Comparison, What to Buy?

Jtalberda

Reaction score
Grill
TBD
Hi All,

I am new to this forum and am looking to purchase a Traeger. After doing some research and looking around quite a bit I still feel clueless! I live in Michigan where temps get down into single digits relatively often and I try to smoke/grill at least 2-3 times per week. Amy suggestions on what model to get and why?

Thank you!

Jordan

Yo Jordan,

Central Wisconsin here. I think we have similar weather. I grill all year around including below zero temps. Ironwood 650 works fine for me!

Ironwood or timberline is my 2 cents..
the size depend on how many people you will have to feed at one time.
I have not seen any comments where someone was sorry that they bought the big one…..

What’s the benefits of the timberline over the ironwood? I am definitely going to go either the ironwood 885 or the timberline 850 (or whatever the sizes are close to those)

I have a 780 and for my family of 4 I love it. It is large enough to still do a couple briskets, or several racks of ribs, pork butts, etc. It also has the wifi capabilities. I would definitely make sure to get one with that. it might not seem like a big deal but being able to adjust temps, shut it down, etc. from your phone is definitely nice to have. The probes on any model are not the most accurate but still worth having the wifi control.

The main benefit of the Timberline is the insulated lid. You will save pellets. The Ironwood cooks fine in the winter. On very cold days I cover the top of the lid with a Canvas jacket making sure not to obstruct the rear vent. That jacket absorbs a wonderful smoked smell which reminds me of the cook when I am shoveling snow. One could use a welding blanket, etc.

What’s the benefits of the timberline over the ironwood? I am definitely going to go either the ironwood 885 or the timberline 850 (or whatever the sizes are close to those)
Attached is what they show on traeger.ca for differences, some of which aren't really important. I went with the Timberline 1300 for a few reasons:
1. concealed grease pan (my dog would have preferred the external bucket)
2. double-walled stainless (better heat capture and a bit easier to clean)
3. 1300 square inches in case I need it. My last couple of smokers left me in the lurch a couple of times when I couldn't fit everything I wanted in them

The biggest "con" I have with the Timberline is the pitifully small front shelf. You can get an add-on shelf with the Ironwood, but not with the Timberline.

Either way, you are getting an amazing grill. Whatever you go with, enjoy the journey!

Attachments

• IWvsTL.png
    IWvsTL.png
    73.5 KB · Views: 26
If you have the resources go with the Ironwood or Timberline, maybe even investigate the Yoder’s. If not the Pro 575 and 780 are good grills. I love my Pro 780.

Newest addition to the pellet family, Smokehouse. Looking forward to trying these pellets out. Still have a bucketful of Pit Boss hickory to finish. Going thru motion.

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and am looking to purchase a Traeger. After doing some research and looking around quite a bit I still feel clueless! I live in Michigan where temps get down into single digits relatively often and I try to smoke/grill at least 2-3 times per week. Amy suggestions on what model to get and why?

Thank you!

Jordan
See the RemE insulation project for timberline, I did it on my 1300 and have been very happy with the results…

I bought the IW885. Looked at the Timberline but did not like the grease management system. Reminded me of a Weber SmokeFire I returned. I live just north of the twin Cities and have had no weather issues.

I bought the IW885. Looked at the Timberline but did not like the grease management system. Reminded me of a Weber SmokeFire I returned. I live just north of the twin Cities and have had no weather issues.
Before I bought my C885 I was looking at the Weber Smokehouse. I read there was a lot of issues with their first edition and supposedly made some corrections. But still it made me decide on the T grill. The T grill and W grills were the only ones I looked at before deciding to buy.

Hi All,

Thank you!

Jordan
I sent you a conversation

I’ve smoked many times this last winter during the cold snap here in VA that was in the teens low twenties on my Timberline 1300. Performed like a champ no issues.

Attached is what they show on traeger.ca for differences, some of which aren't really important. I went with the Timberline 1300 for a few reasons:
1. concealed grease pan (my dog would have preferred the external bucket)
2. double-walled stainless (better heat capture and a bit easier to clean)
3. 1300 square inches in case I need it. My last couple of smokers left me in the lurch a couple of times when I couldn't fit everything I wanted in them

The biggest "con" I have with the Timberline is the pitifully small front shelf. You can get an add-on shelf with the Ironwood, but not with the Timberline.

Either way, you are getting an amazing grill. Whatever you go with, enjoy the journey!
I have a Timberline, and I did the ‘COVID Project’ mods (described in detail elsewhere in this Forum) to add insulation, and the fold up wood shelf. Both pretty easy (because all the great instructions) and not that expensive. Really make the temps more stable, and the grill more functional.
Ya, ya,…. I get it. $2,000 grill you should not have to spend more, etc, etc. So I suppose when you bought your first set of golf clubs (snow mobile, camping tent, table saw, whatever) that was the last dollar you spent on that hobby? (Oh, and get a Thermapen so you know the real food temp). It’s a great cooking machine, a lot of fun. Enjoy!

Back