Beef Prices

I concur. costco prime rib eye $26/lb
That's the kind of price we have been seeing for over a year. Can't afford to buy beef, chicken or pork unless it's on sale.
We guise our increase in pricing a little different. No hack, COVID related....
It's going to be an expensive summer north and south of the border
"Meat prices climb as Canadians fire up the summer BBQ season" https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6062819

It's all BULL:poop:

BULL:poop: is BULL:poop: and that's BULL:poop:

So, what do I really think about it????

I agree that brisket prices are absurd, and meat in general, but on a per meal basis, brisket is still pretty inexpensive. My wife and I can usually get 8-10 meals out of a 15 pounder. 8 bucks a meal isn’t to shabby…👍

I was hoping to find a thread about this, I really want to bitch about it too.

In Seattle, Costco prime brisket was $5.49 a pound (I got a 17.54 pounds for $96.29!). Two or three months ago, it was about half as much.
A beef tenderloin was $150 bucks! -- I got sticker shock and in addition to the brisket I bought chicken thighs instead of beef (the thighs were expensive for them, 26 bucks for a costco six pack).

Tempted to go to the local cash and carry, buy a bag of their sub-par cheap meat and see if dry aging it makes it worth it.
I've seen the same ugly price increases in Seattle. Will be curious to see how your dry aging goes if you test that.

On a separate note,... should we or should we not fill our car gas tanks when the station is receiving a fuel delivery?!

Agreed prices are high, but I check my local BBQ joint. They sell 1lb of brisket for $22 bucks. And pulled pork for $18 a lb. So in reality it’s still cheaper than ordering out.

I always have not worried about it. If there is any issue, they won't let you.
Agree, they won't let you if any issues for sure. Since Thorasta said he delivered gas for a living, I was just wondering about the urban legend rumors about silt getting stirred up and into your car when the station refill their tanks. Seems our cars and the gas stations should have enough filters though, right?

Agree, they won't let you if any issues for sure. Since Thorasta said he delivered gas for a living, I was just wondering about the urban legend rumors about silt getting stirred up and into your car when the station refill their tanks. Seems our cars and the gas stations should have enough filters though, right?
They have filters, cars have filters, no issue.

I've seen the same ugly price increases in Seattle. Will be curious to see how your dry aging goes if you test that.

On a separate note,... should we or should we not fill our car gas tanks when the station is receiving a fuel delivery?!
Fill it. It goes through 3-4 filters before it hits your car. In addition, a place like costco that goes through 2-4 trucks worth of gas a day would never have a chance to build sediment.

Fill it. It goes through 3-4 filters before it hits your car. In addition, a place like costco that goes through 2-4 trucks worth of gas a day would never have a chance to build sediment.
Perfect, I'll never worry about that again!
I knew it was a lot but, would not have imagined they go through so many trucks in a day.

My local grocery (King Soopers) was starting to carry some briskets, tri tips and other cuts but I noticed this afternoon the meat section was pretty empty and what they did have didn't look the best (it was Choice, though). It was a pretty quick walk-by so I really didn't look at the price.

My wife is leaving town on Friday so I am going to cook some lamb when she's gone (let's say she's not a fan). I wonder if the lamb price has gone up? Of course, it will be a small piece for just me so cost will be relative, I guess. Now to find a good recipe...

Brisket is $7.99/lb for choice at Costco here. Aldi's had a one day sale @$4.99/lb with portions averaging 3 lbs. I picked up a couple. Some of the prices you guys are posting haven't been seen here in ages.

Back