Sauce/Rub I'm sick of my Pork Rub

Slimpicker

⚒️ MODERATOR
Staff member
Media
Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575 Bronze► OKJoe's Longhorn Combo► WeberQ Gasser ►Weber kettle► UDS ► Inkbird Sous Vide
For way too many years now I have been using my version of BBQ rub on ribs and porkbutts, and pork steaks.
It's basically equal amounts of salt, Paprika, and brown sugar... like either 1/2 cup or 1 cup
then Tablespoons (2) of course black pepper, Gan. Onion, Gan. Garlic,
1 tblsp of cumin and chili pepper, and a couple other minor things.

I made Super Bowl Babybacks and that was the last time for me... I need a different taste.
Now for me, some of you guys go way too 'sweet' craycray for me, I'm not looking to make "rib candy", I just want a really good compliment to the fatty pork taste.
Some say just S&P and that's all you need...
I'm looking for something in between "just S&P" and the "way too many" ingredient I make.

Example, I've actually never tried "Rib Tickler" on Ribs... only Chicken. I wonder if it is really good on ribs?

For way too many years now I have been using my version of BBQ rub on ribs and porkbutts, and pork steaks.
It's basically equal amounts of salt, Paprika, and brown sugar... like either 1/2 cup or 1 cup

I made Super Bowl Babybacks and that was the last time for me... I need a different taste.
Now for me, some of you guys go way too 'sweet' craycray for me, I'm not looking to make "rib candy", I just want a really good compliment to the fatty pork taste.
I'm looking for something in between "just S&P" and the "way too many" ingredient I make.

Example, I've actually never tried "Rib Tickler" on Ribs... only Chicken. I wonder if it is really good on ribs?
I like to layer these 3 on any BBQ meat.

Attachments

• Spice Rub Mix.jpg
    Spice Rub Mix.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 35
Lots of great commercial rubs out of the competition circuit. Might not be what you are looking for however, based on your comments. Wrap or no wrap? Dry or sauced?
Cant go wrong with Meat church, Kosmos, heath Riles (rib guru), Dizzy pig, Suckle busters, Malcolm Reeds , Bad Byron's. I could go on and on, but it's a very personal thing. If you looking for one that's fairly tame and allows the meat to shine through, I've always thought Lamberts sweet rub o mine is a good choice for that sorta profile. With the other rubs, it's very common to layer two or three different rubs on your ribs to give you a depth to your flavor profile. Got to be careful that they compliment and don't compete though. Good luck there Picker.

Have tried dozens of popular commercial rubs and my personal favorite is Texas BBQ Rub Original on ribs and pork butts. Order online at texasbbqrub.com. I am not affiliated with this company or the owner. Just a very satisfied customer.

Kosmos Q has amazing rubs and glazes
www.kosmosq.com
SPG is a favorite honestly I haven't had one off his products that I haven't enjoyed.

I am a huge fan of Bad Byron's Butt Rub for my pork butts. It's awesome.

Mix 3 parts Butt Rub to 1 part Turbinado Sugar and you have a great rub for chicken wings. Substitute Golden Monk fruit for the sugar and you have a nice Keto rub too.

Lots of greats out there. Kosmos as mentioned earlier, meat church, dizzy pig, Heath riles. suckle busters is a great lineup.

I would also offer that I almost always layer multiple rubs. For instance, Heath riles garlic jalapeño rub covered with Kosmos dirty bird or meat churches honey hog. It’s a great way to get depth and complexity.

I have a cabinet full of blends, rubs, herbs, and spices. Every protein or veggie you cook needs its own seasoning to bring out the best flavor.

For some things, I use a single seasoning. For others I use a combination of different seasonings or rubs. For others, I blend together individual spices and herbs. Part of the fun is trying to discover what works best for your tastes.

Used to use Traeger pork and poultry rub until I found this rub recipe which is basically the same thing. Might need to double or triple it. But everything should be pretty readily available in most kitchen cabinets. I like to kick it up a notch or two if the kids aren’t eating with us and add more spice.

4.5 tsp salt
4 tbspn brown sugar
2 tsp Onion powder
2 tsp Garlic powder
1 tbsp Paprika
1 tbsp black pepper
4 tsp Cumin
2 tbsp Chili powder
2 tsp Oregano

Good luck!!

One of the best rubs I have ever tried on both pork and lamb, is McCormick Roasted Garlic and Herb. Not sweet at all but amazingly savory. I use it on pork ribs, chops, roasts, lamb chops, racks, and whole legs. It is also pretty amazing on fish, believe it or not. Simple stuff that you can buy in a local market, but puts out amazing flavor. Ps. I also use it on corn slathered with mayo in a street corn presentation. Before you laugh at the suggestion, give it a try. Killer Rub, IMO.

This is a nicely flavored spicy rub
Chicken wings or just plain chicken is amazing with it. But we are using it on all different meats and vegetables

Take a peek at Kosmos Q
Has amazing rubs and glazes.
Also look into a Korean or Asian runs to change things up.
Www.kosmosq.com

House of Q House Rub. It's become a go-to ever since I slapped some St. Louis ribs together at the last minute a few years ago for a big party, and kept hearing raves about them for months afterwards. House of Q is out of Vancouver B.C., so not sure if it's available stateside. Pity if it's not.

Back