Beef Prices

GrillMeister

⚒️ Moderator
Staff member
Media
Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885, Century 22, BGEx2, GMG Davey Crockett
I've noticed a big uptick in beef prices at Costco recently. Stupid CHOICE NY strips selling for $13/lb. Anyone else seeing the spike?

Fortunately HEB in Texas has it own local beef suppliers and processing. I figured I tuck away a few of these Wagyu London Broils at $7.99/lb for later. I tell ya, reverse seared, they are more tender and flavorful than any Choice NY Strip, especially at almost twice the price. This kind of marbling is unheard of on regular London Broil cuts.

1623037208814.png

4.49 lb for choice brisket here.

4.49 lb for choice brisket here.
4.79 for prime brisket here. Choice 4.48
And yes, it’s more expensive than it was just a month ago

4.79 for prime brisket here. Choice 4.48
And yes, it’s more expensive than it was just a month ago
I was getting choice brisket for 2.98 lb last month.
Unreal. I hope it doesn’t last long.

I was getting choice brisket for 2.98 lb last month.
Unreal. I hope it doesn’t last long.
It’s only just beginning! The guy in the White House is driving gas prices sky high, so shipping is way up. Also, the government is giving away free money as fast as they can, and that causes inflation, because supply can’t keep up with the new demand.
I’m afraid it’s gonna get much worse...

It’s only just beginning! The guy in the White House is driving gas prices sky high, so shipping is way up. Also, the government is giving away free money as fast as they can, and that causes inflation, because supply can’t keep up with the new demand.
I’m afraid it’s gonna get much worse...
Ya, I agree, one can hope it doesn’t but like you said, worse before better.

I was hoping to find a thread about this, I really want to bitch about it too.

In Seattle, Costco prime brisket was $5.49 a pound (I got a 17.54 pounds for $96.29!). Two or three months ago, it was about half as much.
A beef tenderloin was $150 bucks! -- I got sticker shock and in addition to the brisket I bought chicken thighs instead of beef (the thighs were expensive for them, 26 bucks for a costco six pack).

Tempted to go to the local cash and carry, buy a bag of their sub-par cheap meat and see if dry aging it makes it worth it.

P.S. you can lay blame for fuel prices squarely on the fuel industry itself. I deliver gas for a living, and all the old guys decided to use covid as a convenient time to retire when trucking companies needed to let drivers go with the reduced demand. Now that demand has resumed, the industry is desperate for drivers and gas stations are literally running out as a result. This drives prices up. If you live on the east coast, there is an additional level of stuff going on as people are/were hoarding with the pipeline hack issues.

I really want to buy a brisket and give it a shot, but being I’ve never done one dropping $100+ on a piece of meat I could mess up is a bit of a deterrent

I really want to buy a brisket and give it a shot, but being I’ve never done one dropping $100+ on a piece of meat I could mess up is a bit of a deterrent
It’s 4.80 a pound at Sam’s for prime, and their average prime packer brisket is around 15 pounds. That’s quite a bit less than 100 bucks. If you use the overnight method and a accurate pit and meat probe, you should be fine.
Think I’m gonna pick up 2 or 3 prime 15 pounders, before it gets worse. My wife wants me to cook 2 in July for a memorial service that got delayed because of the pandemic.

I'm about 30 minutes or so from the closest Costco or Sam's, but I have some friends who have memberships. I'm thinking of going with one of them sometime soon and giving it a shot with some Bear Mountain Hickory pellets. I've been thinking I'd go with Matt Pittman's weekday brisket method. Seems to be the best bet for me not to screw it up.

I've been thinking I'd go with Matt Pittman's weekday brisket method. Seems to be the best bet for me not to screw it up.
I think that method is definitely one of the easiest.

Back