Sauce/Rub I'm sick of my Pork Rub

Slimpicker

⚒️ MODERATOR
Staff member
Media
Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575 Bronze► OKJoe's Longhorn Combo► WeberQ Gasser ►Weber kettle► UDS ► Inkbird Sous Vide
For way too many years now I have been using my version of BBQ rub on ribs and porkbutts, and pork steaks.
It's basically equal amounts of salt, Paprika, and brown sugar... like either 1/2 cup or 1 cup
then Tablespoons (2) of course black pepper, Gan. Onion, Gan. Garlic,
1 tblsp of cumin and chili pepper, and a couple other minor things.

I made Super Bowl Babybacks and that was the last time for me... I need a different taste.
Now for me, some of you guys go way too 'sweet' craycray for me, I'm not looking to make "rib candy", I just want a really good compliment to the fatty pork taste.
Some say just S&P and that's all you need...
I'm looking for something in between "just S&P" and the "way too many" ingredient I make.

Example, I've actually never tried "Rib Tickler" on Ribs... only Chicken. I wonder if it is really good on ribs?

For way too many years now I have been using my version of BBQ rub on ribs and porkbutts, and pork steaks.
It's basically equal amounts of salt, Paprika, and brown sugar... like either 1/2 cup or 1 cup
then Tablespoons (2) of course black pepper, Gan. Onion, Gan. Garlic,
1 tblsp of cumin and chili pepper, and a couple other minor things.

I made Super Bowl Babybacks and that was the last time for me... I need a different taste.
Now for me, some of you guys go way too 'sweet' craycray for me, I'm not looking to make "rib candy", I just want a really good compliment to the fatty pork taste.
Some say just S&P and that's all you need...
I'm looking for something in between "just S&P" and the "way too many" ingredient I make.

Example, I've actually never tried "Rib Tickler" on Ribs... only Chicken. I wonder if it is really good on ribs?
You need to try it on ribs! Really!

This is Meatheads Recipe, works well for me

Memphis Dust Rub

Makes about 3 cups
  • 3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup paprika
  • 1/4 cup garlic powder
  • 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons ground ginger powder
  • 2 tablespoons onion powder
  • 2 teaspoons rosemary powder
  • 3 teaspoon Chipotle chili powder (This is my addition)

I really enjoy Dizzy Pig's Dizzy Dust on ribs. Great rub.

1645017312117.png

This is the Dry Rib Rub I use.
Found it on the web,
1 tbsp. chili powder
3 tbsp. Smoked paprika
1-1/2 tbsp. Garlic powder
2 tbsp. Brown sugar
3 tbsp. Granulated maple
1/4 cup. Coarse black pepper
1/4 cup. Salt
2 tbsp. Dried lemon peel
1 tsp. Cayenne pepper
1 tbsp. Ground mustard
1 tsp. Ground ginger
1/4 tsp. Chipotle powder

For the salt I used 1/2 Kosher and 1/2 Lawry's seasoned salt.
Had a nice mix of flavors. I have been using it regularly this past while. I will make it again when I run out

This is the Dry Rib Rub I use.
Found it on the web,
1 tbsp. chili powder
3 tbsp. Smoked paprika
1-1/2 tbsp. Garlic powder
2 tbsp. Brown sugar
3 tbsp. Granulated maple
1/4 cup. Coarse black pepper
1/4 cup. Salt
2 tbsp. Dried lemon peel
1 tsp. Cayenne pepper
1 tbsp. Ground mustard
1 tsp. Ground ginger
1/4 tsp. Chipotle powder

For the salt I used 1/2 Kosher and 1/2 Lawry's seasoned salt.
Had a nice mix of flavors. I have been using it regularly this past while. I will make it again when I run out
Gotta find some of those somewhere.

Gotta find some of those somewhere.
We have a store called 'Bulk Barn' they sell pretty much every spice, flour, nuts, candy, anything one would need for baking in bulk. Convenient because we can buy just what we need and it is way cheaper than the packaged spices in the store

Atlantic Spice Comany is another great resource.

I haven't venture into creating my own rubs other that SPG. However, these came in today and will be my first time trying them. I am a person that leads on very spicy food except my kids aren't (yet).

Attachments

• IMG_20220216_150802463.jpg
    IMG_20220216_150802463.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
I haven't venture into creating my own rubs other that SPG. However, these came in today and will be my first time trying them. I people that leads on very spicy food except my kids aren't (yet)
I pretty much like all of the rubs from Meat Church. The only one I could take or leave would be Deez-Nutz. The rest of them I make sure I have spares in the cupboard.
Nothing wrong with your selection there. Those are all really good.

Back