Brisket help

The purpose of wrapping is to beat the stall, by sealing the meat in paper or foil after you've reached 160ish IT you retain moisture that steams within the wrap powering you through the stall.
If you're unsure of grill temp you can always wrap and move it to the oven.
not for me it ain't... I wait till I have my best BARK before paper goes on... then the purpose of wrapping is to trap it's juices the last few hours....

So as you see, just like Dr. Fauci, there is no real true science, it's just personal preference

If you become one with the brisket, it will tell you when it’s ready to be wrapped…..

Not really, I wrap it when I get up in the morning, usually around 155 to 170. I usually get out of bed at the tail end of the stall.

So ya , personal preference.

not for me it ain't... I wait till I have my best BARK before paper goes on... then the purpose of wrapping is to trap it's juices the last few hours....

So as you see, just like Dr. Fauci, there is no real true science, it's just personal preference
This is spot on! First you shouldn’t have to wrap your brisket because it didn’t work, then everyone had to wrap the brisket…there is no other way, and now…wrap it or not, it’s your brisket and you can pretty much do what you want!

After the no wrap on the pork butt I did a couple weeks ago, I’m seriously contemplating NOT wrapping the brisket on this weekends cook.

P.S. The no wrap butt was one of the best I’ve ever cooked.

After the no wrap on the pork butt I did a couple weeks ago, I’m seriously contemplating NOT wrapping the brisket on this weekends cook.

That’s the way I started out cooking briskets. I had never even heard of it.
I think the flat may be a little more juicy when I wrap, but that could have been just the difference between briskets.

Not wrapping is just less of a hassle for me, and if the IT is close to 170 ( usually the tail end of the stall) when the bark looks ok, I don’t wrap.

On an overnight brisket, the bark is usually fine when I get up in the morning (especially if I start at 5 or 6 pm the evening before), if I want it done early, I’ll usually wrap, just to get it done and in the cooler. If I’m not in any hurry, I don’t wrap.

Either way works for me, and I agree, there is no right or wrong way.

Well, as you already know I've never wrapped a butt until it comes off... so I'm glad you found that out.

Well, as you already know I've never wrapped a butt until it comes off... so I'm glad you found that out.
I’m gonna have to try that…
Wondering if that would work on brisket also?

foil for the butt... but why wouldn't it work for a brisket but I'd use paper...

Best butt I EVER had!😁

Im might try it on brisket but I’m going back and forth.

Best butt I EVER had!😁

Im might try it on brisket but I’m going back and forth.
I think I’m gonna cook my next one unwrapped, then wrap in paper slathered with tallow, and rest for about 3 hours.
The tallow might soften the bark, but the trade off In flavor and juiciness would be worth it.

From what I’ve read my brisket has stalled at 155 . I let it continue to cook for about an hour than took out wrapped in butcher paper and still at 155. Any tips to get it going
I just had my most successful (4th try?) brisket yet. Try an “instant read” thermometer. (Mine stalled too) I found temp read a few degrees higher than the probe said. Got to 160, wrapped in foil with two cups of broth and went back in at 225 with smoke. Took a while but started rising again. Total cook time was longer than expected but when it got to 203 I poured off the broth and dropped the wrapped brisket in a styrofoam cooler for an hour. Would have waited longer but we were hungry and about three hours late. It was so good. Leftovers last night, probably for lunch today and a couple of pounds sliced in the freezer. Good times.

Actually, the stall is ALL about science. Just like Fauci. 😁

My last brisket stalled for four hours. It’s a crapshoot, IMO.

Slimpicker said it right, you just have to wait. And don't peek, "if you're lookin', you're not cookin'"

Back