New Traeger Owner

Hi all, John from Jersey here. My brand new Ironwood 885 got delivered yesterday and I couldn't be more excited! I have a couple stupid basic questions to start. I already seasoned my grill, and I plan on using it today for burgers and dogs.

- To use it for grilling, as opposed to smoking, do I simply turn it on, set the temp to 400ish, and just grill when it reaches temp? Any special settings it needs to go on to grill?

-I've read that pellet smokers don't create lots of smoke, I read about smoke tubes. What's the consensus on them? Worth getting one?

-Does everyone really only use Traeger brand pellets? If not, what other brands should I be looking at?

-Is it OK to leave pellets in the hopper in between uses? Will they get funky?

I'm sure I'll have a ton more questions, thanks for the help guys, I appreciate any help I can get.

<John>
I’ll answer 2 of your questions. These are my opinions, not necessarily those of others.

Smoke tubes - I get plenty of smoke from my Traeger. I don’t use a smoke tube and feel my meats have sufficient smoke flavor.

Leaving pellets in the hopper - I live in Houston, rated as the 10th most humid city in the US. I leave my pellets in the hopper year around. I have never had an issue with the pellets decomposing or clogging the feeder tube. I have even gone a couple months without using the Traeger.

I’m sure offers might have had different experiences, but these are what I’ve experienced.

The only issue I’ve had with my Traeger is the temperature control. Traeger’s are known for not having the best temperature controls. Mine cooks 20 deg lower than the set temp. If you have a temp problem, just get a cheap analog thermometer, determine the differential, then adjust the controller by that amount each time you cook. No need for the expensive third party controllers often recommend.

No question is stupid . Very good question . You don’t have to get a smoke tube it’s personal preference . With the super smoke it’s not needed in my opinion. Som people want lots of smoke taste for some reason they get enough . Look at the receips on the app and traeger Facebook page join it .
Traeger pellets produce less ash but you do not have to use Traeger brand . Lumberjack also good brand to use . Look at meat church web and Facebook page good suggestions . You must join the social media pages will help you .

Hi all, John from Jersey here. My brand new Ironwood 885 got delivered yesterday and I couldn't be more excited! I have a couple stupid basic questions to start. I already seasoned my grill, and I plan on using it today for burgers and dogs.

- To use it for grilling, as opposed to smoking, do I simply turn it on, set the temp to 400ish, and just grill when it reaches temp? Any special settings it needs to go on to grill?

-I've read that pellet smokers don't create lots of smoke, I read about smoke tubes. What's the consensus on them? Worth getting one?

-Does everyone really only use Traeger brand pellets? If not, what other brands should I be looking at?

I'm sure I'll have a ton more questions, thanks for the help guys, I appreciate any help I can get.

<John>
HI John,

I use Bear Mountain pellets. I found that Traeger pellets have more dust. Have used other brands including Walmart (don't recommend). I use a smoke tube with a combination of wood chips and pellets. Try running your 885 at 180 for about an hour to see if you get enough smoke before buying a smoke tube. I use a gas grill for searing, steaks, etc. My traeger can get to 500, but really eats pellets at that temp. One thing to be cautious of is shut down. If you are tuning at a temp over 350, run at 200 (note the phrase AT 200) for at least 5 minutes before shutting down. If you ever see smoke coming out of the hopper, remove the food, then run the shut down cycle immediately. Keep everything closed for at least 30 minutes after the smoke stops. Watch for an error code on the screen and take a picture, tech support will need that error code.

<John>
For burgers I like to super smoke them for a few minutes pull them off and raise the heat and finish them. Otherwise just set the heat high and cook them, to me it’s like a convection oven.

You will get a million opinions

First if you didn’t buy the table go on eBay or somewhere and buy one. You won’t be happy without it

Dump the pellets into a container and close the cover. Lowes sells cheap buckets with a gasket. Otherwise they absorb moisture and will not be as good

At low temperature they smoke fine. The 885 has super smoke. Smoke tubes, I think, make dirty smoke. I stopped using them.

Traeger makes a good product but a few other pellets are good and if you watch cheaper. I like Bear Mountain. Pit Boss are good (I just saw them at wal mart for $9). You can avoid the $20 a bag price if you watch for deals.

Get some GrillGrates if you intend to "grill" on your smoker. Also, moving meat to the edges of your grate will add more direct heat for a little more char. Smoke tube works ok, but it works better with wood chips instead of pellets. The lower the temp, the more smoke you get, over about 275 there is not much smoke effect,

<John>
I have never ever found a need for a smoke tube while using my pellet smoker. It gets plenty of smoke!

Grilling at high temps can be done but it isn't where this grill shines. I'd rather use it for a reverse sear or finish it on the smoker after searing it somewhere else. My highest setting is "high" which gets to 475+ and does the job, but takes lots more pellets than your average smoke. Burgers are great, thick steaks take some patience and timing. Investing in a good thermo is recommended.

The only pellets I've had problems with is the knottywood plum wood where the wood turns into a thick rock of ash that jams the auger, the company's almond wood pellets run flawlessly though.

