Costco - Century 885

Oscar

Reaction score
Grill
Century 885
I’ve been in the market for a Traeger Grill for the last two years.

About to pull the trigger on the Pro 780, I was at Costco and came across the Century 885.

Impulsive purchase, later to come home and read not so good reviews on this model.

It hasn’t been delivered yet, but I think I’ll give it a go before cancelling or returning.

1) Does anyone have any experience with this model? Were you happy or unhappy?

2) When using a smoke tube, is your pellet grill on as well? Or do you solely use the smoker tube?

I have the C-885. Wasn't happy w/ lack of smoke. I use two tubes & pretty happy w/ results. Lighting/keeping them lit is a pain. Just picked up another MAAP/propane burner. Haven't yet tried it out other than to see if it works.
I believe every owner of a Traeger that doesn't have the "more smoke" option, wishes it had the option. The "warmer" box seems pretty useless, other than keeping stuff warm, while you change Temps. At least it keeps it out of the wind.
Still looking for a smoking jacket that'll fit it.

I recently bought my C885 and have been pleased!!! I agree with Mulligan I do wish I had the Super Smoke mode BUT for the 500-600 price difference I don’t know if it’s worth it. I’ve made a bunch of different meals…. Pork loin at 350, ribs at 225, reverse seared steaks, and whole chickens at 165 then 350. Everything was amazing I’m extremely pleased! I will say the smoke flavor isn’t as strong as my stick burner. And to sear my steaks I used my propane grill that gets to 650 but other than that the flavor and convenience is unmatched! I recently did some minor improvements to mine, I added some lava lock felt liners to the lid 1/8th thick horizontally and 1/16th thick vertically when lid is open. And I added the lava lock silicone gel to The washers for the handle and all around the smoke stack attachment points. This improved seal paired with my A-Maze pellet smoke system makes the camber way more Smokey than the ironwood 855 with the super smoke on. So if you want good smoke on the century you can get it. You just have to put a small amount of work into and enjoy saving $500!
AE0B7F8B-39BE-41C8-AA06-FF872DBB88AB.jpeg

I recently bought my C885 and have been pleased!!! I agree with Mulligan I do wish I had the Super Smoke mode BUT for the 500-600 price difference I don’t know if it’s worth it. I’ve made a bunch of different meals…. Pork loin at 350, ribs at 225, reverse seared steaks, and whole chickens at 165 then 350. Everything was amazing I’m extremely pleased! I will say the smoke flavor isn’t as strong as my stick burner. And to sear my steaks I used my propane grill that gets to 650 but other than that the flavor and convenience is unmatched! I recently did some minor improvements to mine, I added some lava lock felt liners to the lid 1/8th thick horizontally and 1/16th thick vertically when lid is open. And I added the lava lock silicone gel to The washers for the handle and all around the smoke stack attachment points. This improved seal paired with my A-Maze pellet smoke system makes the camber way more Smokey than the ironwood 855 with the super smoke on. So if you want good smoke on the century you can get it. You just have to put a small amount of work into and enjoy saving $500!View attachment 8811
Hi S, I’m a Traeger newbie and just bought the Century 885 from Costco. I’ve read the reviews saying people are dissatisfied with the amount of smoke the Century turns out. How do you integrate the A-Maze pellet smoker with the traeger when wanting a more heavily smoked outcome? I don’t want to overwhelm the meat but I do like a true pit smoker flavor. Any ideas and hints you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
I also will be doing your lava lock mods to the grill.
thanks ahead of time for the help.

