doesn't taste like the smoke from actual burning wood (wood chips). So, the smoke tube adds the traditional smoke you might be after.

Good Smokin'
Thanks for the link. A lot of good info

I have the same grill and I have never used a smoke tube. My results have been great and people have raved. I don't get a heavy smoke flavor but frankly, that's not what I'm after. I like a delicate smoke flavor from some kind of fruit wood or a blend. And, like you, I've been getting a very nice pink smoke ring every time. I think the most importance part of the equation is the rub. The rub can make or break the quality of pulled pork or baby back ribs in my opinion.

I have the same grill and I have never used a smoke tube. My results have been great and people have raved. I don't get a heavy smoke flavor but frankly, that's not what I'm after. I like a delicate smoke flavor from some kind of fruit wood or a blend. And, like you, I've been getting a very nice pink smoke ring every time. I think the most importance part of the equation is the rub. The rub can make or break the quality of pulled pork or baby back ribs in my opinion.
You are so right the rub is very important. My ribs were a bust this week. After super smoking for 3 hr at 225 we decided to rap the ribs in 2 layers of butcher, placed ribs meat side down on top on pats butter and brown sugar. Paper leaked but the ribs were still moist. Not much flavor. Will go back to rapping them in foil and toss the rub.

You are so right the rub is very important. My ribs were a bust this week. After super smoking for 3 hr at 225 we decided to rap the ribs in 2 layers of butcher, placed ribs meat side down on top on pats butter and brown sugar. Paper leaked but the ribs were still moist. Not much flavor. Will go back to rapping them in foil and toss the rub.

In the 3-2 1 method (which some swear by and some swear at), you season the ribs, smoke for 3 hours to app 160 degrees F, wrap and cook another 2 hours. Then you unwrap the ribs, cover them with sauce and cook a final hour to set the glaze. I usually use foil, but butcher paper should work as well. The right seasoning and the right sauce is critical.

I guess I’m curious as to why there’s such a difference. Came from an offset stick burner, used wood only, thin blue all the way. Was tired of maintaining a fire all day - and I knew I’d be sacrificing some flavor, but I’m still confused.
The smoke coming out of the Traeger smells great. Exactly the thin blue I want, but the meat does not seem to absorb it as well. I’m not looking for billowy white acrid smoke flavor, just more of what’s there. I get gorgeous smoke rings, good bark, but without the flavor to match.
That’s what’s so confusing- everything is the same, the thin blue smoke, the bark, the rings, and yet - there is a very mild smoke flavor to the meat, vs the huge flavor I’m used to.
Maybe some questions would be - are some pellets less processed than others?
How much better does wet meat absorb smoke flavor, compared to a dry smoke?
Any other - non-white-smoke - suggestions out there?

I think those who have used wood-fired offset smokers have become accustomed to the smoky taste.

Cured wood has a much higher moisture content than pellets and the pieces of wood are much different in size and shape. Thus, wood burns differently than pellets. I have read some speculation that the variation in cooking temperatures as you tend a manual feed firebox might also contribute to the flavor.

I have never owned an offset smoker. Sometimes the smoky flavor of Traeger is too much for my wife and I, but I can understand that coming from an offset smoker experience is quite different.

You might be interested in this thread about adding a Smoke Daddy generator to your grill. That might be the only way to replicate the offset smoker experience on a Traeger.

Last edited:
Back