I'm from the northeast and have never had a problem leaving them in the hopper, but I smoke at least a couple times a week.

Happy smoking!

<John>

<John>
I got an 885 two months ago and hadn’t realised that is far more smoker than grill.
If you are a grilled you may be disappointed by the result.
Suggest you get some Grillgrates. They have transformed my 885 and made it far more versatile.

I have used a variety of pellets without any significant issues. Personally, I do not like Traeger pellets because they are dusty. I use Bear Mountain, Pit Boss and occasionally the Expert Grill pellets from Walmart. When I first started, I sifted my pellets to remove dust. Now I just pour them in the hopper. I have not seen any huge difference in performance.

If you expect rainy weather such as the current monsoon rains in the Southwest or potential tropical storm and hurricanes in the Southeast later this summer, it might be best to remove pellets from the hopper, especially if you won't be using the grill for a while. If you use the grill routinely, leaving pellets in the hopper is not likely to cause a problem

One more comment about smoke tubes. I'd recommend not using pellets in the tube, but try wood chips. You'll get much better flavor. Also, I only go low and slow on my Traeger. If I want to grill, I use an 18" Weber Jumbo Joe with wood chunks on the coals. Good luck.

<John>
John,
Just depends on what you are planning on cooking. For grilling yes just set your temp and when the grill reaches that you are good to go.
If I am smoking something I do the low and slow method and set mine at 225.
I have used both Traeger and off brand. One thing about the off brand is they create much more ash then the Traeger blend does. I usually go back and forth between pellets.
Yes I leave my pellets in the hopper all the time. My cover is always on so they stay dry till I am ready to use them. I use a shop vac and clean out the ash after ever use.

Jason

For burgers I like to super smoke them for a few minutes pull them off and raise the heat and finish them. Otherwise just set the heat high and cook them, to me it’s like a convection oven.

You will get a million opinions

First if you didn’t buy the table go on eBay or somewhere and buy one. You won’t be happy without it

Dump the pellets into a container and close the cover. Lowes sells cheap buckets with a gasket. Otherwise they absorb moisture and will not be as good

At low temperature they smoke fine. The 885 has super smoke. Smoke tubes, I think, make dirty smoke. I stopped using them.

Traeger makes a good product but a few other pellets are good and if you watch cheaper. I like Bear Mountain. Pit Boss are good (I just saw them at wal mart for $9). You can avoid the $20 a bag price if you watch for deals.

Thanks for the info! Not sure what table you are referring to. Thanks.

<John>

Thanks for the info! Not sure what table you are referring to. Thanks.

<John>
I suspect he is talking about the drop-down front shelf for the front of the IW885. Traeger sells one for around $80.

Although I could afford the $80, I like looking for bargains. On Prime Day, I purchased a alternative brand for much less. As far as I can tell, it is the same as the Traeger. It fit perfectly. The specific one I ordered is currently out of stock, but others listed as BAC442 should fit if you want to save a few dollars. Or just get the Traeger from your local ACE Hardware or Home Depot.

Hello everyone,

I purchased a pro 780 about two weeks ago. Smoked a great deal. Im new and would imagine a learning curve.

Was hoping for more smoke, but thats not the case. Was looking for a super smoker setting, but guess the 780 doesn't have it. The lower models have it and the more expensive ones do. Hmmmm is there a way I can add it to my 780?

Do I have to use Traeger pellets?

I was reading a comment on this site and someone recommended smoke tunes. Hmmm, What are smoke tunes and what do they do?

Thank you.

Hello everyone,

I purchased a pro 780 about two weeks ago. Smoked a great deal. Im new and would imagine a learning curve.

Was hoping for more smoke, but thats not the case. Was looking for a super smoker setting, but guess the 780 doesn't have it. The lower models have it and the more expensive ones do. Hmmmm is there a way I can add it to my 780?

I was reading a comment on this site and someone recommended smoke tunes. Hmmm, What are smoke tunes and what do they do?

Thank you.
The Pro series (my Pro 575 and your Pro 780) do not have the super smoke setting and you cannot just add it. Also, you do not have to use Traeger pellets. I recommend you try different brands and the settle on what you like best.

There are numerous threads on this forum discussing smoke tubes. Do a search (use the search bar on the top right corner) and you will find them. Here is an example: https://www.traegerforum.com/threads/smoke-tubes.2593/

Also, Slimpicker in this forum put out a short video showing how to use a smoke tube:

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

Thank you.

The higher the temperature setpoint, the less smoke you will get as the fire burns cleaner. You do not want thick white smoke as that can produce a bitter, acrid taste in the meat. You want a thin, blue smoke from a clean fire.

The Traeger uses wood pellets that will never produce the same smoke flavor as a stick of wood. However, you will get more smoke from the Traeger if you keep the temperature below 225 F. On cooler days, you might be able to run the grill even lower, but on a hot summer day, that will be difficult. Anything much above 225 F is going to produce minimal smoke flavor. However, that can be an advantage if you are cooking something like a cake and do not want it to smell smoky.

Back