Won't hold low temps - not even close

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have owned a 575 Pro for three months and it has never worked correctly. I've already had to change the control board out one time and I've had 3-4 long phone sessions with their support team (who are all nice and helpful) At present the unit will not maintain anywhere near the 180 degree temp. It ignites then quickly gets to 218-220 and hovers around there. Temp here is 84, there is almost no wind, I am using new Traeger pellets, etc. etc. I've tried to get the low temp set several times. I even turned down the temp to the lowest setting - 165 degrees and it still hovers around 210 - 212. I understand it is not designed to hold precisely 180, but it should bet within a few degrees in this weather. Certainly holding 36-40 degrees above the recommended temp is not acceptable. I can document all this with time stamped photos of the app.

Today after it was holding at 220 for 45 minutes I tried opening the door to let it reduce the temp, which it did, but it quickly ran back up to 218 within 2 minutes of closing the door.

If I could get a full refund on this item I would. It has never worked correctly and I dread even turning it on. I plan to call them again Monday to see what my options are.

Can anyone assist.......????
Good luck. I owned two pro 575 Neither one of them would keep a low temperatures. Set it at 180 and it would stay at 210 to 220. Got my money back.

I know this is an older thread but the ambient temps can play a role, and it’s not Traeger fault, it’s simple science. I’m not saying this is always the case but it can be. If it’s 80 degrees outside and the sun is shining it is not unheard of for it to be well over 100 degrees inside the grill before a fire is lit. Adding a tea candle could take the temps over 160 degrees inside.
If you’re in the shade and the temp inside the grill before you light it is only like 70-80 degrees and it still can’t stay below 200 there is an issue.

I know this is an older thread but the ambient temps can play a role, and it’s not Traeger fault, it’s simple science. I’m not saying this is always the case but it can be. If it’s 80 degrees outside and the sun is shining it is not unheard of for it to be well over 100 degrees inside the grill before a fire is lit. Adding a tea candle could take the temps over 160 degrees inside.
If you’re in the shade and the temp inside the grill before you light it is only like 70-80 degrees and it still can’t stay below 200 there is an issue.
Simple Science!!!! Lol. How about simple mechanics? If the inside of your grill is at or above the set temp and the grill still fires up to add more heat then it is a Traeger issue plain and simple

So if your grill is in the sun and its at 140 degree already, you set it at 170 and it lights and gets to 200. Do you think it should shut completely off and then relight again once it gets down below 170? I'm just saying with the smallest flame possible there are some times it cannot stay at the lowest temp setting. I also assuming it is not designed to shut off and on in those instances.

So if your grill is in the sun and its at 140 degree already, you set it at 170 and it lights and gets to 200. Do you think it should shut completely off and then relight again once it gets down below 170? I'm just saying with the smallest flame possible there are some times it cannot stay at the lowest temp setting. I also assuming it is not designed to shut off and on in those instances.
No, It doesn’t shut completely off. But you can hear it when it is calling for more heat. Typically you hear the fans and when it reaches temp they shut off. Mine was set at 185, You hear it kick on and it goes up to 200 roughly, then the fans kick off and the temp goes down(hopefully). That would be normal. However it doesn’t always kick off. Sometimes it goes up as high as 450 with it set at 165. This is totally a Traeger issue, absolutely nothing to do with ambient temp. I actually have texts from Traeger where a CS rep admitted that they know they have temp issues big time, I snap shot the texts and sent them back to them, thats how I got my money back! It is a huge known issue with Traeger. I since purchased a different grill, sits outside and even on a 95 degree day it holds + or - 5 degrees, like its supposed too. Ambient temp is a bullshit excuse, just like changing the parts on a brand new grill.

