Internal Temp and probe temp off by 30 to 40 degrees

$29 will get you a 650VA UPS. You'll finish most cooks without power with this little unit.
Looking at the specifications of this UPS I see that the output voltage wave form is a simulated sine wave and not a true sine wave. Some devices can be damaged by devices that output simulated sine waves. Do you happen to know if Traeger grills can be damaged in this way? As well, I see that the full load run time of this UPS is 2 minutes and the half load run time is 9 minutes. Based on my test on the Ranger grill (see https://www.traegerforum.com/threads/portable-battery-power-for-the-ranger.2370/post-20456) I'm not at all confident this unit could continue powering a Traeger grill for very long.

This temp variance is a chronic issue. My CostCo Century 885 arrived 19 January 2021 . First two cooks I stood by the grill the whole time trying to get temps stabilized. Both meat and grill thermometers replaced under warranty. Still way off. They want an ice water bath to calibrate meat probe. Note many steaks are cooked in ice water. So will try boiling water for their meat probe comparing it to my Thermapen Mk4. I will adjust the Traeger off set to bring it in line with the Thermapen. Their test for the grill temp probes is is it close to local air temp when grill is powered on.....

I use Thermoworks Signals and boy there is a tremendous temp drop going from right to left where the chimney is on the 885. Air takes path of least resistance so with heat source in the middle, not too much wants to go right.

Since this 885 came from CostCo, I may send it back and get the Timberline 1300 as the chimney is a slit across the width of the back for a more even exhaust air flow.

I had a 40 degree temp drop across a piece of meat.....

Just gave up and ordered a Fireboard 2 Drive. Now there will be 3 thermometer probes just like the US Navy had three navuagtionn clocks so the error could be detected. We will have the Traeger, the Thermoworks Signals and now the Fireboard 2 system. Once I can prove the temps Tony self, the poor engineering will have to go.

The fireboat is in the middle. There is a fan pressurizing the grill to force air out the chimney on the left so not much hot air is going to the right. Cremated left side and under cooked right side. To my mind, maybe a Timberline 1300 was designed properly with the exhaust a long port all alongtheu back side.

Last edited:
This temp variance is a chronic issue. My CostCo Century 885 arrived 19 January 2021 . First two cooks I stood by the grill the whole time trying to get temps stabilized. Both meat and grill thermometers replaced under warranty. Still way off. They want an ice water bath to calibrate meat probe. Note many steaks are cooked in ice water. So will try boiling water for their meat probe comparing it to my Thermapen Mk4. I will adjust the Traeger off set to bring it in line with the Thermapen. Their test for the grill temp probes is is it close to local air temp when grill is powered on.....

I use Thermoworks Signals and boy there is a tremendous temp drop going from right to left where the chimney is on the 885. Air takes path of least resistance so with heat source in the middle, not too much wants to go right.

Since this 885 came from CostCo, I may send it back and get the Timberline 1300 as the chimney is a slit across the width of the back for a more even exhaust air flow.

I had a 40 degree temp drop across a piece of meat.....

Just gave up and ordered a Fireboard 2 Drive. Now there will be 3 thermometer probes just like the US Navy had three navuagtionn clocks so the error could be detected. We will have the Traeger, the Thermoworks Signals and now the Fireboard 2 system. Once I can prove the temps Tony self, the poor engineering will have to go.

The fireboat is in the middle. There is a fan pressurizing the grill to force air out the chimney on the left so not much hot air is going to the right. Cremated left side and under cooked right side. To my mind, maybe a Timberline 1300 was designed properly with the exhaust a long port all along the back side.
I had a Silverton 810 with a significant temp gradient, swapped it for a Timberline , never looked back...
Did the RemE Insulation project and now I have cooked in the High 30's and now in the 60's never an issue even in 30 MPH Winds.
I still have a 10 - 20 degree temp gradient depending on the Temp, but I just learned to live with it and the FB2 keeps all the cooks coming out great...
As to the exhaust "Keep Momma Happy" and turn the Exhaust away from the house....

Latest Discussions

Back