Hi S, I’m a Traeger newbie and just bought the Century 885 from Costco. I’ve read the reviews saying people are dissatisfied with the amount of smoke the Century turns out. How do you integrate the A-Maze pellet smoker with the traeger when wanting a more heavily smoked outcome? I don’t want to overwhelm the meat but I do like a true pit smoker flavor. Any ideas and hints you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
I also will be doing your lava lock mods to the grill.
thanks ahead of time for the help.
Hi mundyman

No problem! Glad to help. Here is the link to the pallet smoke accessory I bought you can get anything similar to this and it would work just fine you basically fill it with pellets and with a propane torch light both ends let it burn for 10 minutes blow it out and you got great smoke for anywhere from 2 to 5 hours! However if you want to add some amazing smoke and have it last a lot longer I’m considering installing the “smokin-it” Cold smoke generator because it boasts a total smoke time up to 12 hours which would be great for an overnight brisket. In any case I think the Traeger is only worth it if you add additional smoke elements to it happy hunting!

A-MAZE-N AMNPS Maze Pellet Smoker, Hot or Cold Smoking, 5 x 8 Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ROPJ1M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Z2QJ1BD3BTTXBKZAWV91

I am new to pellet grills too. Been using an offset for over 40 years. Getting old and lazy now and don't have the patience to tend a fire all night. Wife gifted me a Centrury 885 for my birthday in March. It's a learning curve but I like it. I do have an issue with the temp control as mine actually shows about 30 degrees higher than the actual temp. I also don't use the onboard meat probe. It is notoriously inaccurate.
I've added lava lock felt to the door and installed a front shelf.
I also have a 12" and a 6" smoke tube and get all the smoke needed.
I live in College Station, Texas and have no problem with cold weather so the double insulation or insulation blanket is not needed.
I agree that the warming chamber is really not needed. I never use it except to store grill brushes etc.
I've been very happy with the grill. Is it as good as some of the higher priced models? No. But it is plenty good for this old codger who cooks a lot in his backyard.
I've cooked 6 pork butts at the same time and had great results.

Last edited:
Hi mundyman

No problem! Glad to help. Here is the link to the pallet smoke accessory I bought you can get anything similar to this and it would work just fine you basically fill it with pellets and with a propane torch light both ends let it burn for 10 minutes blow it out and you got great smoke for anywhere from 2 to 5 hours! However if you want to add some amazing smoke and have it last a lot longer I’m considering installing the “smokin-it” Cold smoke generator because it boasts a total smoke time up to 12 hours which would be great for an overnight brisket. In any case I think the Traeger is only worth it if you add additional smoke elements to it happy hunting!

A-MAZE-N AMNPS Maze Pellet Smoker, Hot or Cold Smoking, 5 x 8 Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ROPJ1M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Z2QJ1BD3BTTXBKZAWV91
Hi S,
Thanks for the reply. I guess what I'm looking for is when you're cooking how do you use the smoker. I've ordered the A-Maze smoke box but then at what temperature on the traeger and for how long do you use the smoke box. Do you start with a lower temp to get a better smoke flavor before raising the temp to finish cooking, or do you use the regular temperature to cook andjust leave the smoke box in there the whole time?

I personally leave my smoke tube in the whole time and cook at normal temp. I have two and will sometimes load the second one and put it in when the first starts to finish up.

Here is a whole discussion about smoke tubes.... https://www.traegerforum.com/threads/smoke-tubes.2593/page-3#post-35166

Basically, if you want the traditional (BBQ joint) smoke flavor on your meat, you'll want to use a smoke tube filled with about 80% WOOD CHIPS and 20% wood pellets. Pack it down well as you fill it and it will stay lit for 3-4 hours. I've read that meat will only take about 3.5 hours of smoke, so let it smoke the whole time.

Some of us are also experimenting with charcoal pellets instead of wood pellets. It's an ongoing discussion.

I've recently noticed that putting the lit end of the smoke tube towards the back of my Ironwood seems to make a difference in terms of it staying lit. I tried it facing the front and it was hard to keep it lit. More air moving in the back?

Bottom line is that the smoke from burning wood pellets (compressed sawdust) doesn't taste like the smoke from actual burning wood (wood chips). So, the smoke tube adds the traditional smoke you might be after.

Good Smokin'

Attachments

• smoke tube with wood chips.jpg
    smoke tube with wood chips.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Back