Yet another smoke(less) issue

Atos

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Traeger 572sq in
With my 572 Sq In Traeger, I notice MORE smoke when temp is rising(but still low) than while I'm at high temp dropping back down. If I'm at a high temp and need more smoke, I turn down the temp... it is damn hard to consistently get smoke when temps finally drop & hit that lower mark. It might take a half hour or more to get that smoke while watching the temps fall. The hotter it gets, there's hardly any smoke. Makes me wonder if I need to cook everything at a low heat if I want smoke.
Saw someone posted about less harsh blueish smoke, that prompts me to wonder if my food IS smoking even though I might not see anything that looks like smoke. Sadly enough, sometimes I just use my Weber and smoker chunks if I need more smoke.
I got the smoker as a present, and it means a lot so I'll never give it up. I guess I always thought that a pellet grill was the answer to all of my wood-smokey flavored recipes.

Generally speaking you'll get less smoke at the higher temps. I try to keep most of my cooks at 225, but at the higher temps, I'll use my LIZZQ smoke tube to supplement the smoke at the higher temps. The tube will last 4-6 hours depending on temps and it's an inexpensive way to get the additional smoke flavor. As you noted, the Traeger's don't produce smoke like a stick setup, but if the smoke rings do come in nicely for me, at least at the lower temps, even without the smoke tube.

Good luck!

Generally speaking you'll get less smoke at the higher temps. I try to keep most of my cooks at 225, but at the higher temps, I'll use my LIZZQ smoke tube to supplement the smoke at the higher temps. The tube will last 4-6 hours depending on temps and it's an inexpensive way to get the additional smoke flavor. As you noted, the Traeger's don't produce smoke like a stick setup, but if the smoke rings do come in nicely for me, at least at the lower temps, even without the smoke tube.

Good luck!
Thanks for your advice!
I also bought a smoke tube, maybe I need more experience, but the few times I used it, it went out each time. I'll agree that high temps = less or no smoke, but do you think there is some invisible smoke circulating inside at the high temps that maybe I'm just not appreciating the flavor it might be imposing?
What's a smoke ring?

Yes - we don't get the voluminous amount of visible smoke that you would on a charcoal grill. If you aren't getting the smoke ring at reasonable temps/times, then that may mean something else is going on.

sr.jpg

Back