Won't hold low temps - not even close

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morristex

Reaction score
Grill
575 Pro
I have owned a 575 Pro for three months and it has never worked correctly. I've already had to change the control board out one time and I've had 3-4 long phone sessions with their support team (who are all nice and helpful) At present the unit will not maintain anywhere near the 180 degree temp. It ignites then quickly gets to 218-220 and hovers around there. Temp here is 84, there is almost no wind, I am using new Traeger pellets, etc. etc. I've tried to get the low temp set several times. I even turned down the temp to the lowest setting - 165 degrees and it still hovers around 210 - 212. I understand it is not designed to hold precisely 180, but it should bet within a few degrees in this weather. Certainly holding 36-40 degrees above the recommended temp is not acceptable. I can document all this with time stamped photos of the app.

Today after it was holding at 220 for 45 minutes I tried opening the door to let it reduce the temp, which it did, but it quickly ran back up to 218 within 2 minutes of closing the door.

If I could get a full refund on this item I would. It has never worked correctly and I dread even turning it on. I plan to call them again Monday to see what my options are.

Can anyone assist.......????

My Pro22 did this so I upgraded to the 575... I can do jerky at 170-185° and hold it.

That's disappointing for sure.

Am only assuming they won't. If there is not a clear and easy to define fix, I will find out Monday morning.

I am tired of screwing with his gadget. Love the concept & design, but it has been a total headache.

Unit is actually 4 months old. My son has a similar WiFi unit and his works great. Bought this through Amazon.

One problem is every time I call it seems we may have resolved the issue. Or so they seem to tell me.

I just shut the unit down. Temp was set to 165 for past 40 minutes. Current temp was 215.

That's sad dude...

Traeger states that on certain grills 15 to 25 degrees +- is acceptable from set temp. Then you said it is 84 ambient temp where you are, that also makes it hard for the grill to maintain set temp. Then there is the sun, if the sun is shining directly on the grill it is even harder to maintain set temp. Then you need to confirm actual grill temp with a 3rd party thermometer.

Grill is under a patio so do direct sun. From 165 setting to 215 actual temp is 50 degrees. Can't imagine anyone would say that’s OK.
Good point re a 3rd party thermometer but even if actual temp were off, the software should try and adjust the grill to it.

Mine 780 runs constantly 20 cooler, so to maintain
190 I have the grill set to 210. And yes 50 is not acceptable.

Agreed, the temp is above spec, get to a manager at Traeger. Clearly at minimum temp setting the grill feed rate is still too high. If you are in the shade it should be able to maintain a low temp.

I have owned a 575 Pro for three months and it has never worked correctly. I've already had to change the control board out one time and I've had 3-4 long phone sessions with their support team (who are all nice and helpful) At present the unit will not maintain anywhere near the 180 degree temp. It ignites then quickly gets to 218-220 and hovers around there. Temp here is 84, there is almost no wind, I am using new Traeger pellets, etc. etc. I've tried to get the low temp set several times. I even turned down the temp to the lowest setting - 165 degrees and it still hovers around 210 - 212. I understand it is not designed to hold precisely 180, but it should bet within a few degrees in this weather. Certainly holding 36-40 degrees above the recommended temp is not acceptable. I can document all this with time stamped photos of the app.

Today after it was holding at 220 for 45 minutes I tried opening the door to let it reduce the temp, which it did, but it quickly ran back up to 218 within 2 minutes of closing the door.

If I could get a full refund on this item I would. It has never worked correctly and I dread even turning it on. I plan to call them again Monday to see what my options are.

I would try to check the internal ambient temperature and compare with the Traeger reading.
Does it make good smoke at the lowest settings?

I would try to check the internal ambient temperature and compare with the Traeger reading.
Does it make good smoke at the lowest settings?
The thing is, the controller sees the indicated temp. So if it sees 220F when set to 165F, then it will slow the auger until the temp reads the set temp, OR, it will slow the auger to its minimum feed speed, whichever happens first.

In this case, it seems that the minimum feed speed is too high, keeping the temp too high

I agree that a 3rd party temp monitor would be helpful to know the "real" temp. However, normally the grills will hold a set temp, the actual measured temp by another probe can be high or low, but the grill should hold to it's set temp.

I had the same issues. I changed multiple parts and yet nothing. Spent a number of times on the phone with CS. Talked with 3 or 4 different CS reps, they all talked me through the same stuff. Is it clean? Well yes it is, but this started when it was brand new! Are your pellets old? LOL, my grill is brand new and yes I bought Traeger pellets (fyi, Traeger is the only one that recommends you only use their pellets1) Is it too hot outside????????? WTF It is a temp probe, if the inside of the damn grill is too hot, then dont add more heat, right? simple? So my question to that answer is What temperature does it have to be outside for this grill to work properly? Seriously!!! What a lame bunch of excuses this company has. I recommend you do what I did, cut your losses and give your Traeger to someone you dont like and buy a decent pellet grill that actually will hold the temp within 10 degrees (yes they make them, and I have one, and it doesnt care what the outside temp is!!!!!)

Traeger states that on certain grills 15 to 25 degrees +- is acceptable from set temp. Then you said it is 84 ambient temp where you are, that also makes it hard for the grill to maintain set temp. Then there is the sun, if the sun is shining directly on the grill it is even harder to maintain set temp. Then you need to confirm actual grill temp with a 3rd party thermometer.
No, they say maybe 15 degrees plus or minus. And the ambient temp is a bullshit excuse. If you are looking to do something slow and low you can only do on a day the outside temp is what you need???? I do not get that. Its a thermostat with a control board, if you set the temp to 170, it should stay within 15 degrees of that. Mine goes from 170 to 240 at times. It did it when it was 50 degrees outside, it did it when it was 70 degrees outside, it did it when it was almost 100 degrees outside. So, mister Traeger supporter, what temp does the outside ambient temp need to be for me to use my Traeger 575Pro to cook at a 170 degree setting? I would love to know that answer. And, does Traeger sell different grills for each outside ambient temp? That would be handy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back