Cleaning grates

Hhhmmm. I actually scrape the grate (standing in the grass off my patio) with a Weber wire grill brush and diluted Pine-Sol, then wipe with a damp cloth, rinse from the hose and return. No one else seems to use the wire brush, in fact, no one seems to use anything harsher than the Traeger wooden scape. Am I off base with the wire brush?

Timberline 850. Stainless steel grill grates. I scrape off the bits on the grill grates. Then I put the grates in the bottom rack of the dishwasher. Come out clean as a whistle.

Last edited:
Hhhmmm. I actually scrape the grate (standing in the grass off my patio) with a Weber wire grill brush and diluted Pine-Sol, then wipe with a damp cloth, rinse from the hose and return. No one else seems to use the wire brush, in fact, no one seems to use anything harsher than the Traeger wooden scape. Am I off base with the wire brush?
I use a wire brush, before i change the foil on my drip tray, then a quick vacuum. Then start cookin!

Ditto on the Dawn Powerwash. Readily available and inexpensive. Works great..............

Timberline 850. Stainless steel grill grates. I scrape off the bits on the grill grates. Then I put the grates in the bottom rack of the dishwasher. Come out clean as a whistle.
I have to try this, if the stainless grates are cleaned after each cook, they might stay pristine this way.

Right now I have been deep cleaning after several cooks by soaking in the shallow tray, but it takes elbow grease to remove carbon between the bars in places.

Back