Fireboard probe failure

davwhite

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Traeger 575
I haven't read here about a probe failure but I have one. Plugged in one of my two probes yesterday and it read 755f, the other was 67f, switched them around and same result. Ice test on the faulty and it read 755 in the ice. 13 months old, never been dropped and always washed very carefully (not in water).
Has anyone else had a failure so early? Bit annoying when the warranty is only six months .
Should I replace them with the comp probe?

I haven't read here about a probe failure but I have one. Plugged in one of my two probes yesterday and it read 755f, the other was 67f, switched them around and same result. Ice test on the faulty and it read 755 in the ice. 13 months old, never been dropped and always washed very carefully (not in water).
Has anyone else had a failure so early? Bit annoying when the warranty is only six months .
Should I replace them with the comp probe?
I have had 3 go bad on me. One was replaced, the others weren't. The last two were outside of warranty. These were all competition probes. The last one only fails when the temperature went above 170°F. This one happened during my Chuck steak cook a couple weeks back.
I was reluctant to replace them, but I finally ordered another set. If these ones fail I will go back to the standard probes for it that I have

170f is a bit low to fail if you are cooking a brisket to say, 200f.

Maybe check out the thermoworks brand. They seem to be very durable and reliable. Although, nothing is exempt to the occasional issue. Have you guys contacted the company? Even though it’s out of warrant, if you did not damage them or clean them improperly, they should give you new probes. The warranty protects them from abuse of the product. That said, some companies are better than others. Good luck.

I emailed them saying the probe was only 13 months old, never dropped and washed carefully, waiting for a reply.

I emailed them saying the probe was only 13 months old, never dropped and washed carefully, waiting for a reply.
The other very common killer is Kinking the cables. The wires are quite delicate. Just be careful when taking them in and out of storage. I like to use Clorox wipes for cleaning in lieu of washing in the sink.

Maybe check out the thermoworks brand. They seem to be very durable and reliable. Although, nothing is exempt to the occasional issue. Have you guys contacted the company? Even though it’s out of warrant, if you did not damage them or clean them improperly, they should give you new probes. The warranty protects them from abuse of the product. That said, some companies are better than others. Good luck.
I did, and was asked when they were purchased. I had problems with them last year and they couldn't diagnose what was happening. They had me return my FB to them to test and found no problems. I got it back and had problems again. I determined after that it was a bad probe causing the issue

The other very common killer is Kinking the cables. The wires are quite delicate. Just be careful when taking them in and out of storage. I like to use Clorox wipes for cleaning in lieu of washing in the sink.
I do the same for washing. Storage is on the Thermoworks Silicone Probe Storage units. I am really careful to keep a loop on the plug end when starting the wrap so a kink doesn't happen.

Kinking is a problem, I am forever unkinking the lead before use. I will store these straight from now.

I just tossed a Fireboard ambient probe that was about a year old. It was all over the place re: temp. I think it was a kink that just got worse over time.

I never take it out of the grill and it's used a lot so I figure I got my $15 worth.

I just tossed a Fireboard ambient probe that was about a year old. It was all over the place re: temp. I think it was a kink that just got worse over time.

I never take it out of the grill and it's used a lot so I figure I got my $15 worth.
Got a reply back and Fireboard never offered a replacement so I ordered two Comp probes and a threaded ambient to be sent by USPS.

I do the same for washing. Storage is on the Thermoworks Silicone Probe Storage units. I am really careful to keep a loop on the plug end when starting the wrap so a kink doesn't happen.
Those silicone holders are the bomb. Magnetic as well so you can stick them on your cooker or beer fridge or whatever metal. Big fan. 👍🏻

Back