Your Month in Review

ThorPan

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
Hi,

So, the "Your Month in Review" email is interesting, but I REALLY don't want Traeger tracking when I cook, how long I cook, or what temperature I cooked at. WTF is wrong with a company doing that?? How can I turn this invasion of my privacy off?? I don't want to just stop the emails, I want to stop Traeger from having this information!!

Thanks,

ThorPan

Disconnect your grill from the internet, and delete the app. That’s the only way I know...When you installed the app, and connected your grill, I’m assuming you clicked ok, when the app asked for permission..

There is no opt out, or any menu options to turn this off.
They have been collecting data from the grills the day they went live on WireFire. They took away the option to add custom cooks from the app because they said their telemetry indicated it was under utilized. I am okay with them monitoring my cooks, the information is pretty generic, time and temperature. If it starts requiring you to input food information, then you know they will be using that data to sell your info to advertisers to push ads to you.
The only way to stop it would be to block internet outgoing connections for the grill IP in your router or disconnect the grill from your WiFi network.
I haven't tried these, but.....
fposter,small,wall_texture,product,750x1000.jpg
All kidding aside, they should give the option to opt out. This feature of a month in review is new this year. Who knows what else is in store

There is no opt out, or any menu options to turn this off.
They have been collecting data from the grills the day they went live on WireFire. They took away the option to add custom cooks from the app because they said their telemetry indicated it was under utilized. I am okay with them monitoring my cooks, the information is pretty generic, time and temperature. If it starts requiring you to input food information, then you know they will be using that data to sell your info to advertisers to push ads to you.
The only way to stop it would be to block internet outgoing connections for the grill IP in your router or disconnect the grill from your WiFi network.
I haven't tried these, but.....
View attachment 5814
All kidding aside, they should give the option to opt out. This feature of a month in review is new this year. Who knows what else is in store
Hi Rusty,

Thanks for your courteous reply. Apparently I'm not the only Traeger owner who would prefer they not track this information. I've heard about the "custom cooks" option, but have never seen it, so I assume it disappeared before I purchased a Traeger. I did contact Traeger about using such an option shortly after purchasing our grill, but they said it didn't exist, although I could submit a recipe for possible inclusion in their recipe catalog. All I wanted was to automate some of the things I do with the grill.

From the way it sounds, Traeger doesn't listen to their customers very well. Having a custom cook feature would definitely be a great thing to have in the app. It would probably more popular than most of their current recipes, especially if it could record and save your cooks, including timers, etc. Now that would be useful!!

All I wanted was to automate some of the things I do with the grill.

That hasn't proven to be a wise thing on Traegers, they need a bit more babysitting and temp monitoring than just letting the APP cycle thru a cook. Your cook would probably be a disaster leaving you to believe it's the APPs fault when the Traeger meat Probe and RTD probe are never accurate enough to trust alone.

Most of us never opened our meat probes they are so bad, and the RTD probe should be assisted with a 3rd party Ambient pit probe because they can be up to 20° off up or down... meaning you cook is not what you thought it was.

Personally, I wouldn’t want to use a Traeger “custom cook”. There are so many variables that I’d rather be the pilot.

Some of cooking is IT, some is feel, and some is just intuition. And it’s all interactive and being involved (at least in my opinion).

I am also a home brewer and I got so caught up in trying to automate my process that it became less fun and I found myself brewing less and less. I’m going back to “the old way”.

But there’s no right way or wrong way to cook as long as you (or more importantly your wife) like the final outcome!

And re the app tracking…I really don’t care too much. It’s not like they can get any personal info by time and temp.

That hasn't proven to be a wise thing on Traegers, they need a bit more babysitting and temp monitoring than just letting the APP cycle thru a cook. Your cook would probably be a disaster leaving you to believe it's the APPs fault when the Traeger meat Probe and RTD probe are never accurate enough to trust alone.

Most of us never opened our meat probes they are so bad, and the RTD probe should be assisted with a 3rd party Ambient pit probe because they can be up to 20° off up or down... meaning you cook is not what you thought it was.
Surprisingly, my RTD and meat probe both run extremely accurate when compared against another electronic probe. The meat probe is just a good start since I and my TermaPen MK4 make the final decision on when it's to our liking. If only I could get a brisket flat to come out great. And the RTD being off by 20 degrees probably isn't as bad as you'd think since the temp inside the grill varies more than that depending on where the meat is placed on the grate, but like you, I prefer to have a cook run as close to my set temp as possible.

BTW, having my Traeger 575 in direct sunlight has a definite affect on the grill temperature. Since it's black, it absorbs the heat and affects the inside temp especially at lower cook temp settings. Who would have guessed!

Personally, I wouldn’t want to use a Traeger “custom cook”. There are so many variables that I’d rather be the pilot.

Some of cooking is IT, some is feel, and some is just intuition. And it’s all interactive and being involved (at least in my opinion).

I am also a home brewer and I got so caught up in trying to automate my process that it became less fun and I found myself brewing less and less. I’m going back to “the old way”.

But there’s no right way or wrong way to cook as long as you (or more importantly your wife) like the final outcome!

And re the app tracking…I really don’t care too much. It’s not like they can get any personal info by time and temp.
I probably wouldn't use the "custom cook" either, but if it were extremely customizable, I'd probably give it a try for my ribs since I consistently cook them exactly the same way each time (more or less). I always seem to fiddle with the temp settings probably more than necessary depending on the weather. Fortunately, once my grill has stabilized the internal temp, it usually holds it within 5 degrees either way. A definite surprise it could do that so well.

Traeger already has my personal information since I registered my grill and also created a Traeger account in order to use their app. It just makes me feel that Big Brother is watching me just a bit too much. I'm sure this winter Traeger will be wondering what that crazy b*st*rd is doing cooking when it's only zero degrees outside. LOL!!

especially if it could record and save your cooks, including timers, etc. Now that would be useful!!
Many of us here use FireBoard. It comes with 6 probe ports, let’s you record all the details of your cook with a graph, and you can also share your cooks in real time with their web app. It’s really handy to be able to look back and see how you cooked that perfect brisket packer. Or for that matter to follow along with someone else’s cook in real time, that they have shared here.

Last edited:
I'm sure this winter Traeger will be wondering what that crazy b*st*rd is doing cooking when it's only zero degrees outside. LOL!!
Just know, you won’t be alone…….😲

I’ll probably be right out there too! 😁

I wanna say the lowest it got for me was 9 degrees!
I did one at 2 degrees. I probably won’t go lower than that…… but ya never know!

Many of us here use FireBoard. It comes with 6 probe ports, let’s you record all the details of your cook with a graph, and you can also share your cooks in real time with their web app. It’s really handy to be able to look back and see how you cooked that perfect brisket packer. Or for that matter to follow along with someone else’s cook in real time, that they have shared here.
I personally go old style and actually take notes on most of my cooks until I find what works best. So far, it's worked out pretty good.

Back