Ironwood 885 display going bad

This is what I want. I have a 780 now so space is about equal. 2 years or what ever now, I have never made more food then the grill could easily accommodate.

My wife is on-board but I just can’t push myself to spend $2K+ on a grill that is a “slight” improvement over what I currently have.

That and I really don’t eat a lot of meat (maybe a few times a month) plus I’m really cooking for two.

But man I want that grill!
These are my thoughts exactly. Also, I live alone and my freezer is already full from the results of previous cooks. It's just that I want the latest and greatest toy!

Well I'm the same really, but "slight improvement"?, I dunno, Jake will have to put a % grade on that one. I'll spend the 2k easy but I say it's more than a 'slight' to have a tank with FireBoard built in and removable firepot, etc.
I'll barebones my 575 on "marketplace" and keep all my extras, it's got to go anyway to make room.
(probably not for a while yet, I just like dreaming)

I'll barebones my 575 on "marketplace" and keep all my extras, it's got to go anyway to make room.
This is unfortunately true for me as well. There is no room for another grill so either the Weber gas one or the Pro 575 has to go if I'm to get a Yoder.

So I will probably wait a few years. Maybe I can induce my controller to go bad during that time!

Well I'm the same really, but "slight improvement"?, I dunno, Jake will have to put a % grade on that one. I'll spend the 2k easy but I say it's more than a 'slight' to have a tank with FireBoard built in and removable firepot, etc.

I was really thinking about the output. I have no doubt it’s a much better grill, which is why I want it. BADLY.

But will your food be “next level better”? I haven’t convinced myself of that, yet. I don’t want to pay that much and have my wife say it tastes like the same crap she’s used to eating. :)

If I was starting fresh and had to buy something…I’d likely get the Yoder.

But my thought is to sell the Traeger and maybe even the Weber gas if the direct dire is good enough.

And then I have my daughter to contend with. She gave me the Traeger and when I was talking to my wife about selling it for the Yoder she overheard and got mad!

Hard to put a % better on the smoke flavor. Is it better, In my opinion, yes. But that also depends on the pellets I use. Using the same pellets side by side on both grills when I did the suckling pig, the Yoder generated more smoke. There was no denying that. But, it is still pellet grill smoke. So do I notice more smoke in my cooked foods, yes. But is it worth the extra $. That's an individual decision. I have used a smoke tube in it only once. I just don't feel I need it. I wasn't unhappy with the Traeger smoke, but I did augment that with a tube a lot of the time.
The Yoder has its shortfalls. But they seem small when I look at the things I like about the Yoder. I wanted more space for cooks. If I didn't want that, I would probably still only have my Traeger.
On the Yoder I like the fact that you can dump out the burnt pellets and whatever ash is in the firepot between cooks. I did a brisket cook, pulled pork cook and beef bacon and then a pork loin roast cook with only dumping out the ashes in the firepot between cooks. A long cooks, two overnight cooks. Then cleaning up the two grills. The hardest part about the Yoder is the weight of everything you take out. It is solidly built including all of the parts inside. Not really a fault, but definitely harder that the Traeger there. But cleaning it is way easier. Maybe because it is so much bigger? I don't dread cleaning it.
I like the sear functionality on the Yoder. I still use my gad grill, but to use the Yoder is not a hassle at all. It works as advertised. Temperature comes up quick, the firepot is open under the grates and it sears like a BBQ would.
It isn't a night and day difference between the Traeger and Yoder. But there is a difference.
I would like to see a Lonestar Grillz pellet grill in operation and taste the food from it.
All the grills have the potential to make the same smoke generated like the LSGz, but will they ever implement the change into their controllers? The TimberlineXL seems to pump out a lot of smoke, so Traeger can do it with some programming changes. Or do they keep it to their high end product to try and force the upgrade to the consumer side...
If there's something specific you want to know about the Yoder experience so far, let me know and I will do my best to answer it in an unbiased way. I like both my Yoder and my Traeger, but only one is really seeing any use right now (especially seeing I have been on a Kamado kick of late)

