Cleaning grates

Can probably find something like that in the masonry section at Lowes or HD.

Screenshot_2021-01-09 Shelves, LLC Large Mixing Tub The Home Depot Canada.png

got this at home depot in canada 36 x24 x 8 for $14.92 for you guys in the usa it should be quite a bit cheaper...so you nailed it

DVSCYCLES and thank you.​

I cook on a cooling rack set on the grill grate. I get some drippings on the grate, but nothing heavy. I wash the cooling rack and occasionally the grill grate in the dishwasher.

I use Powder Brewers Wash (PBW). Food safe alkaline cleaner used to clean commercial and home brewing equipment. You can get it by the pound on amazon for $7 something. Mix it with water for heavy duty clean. Works very well, and without scrubbing my grates come out almost like new (just a few stubborn spots). I use an old plastic storage bin as a tub and soak my grates over night. The next day I just pull them out and hose them off with a jet stream, and maybe hit a couple of spots with a grill brush. Clean as a whistle with minimal effort. Learned this method on the Kamado Guru forum to clean the grates on my BGE.Don't know about you guys, but if I dragged BBQ grates into the kitchen sink, the authorities would never find my body, if you get my drift.

I use Dawn Powerwash. Spray it on, leave for about 10-15 minutes, use a scrub brush and rinse. Simple.

I am new to Traeger but plan on doing same as I always do on my BGE. Oil up grates well before cooking and wipe after cooking with balled up aluminum foil. Zero sticky issues doing this.

Not doing very well locating this item....do you have a link?
As long as the grill grates are not cast iron I believe you can place them in your self cleaning oven. I personally have not tried it but I know others have.

I have a T1300, my oven is to small to hold the Grills, thus the bucket...

I had a barbecue with cast iron grates. I cleaned the grates once and got down to the rust. Never did it again. Would not want to remove the seasoning. Think cast iron fry pans. Seasoned grates stick less than clean ones. I scrape my grates when I cook and if I forget so what. I have to admit that I power wash my grates once a year in very warm weather because it is messy. My friend has a cottage up north and cooks over an open fire. His grate is welded mild steel. He just brushes them before he cooks, maybe a little oil in the spring time when the grates have been out all winter over the fire pit. I have never tasted better ribs.

I found this at Tractor Supply. Holds my Ironwood 885 grill nicely, and seems to be a little less $ than some of the others mentioned. I soak it it in Dawn dishwashing liquid and water for 2-3 hours then use a nylon brush to get off the tough spots. Then hose down and let air dry.

I may try the PBW method mentioned by @Keeperovdeflame in post #21.

I found this at Tractor Supply. Holds my Ironwood 885 grill nicely, and seems to be a little less $ than some of the others mentioned. I soak it it in Dawn dishwashing liquid and water for 2-3 hours then use a nylon brush to get off the tough spots. Then hose down and let air dry.

I may try the PBW method mentioned by @Keeperovdeflame in post #21.
Look like this is available at my local Tractor Supply, I'll have to stop by and pick one up.
Thanks @dflaher !

Just use easy off oven cleaner and let it sit and hose them off. Been doing this for over 10 years

We have an Ironwood 650 and the grate fits inside our dishwasher. It is a tight fit and you have to position it just right.
The dishwasher does a very good job.

Back