No, It doesn’t shut completely off. But you can hear it when it is calling for more heat. Typically you hear the fans and when it reaches temp they shut off. Mine was set at 185, You hear it kick on and it goes up to 200 roughly, then the fans kick off and the temp goes down(hopefully). That would be normal. However it doesn’t always kick off. Sometimes it goes up as high as 450 with it set at 165. This is totally a Traeger issue, absolutely nothing to do with ambient temp. I actually have texts from Traeger where a CS rep admitted that they know they have temp issues big time, I snap shot the texts and sent them back to them, thats how I got my money back! It is a huge known issue with Traeger. I since purchased a different grill, sits outside and even on a 95 degree day it holds + or - 5 degrees, like its supposed too. Ambient temp is a bullshit excuse, just like changing the parts on a brand new grill.

Attachments

• D99611CC-53F7-4768-970F-17CC99FA712E.png
    D99611CC-53F7-4768-970F-17CC99FA712E.png
    132.3 KB · Views: 37
Not sure if that pic came out, set at 245 and it went to 457!!!!

Not sure if that pic came out, set at 245 and it went to 457!!!!
Also, My Traeger was never in the sun

You should probably not post here anymore. Telling other posters that are trying to help that they are offering "BS excuses" is extremely poor form. This site isn't affiliated with traeger. It's just a community of people who enjoy cooking outside and conversating.

I would try to check the internal ambient temperature and compare with the Traeger reading.
Does it make good smoke at the lowest settings?
A 575 hardly makes smoke at all..no super smoke for that lvl of grill. I had to get smoke tubes.

You should probably not post here anymore. Telling other posters that are trying to help that they are offering "BS excuses" is extremely poor form. This site isn't affiliated with traeger. It's just a community of people who enjoy cooking outside and conversating.
Not saying that the people posting are giving bs excuses, saying that Traeger gives you bs excuses when they know they have an issue. I have text proof. Just telling people that had the same issue as me that Traeger has not fixed it. I am in no way saying that the people in this thread are wrong.

Good luck. I owned two pro 575 Neither one of them would keep a low temperatures. Set it at 180 and it would stay at 210 to 220. Got my money back.
Morristex Apparently my texts are hurting some people’s feelings. I have only posted facts. Traeger has issues with temp control. Its a known fact and I have talked to many people with this issue as well as I have had. When you call Traeger they give everyone the same answers, did you buy our pellets? Is the grill in the sun? Is the hopper overloaded? Its the same old scheme every time someone has an issue with temp control. They walk you through all of this, and even send you replacement parts for a brand new grill! Which does not work. You can get your money back, just be persistent. They know they have this issue. As for the Jackass that told me maybe I shouldn’t post on here, maybe you should hide and never hear the truth, because all of my comments are fact, I have dealt with the Traeger temperature nightmare

Morristex Apparently my texts are hurting some people’s feelings. I have only posted facts. Traeger has issues with temp control. Its a known fact and I have talked to many people with this issue as well as I have had. When you call Traeger they give everyone the same answers, did you buy our pellets? Is the grill in the sun? Is the hopper overloaded? Its the same old scheme every time someone has an issue with temp control. They walk you through all of this, and even send you replacement parts for a brand new grill! Which does not work. You can get your money back, just be persistent. They know they have this issue. As for the Jackass that told me maybe I shouldn’t post on here, maybe you should hide and never hear the truth, because all of my comments are fact, I have dealt with the Traeger temperature nightmare
And buy that I mean CMTiger

I've complained and griped about several things with my Traeger since I've gotten. Fortunately I or Traeger has been able to resolve them all. I think if you set the grill at 245 or whatever and it reads 450 that's awful....even if that's not the actual reading it's surely bad.

That said, you have certainly mocked other posters here trying to offer suggestions and you've now called me a jackass. This sort of thing doesn't make the board better. Hope you are enjoying your new pellet grill though....whichever brand you ended up landing on.

I've complained and griped about several things with my Traeger since I've gotten. Fortunately I or Traeger has been able to resolve them all. I think if you set the grill at 245 or whatever and it reads 450 that's awful....even if that's not the actual reading it's surely bad.

That said, you have certainly mocked other posters here trying to offer suggestions and you've now called me a jackass. This sort of thing doesn't make the board better. Hope you are enjoying your new pellet grill though....whichever brand you ended up landing on.
EDITED for inappropriate behavior, attacking or excessive arguing with fellow forum members will not be tolerated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back