Last edited:
Hard to put a % better on the smoke flavor. Is it better, In my opinion, yes. But that also depends on the pellets I use. Using the same pellets side by side on both grills when I did the suckling pig, the Yoder generated more smoke. There was no denying that. But, it is still pellet grill smoke. So do I notice more smoke in my cooked foods, yes. But is it worth the extra $. That's an individual decision. I have used a smoke tube in it only once. I just don't feel I need it. I wasn't unhappy with the Traeger smoke, but I did augment that with a tube a lot of the time.
The Yoder has its shortfalls. But they seem small when I look at the things I like about the Yoder. I wanted more space for cooks. If I didn't want that, I would probably still only have my Traeger.
On the Yoder I like the fact that you can dump out the burnt pellets and whatever ash is in the firepot between cooks. I did a brisket cook, pulled pork cook and beef bacon and then a pork loin roast cook with only dumping out the ashes in the firepot between cooks. A long cooks, two overnight cooks. Then cleaning up the two grills. The hardest part about the Yoder is the weight of everything you take out. It is solidly built including all of the parts inside. Not really a fault, but definitely harder that the Traeger there. But cleaning it is way easier. Maybe because it is so much bigger? I don't dread cleaning it.
I like the sear functionality on the Yoder. I still use my gad grill, but to use the Yoder is not a hassle at all. It works as advertised. Temperature comes up quick, the firepot is open under the grates and it sears like a BBQ would.
It isn't a night and day difference between the Traeger and Yoder. But there is a difference.
I would like to see a Lonestar Grillz pellet grill in operation and taste the food from it.
All the grills have the potential to make the same smoke generated like the LSGz, but will they ever implement the change into their controllers? The TimberlineXL seems to pump out a lot of smoke, so Traeger can do it with some programming changes. Or do they keep it to their high end product to try and force the upgrade to the consumer side...
If there's something specific you want to know about the Yoder experience so far, let me know and I will do my best to answer it in an unbiased way. I like both my Yoder and my Traeger, but only one is really seeing any use right now (especially seeing I have been on a Kamado kick of late)

It isn't a night and day difference between the Traeger and Yoder. But there is a difference

I'd call that a big difference, plus only ONE app for the whole thing at all times...

Before I completely write off Traeger because of a poor customer service experience, I will send a snail mail letter to HQ in Utah and see what happens.

I'll let y'all know the results when I get them.

Stay tuned.

Before I completely write off Traeger because of a poor customer service experience, I will send a snail mail letter to HQ in Utah and see what happens.

I'll let y'all know the results when I get them.

Stay tuned.
And maybe a Facebook message if that doesn't work.

My 6 weeks out of warranty Ironwood 885's display is going bad. Traeger Customer Service offered a whopping 15% off a new 300 controller to fix the problem.

Not a happy camper.

View attachment 10098
Bad news for sure. Was it outside exposed to much sunlight? I remember when I was shopping for grills my biggest concern was how the electronics would hold up in the outdoor environment. Mine is out in the sunlight with only the cover on it. close to 300 days of sun per year. Every time I turn it on I hold my breath. Oh well.

Bad news for sure. Was it outside exposed to much sunlight?
Nope. Under roof and under a Traeger cover. Even when in use, it's not exposed to sunlight.

Now we've had ton's of 100+ degree days since mid May this year, but that should not be a problem.

1661819206741.png

I had the same issue with my 885. I however was provided a new controller after doing on online customer service meeting. One thing the tech had me do was to turn the contrast way down and it showed back up. I did push it and a new one was sent. It is a known issue and not a one off.

Yep. Spend that kinda $$ on a grill and 6 weeks out of warranty the display goes bad and they don't step up.

For $300, it will be their loss as I'm done with Traeger, but not done talking about their disappointing customer service and defective parts.
All warranties have a time limit. Yours has passed. So how long after the warranty period do you think you should be compensated? 1 week? 6 weeks? 52 weeks? Lifetime? I don't see this as a failure on Traeger's part, but I do see it as an attitude of entitlement on your part.

I guess I am "entitled" too because I'd sure expect it to work longer than a few weeks past a year. Especially if it is a known problem, which is sounds like.

All warranties have a time limit. Yours has passed. So how long after the warranty period do you think you should be compensated? 1 week? 6 weeks? 52 weeks? Lifetime? I don't see this as a failure on Traeger's part, but I do see it as an attitude of entitlement on your part.

You can see it that way. It's my fault that I did not recognize the defect as a defect while it was in warranty. I thought it was a contrast issue. I also use my Century 22 a lot and the Ironwood remains covered when not in use. Had I not purchased TWO Traegers, I would not have this problem because it would have been spotted months ago using just my IW885. It's moot with my Century 22 where I have been spending money on replacing parts because it's also out of warranty, but long enough for me not to ask for any special treatment.

I've been a Traeger champion & evangelizer for a decade and have influenced well over 100 Traeger Grill purchases, so yes, having helped Traeger grow their business over the years and never asking for anything, I do feel entitled to ask for a few week extension on the warranty. It never hurts to ask.

If Traeger does not recognize my efforts to support them, then that's their decision.

Latest Discussions

Back