Comparison, What to Buy?

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and am looking to purchase a Traeger. After doing some research and looking around quite a bit I still feel clueless! I live in Michigan where temps get down into single digits relatively often and I try to smoke/grill at least 2-3 times per week. Amy suggestions on what model to get and why?

Thank you!

Jordan
I have the TL 850 and live in the NC mountains with a short “winter.” Never had an issue with it and I really like the grease management system and the enclosed grease trap. Only issues I have are with keeping it connected but every one else has the same issue if you buy a Traeger.

Ironwood or timberline is my 2 cents..
the size depend on how many people you will have to feed at one time.
I have not seen any comments where someone was sorry that they bought the big one…..
I purchased the smaller Timberline and wished I had purchased the bigger unit. Not that I need the larger unit that often hut when you do you do.

I have a 780 and for my family of 4 I love it. It is large enough to still do a couple briskets, or several racks of ribs, pork butts, etc. It also has the wifi capabilities. I would definitely make sure to get one with that. it might not seem like a big deal but being able to adjust temps, shut it down, etc. from your phone is definitely nice to have. The probes on any model are not the most accurate but still worth having the wifi control.
I just got mine a few weeks ago and have yet to cook a brisket. Did you follow one of the recipes in the Traeger app or use your own. Did you get a nice smoke ring when it was done?

I just got mine a few weeks ago and have yet to cook a brisket. Did you follow one of the recipes in the Traeger app or use your own. Did you get a nice smoke ring when it was done?
There are tons of brisket recipes out there, but I've done the Matt Meat Church variations, starting overnight. The Traeger recipes need to be taken with a grain (often a shaker) of salt as the times they show are often as off as their temperature probes :). The biggest thing with a brisket is patience - you'll really want to crank up the heat when it hits the stall temp, but you must resist :)....it will pay of in the "burnt" ends!!!

Enjoy!

I also did the timberline mods insulation. This lowered my Pellet burn rate, and keeps the Traeger safe for kids that like to touch grills…
I bought a MK4 and a FB2…

Back