Internal Temp and probe temp off by 30 to 40 degrees

cabchop

Reaction score
Grill
Traeger 575 Pro
Hello all.

I appreciate any feedback or assistance as I am a rookie with the Traeger 575. The main issue I am having is with the internal temperature. I set the grill to 225 and placed a brisket on the grill. Four hours later I put in a "Metear probe" to check the temp of the meat. The meater probe also displays the ambient (grill) temperature. I was amazed at the variance. The meter was showing 180 as the ambient/grill temperature. I left the meater probe in the brisket (lid closed) for three more hours and the variance was the same. I have used this meater in an oven, with a propane grill and it does a great job of providing a very accurate ambient temperature.

I turned the heat up to 275 with the metear still in the brisket. It is showing the ambient/internal temp as 233. Am I missing something? I have the latest firmware, did the seasoning, etc. One other bit of information...I was intending to use the Traeger probe that came with the grill. Unfortunately, the probe is not working as it is registering incorrect temps as well. I did calibrate the probe several times but it is displaying temps that are 30-40 degress off the temperature of the meat. I called customer support and they are sending a new internal probe.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Hi cabchop

My understanding is that the Traeger probes cannot be trusted. Assuming that's correct I'd suggest you use the meater probe to measure the ambient temp and adjust your grill accordingly.

Hi Pogo007

Thanks for the reply. I'll keep playing around with it and report back. FWIW, I have been very impressed with the meater probes and will probably take your advice. Thanks again.

My pit probe is pretty accurate at 180 degrees but it's off by 20 degrees at 225 or higher. I don't even know where the meat probe is, to be honest. I think you'll find that most (if not all) here use an external device to measure both food and pit temps.

FireBoard 2 is a popular device here and InkBird is really making moves in the market (I saw Amazon has one of their BBQ units with 4 probes on sale for $50. These types of devices are going to be much more accurate than the built-in Traeger thermometers, they all have apps for the smart phones, and you can capture/record information about your cook(s).

So no, you're not alone!

Hello all.

I appreciate any feedback or assistance as I am a rookie with the Traeger 575. The main issue I am having is with the internal temperature. I set the grill to 225 and placed a brisket on the grill. Four hours later I put in a "Metear probe" to check the temp of the meat. The meater probe also displays the ambient (grill) temperature. I was amazed at the variance. The meter was showing 180 as the ambient/grill temperature. I left the meater probe in the brisket (lid closed) for three more hours and the variance was the same. I have used this meater in an oven, with a propane grill and it does a great job of providing a very accurate ambient temperature.

I turned the heat up to 275 with the metear still in the brisket. It is showing the ambient/internal temp as 233. Am I missing something? I have the latest firmware, did the seasoning, etc. One other bit of information...I was intending to use the Traeger probe that came with the grill. Unfortunately, the probe is not working as it is registering incorrect temps as well. I did calibrate the probe several times but it is displaying temps that are 30-40 degress off the temperature of the meat. I called customer support and they are sending a new internal probe.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

I own 2 Meaters... it is not a good ambient probe because it is always close to your meat... it is designed to only give you a general reading... it's even worse if you install the probe thru the TOP of the meat, now all it reads is the heat that cools as it travels around the meat... Meater is not giving you readings close to the Traeger probe itself, that is the only way you will find out what your Traeger is really "off" by.

You NEED, and I'm sorry to say 'need' but it's the best tool besides your grill itself, A FIREBOARD with ambient probes and this way you can tell exactly what is happening inside you grill... either that or just don't rely on the "ambient" part of the Meater and just go by your Traeger temp probe only... use the Meater for IT readings, it's quite accurate for IT readings and I like the APP.

Hi Pogo007

Thanks for the reply. I'll keep playing around with it and report back. FWIW, I have been very impressed with the meater probes and will probably take your advice. Thanks again.
Please let me know how it goes if you can. The only negative thing I've read about the Meater is in the post above by SlimPicker (i.e. that the Meater ambient probe is too close to the meat). What SlimPicker and others suggest is having an accurate ambient probe that can sit close to the Traeger ambient probe. He recommends the rather expensive FIREBOARD but there are others that are said to be accurate (although maybe not as responsive) that are much less expensive such as the ThermoPro TP27 and TP28. Unlike the Fireboard these do not have an app which, in my opinion, is not a disadvantage.

He recommends the rather expensive FIREBOARD but there are others that are said to be accurate

►I'm not a FireBoard salesman, ►I don't get kickbacks, ►and even tho I flirt with The lady at their customer service, she is married to a big biker dude named "Eliminator"...
No, the reason I recommend FireBoard is because it is an 'investment', it will PAY FOR ITSELF in successful cooks in no time, and the APP??? ►don't get me started on how cool it is to sit in bed watching TV and with one swipe down on my phone all the TEMPs are shown right there on my screen, a swipe over and phone closed... THE END

I bought Thermopro, and I had 3 Mavericks with about 8 probes... The old saying goes, you get what you pay for... THAT'S JUST ME THO...
I'm the first one here to understand some cannot afford this kind of tool, but you either put cheap 40k tires on your truck or you pony up for 80k smooth riding 'mac daddies'.

►I'm not a FireBoard salesman, ►I don't get kickbacks, ►and even tho I flirt with The lady at their customer service, she is married to a big biker dude named "Eliminator"...
No, the reason I recommend FireBoard is because it is an 'investment', it will PAY FOR ITSELF in successful cooks in no time, and the APP??? ►don't get me started on how cool it is to sit in bed watching TV and with one swipe down on my phone all the TEMPs are shown right there on my screen, a swipe over and phone closed... THE END

I bought Thermopro, and I had 3 Mavericks with about 8 probes... The old saying goes, you get what you pay for... THAT'S JUST ME THO...
I'm the first one here to understand some cannot afford this kind of tool, but you either put cheap 40k tires on your truck or you pony up for 80k smooth riding 'mac daddies'.
I'm sure the Fireboard is great and I know a number of people swear by them but the app isn't so great when you lose WiFi during, say, a power outage. Like wheels falling off a truck it doesn't happen often but when it does..... 😄

I'm sure the Fireboard is great and I know a number of people swear by them but the app isn't so great when you lose WiFi during, say, a power outage. Like wheels falling off a truck it doesn't happen often but when it does..... 😄
Well, if your power goes out you ain't cookin on your Traeger anyway!!!!

Well, as luck has it the Fireboard will also work directly to the phone via Bluetooth (we don't need no stinking wifi!). :D

Latest Discussions

Back