Costco

OldMayfield

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780
My wife just signed us up for a Costco membership.

It seems many of the posters on this forum buy meat from Costco.

What is the consensus about Costco meat? Beef vs Prok vs Chicken/Turkey vs Fish?

I have a pretty good local butcher and fish market, but I'm open to suggestions about buying at Costco, either regularly or via special deals.

I used to buy most meat from Costco. Then I found out that they use machanical tenderizers for the meat that they butcher like steaks. The fine print on their labels states it but how many read it? According to "experts" you are supposed to cook tenderized meat to near well done IT to avoid problems with bacteria contamination from the tenderizing. Nowadays, I just buy meat from Costco that's cryovac packaged by the processor like ribs and brisket and I stick with a local super market that has a good butcher deprtment. BTW, my local Costco's prices have jumped to where they aren't as economical as they once were.
Although I just picked up a prime packer at $4.99/ lb. That's one of their bargains but rib eyes and other steaks are quite expensive.

I have been purchasing pork loin chops from Costco for many years. The price is good and the quality is excellent. The chops are over 1" thick which allow them to be cooked low and slow in the Traeger. Pull them off at an internal temp of 145F. They will be dry if you overcook as pork loin is a lean cut.

I like to marinate the chops before cooking. I use Stubbs Citrus and Onion Chicken marinade, but they also make a marinade for pork. I just like the flavor of the chicken marinade better. Place the pork chops in a couple of gallon size Ziplock bags, add marinade and allow to soak anywhere from 1 hour to overnight. When you pull them out, season them with your favorite pork rub.

Sometimes I boil the excess marinade in a sauce pan and use it to baste the chops during cooking. Boiling insures any bacteria are killed.

With your Pro 780, you can cook a pack of the pork chops at one time. Freeze any in vacuum sealed bags that you cannot eat right away.

Back